The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snowflake39
That's not true, it doesn't have to be 2000 words; that's the maximum. I have spoken to many people who are submitting essays of 500-1500 words so trust me you won't be the only one who didn't write 1999 words! Don't worry too much about that. Quality over quantity, remember.

Thank you so much ! I'm gonna write it again as I tried so hard to write more stuff it ended up being rubbish :biggrin:
Original post by tamara98
Thank you so much ! I'm gonna write it again as I tried so hard to write more stuff it ended up being rubbish :biggrin:

Start off with a good introduction, talk about the setting, the theme and things like that and link it to your question,you'll soon find that the word count builds up. Good luck!
Have any of you had this problem?
A professor was supposed to go through my essay and mark it, except now he's fallen ill. There's only him in my university who takes English literature per se, and the last bit of work I've done relating to literature was in December. Should I give my work to my teacher in school and explain the situation to Oxford? Someone help!
Original post by Cupitor
Hello Miss
I think you should ask that question directly to the college. That's the only way to be sure of an answer.
No one takes the responsibility of their reply on TSR.

Good Luck :smile:

okay, thank you :smile: would you recommend calling or emailing the college?
Original post by claudiar99
okay, thank you :smile: would you recommend calling or emailing the college?

Doesn't matter, really.
Perhaps phone call will give you an immediate answer.

Welcome :smile:
Original post by thehollowcrown
Thanks haha, same to you! All we can do is give it our best. I have applied for straight history at Brasenose, how about you? Good luck with the HAT! :smile:

Have either of you two come across any other Brasenose history applicants? I'm pretty sure you two are the only ones I've found and from what i can see Max is History&Politics
To whom can I give my essays to be marked?? Can I give them to my high school teacher?
Original post by JDHOrchard
Have either of you two come across any other Brasenose history applicants? I'm pretty sure you two are the only ones I've found and from what i can see Max is History&Politics

also a HisPol Brasenose applicant! don't know why there aren't more of us since the forum on here seems to describe BNC as one of the best colleges
Original post by Brandoncarlin
Course: Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular)

College: Queen's

GCSE grades: 5 A* 3 A 1 C

AS grades: AAA

A2 grades (predicted): AAA

I sent my application to UCAS around 15th October, received acknowledgement from Queen's. Best part is that I don't have to take an admissions test for my course! :biggrin:

I have also applied for Biochemistry (St Hilda's). You are right! It's such a relief not having to take an admissions test or sending any written work. Where else have you applied to?

Good luck!
Original post by magic_is_might
also a HisPol Brasenose applicant! don't know why there aren't more of us since the forum on here seems to describe BNC as one of the best colleges

There aren't many HisPol applicants in general haha, I've applied for HisPol at Magdalen :smile:

The ones I see most often mentioned on here are St Catz, Worcester, Keble and Christ Church
Original post by JDHOrchard
Have either of you two come across any other Brasenose history applicants?

Ancient His and Arch, if that counts! :smile:
Original post by Ashtwe
To whom can I give my essays to be marked?? Can I give them to my high school teacher?

Yep, that's what I did.
Original post by somnacin
Yep, that's what I did.

Yeah but I'm already at uni. Will that be ok?
Original post by Ashtwe
Yeah but I'm already at uni. Will that be ok?

Oh, no wonder; but why would you ask your high school teacher to mark your recent work instead of the current profs?
Original post by somnacin
Oh, no wonder; but why would you ask your high school teacher to mark your recent work instead of the current profs?

Long story. The professor at uni, who teaches lit, is ill. I've not done literature in close to a year, so much for recent written work. Should I email Oxford?
Original post by Brandoncarlin
Course: Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular)

College: Queen's

GCSE grades: 5 A* 3 A 1 C

AS grades: AAA

A2 grades (predicted): AAA

I sent my application to UCAS around 15th October, received acknowledgement from Queen's. Best part is that I don't have to take an admissions test for my course! :biggrin:

mate you need a A*AA, and you're only predicted AAA. Are you confident that you'll get an offer
Original post by antigone-
There aren't many HisPol applicants in general haha, I've applied for HisPol at Magdalen :smile:

The ones I see most often mentioned on here are St Catz, Worcester, Keble and Christ Church

hopefully that's a good thing! I would imagine St Catz is popular bc it has a better success rate for state school applicants, and well Christ church is Christ church. hopefully we both get interviews!
Original post by magic_is_might
hopefully that's a good thing! I would imagine St Catz is popular bc it has a better success rate for state school applicants, and well Christ church is Christ church. hopefully we both get interviews!

St Catz has the largest number of students too I believe so it's proportionate. I hope so too, best of luck :smile:
INTERVIEW INVITATIONS

Since there has been a discussion on TSR about interview invitations we thought it would be helpful to issue some general guidance. Brasenose will send these out giving at least one working week's notice. At the same time we will also send out notification to any applicants that we are unfortunately unable to interview. The communications will go out subject by subject.

The timing of these letters is not completely under our control because the decisions are taken jointly by the College selectors and the Departments concerned. In consequence, although we will contact applicants as soon as short-listing is completed, the timing of the notification will vary according to subject. We will only be writing to those of you who made a direct application to Brasenose or who have been reallocated to us. There will probably be some variation in the timing of College letters just as there was in sending out confirmation emails after you applied but notifications hopefully should not be too widely spaced.

All this may mean that in a particular school some students know the outcome before others. We appreciate that this is not ideal but unlike GCSE and A-level/IB/Scottish Highers results, there is no single results day for interview selection. There is a single results day for final decisions about places for all Oxford Colleges at the end of the process - Wednesday 6th January.

As you will appreciate, subjects have varying numbers of applicants and we need to ensure that everyone receives the correct letter. Sometimes there may also be a delay associated with a particular application. These are the main reasons why the notifications cannot all be sent out for each subject from all of the Colleges on the same day.

This is all we can say about the dates of interview decisions. We will not be announcing the expected date of invitations because we do not wish to put you on edge (sometimes there are unexpected delays) so please do not contact us with queries about this particular aspect of admissions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Guys, a few questions when it comes to written work that is a Microsoft Word document:

1. What font should I use?
2. Size of letters?
3. Can I bold/italic words with the aim of emphasizing them?
4. Spacing: none, single, 1.5 lines or other option?
5. Can use the option "first line" at the beginning of every paragraph?

Thanks! :biggrin:

And when it comes to the tests, I know you all did them well, you are stressed too much to accurately evaluate the situation! Don't worry!
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending