The Student Room Group

Which university to choose?!

I'm finding it hard to decide which universities to apply to. So far I have 7 in mind all of which offer really good modules and also a placement or year abroad which I'm really interested in. My most favoured uni's at the moment are:

-Manchester Uni - criminology
-Brighton Uni - applied psychology & criminology
-Essex uni - criminology & social psychology
-Leeds uni - criminal justice & criminology.

The last 3 I can't decide on and can't seem to weigh any of them up. Would anyone be able to help me please? They are:

-Birmingham City uni - criminology
-Southampton uni - criminology & psychology
-Nottingham Trent - criminology & psychology or criminology as a single.

My a levels are A*BB
And I have 5 GCSEs B-C including maths and English, if that helps.
Original post by CharleeB96
I'm finding it hard to decide which universities to apply to. So far I have 7 in mind all of which offer really good modules and also a placement or year abroad which I'm really interested in. My most favoured uni's at the moment are:

-Manchester Uni - criminology
-Brighton Uni - applied psychology & criminology
-Essex uni - criminology & social psychology
-Leeds uni - criminal justice & criminology.

The last 3 I can't decide on and can't seem to weigh any of them up. Would anyone be able to help me please? They are:

-Birmingham City uni - criminology
-Southampton uni - criminology & psychology
-Nottingham Trent - criminology & psychology or criminology as a single.

My a levels are A*BB
And I have 5 GCSEs B-C including maths and English, if that helps.

Hello!

I am a current student at the university of Essex :smile: I have finished my LLB law degree here and I decided to stay for a masters. I just wanted you to know that you can ask me anything regarding Essex! I also have a few friends who have studied or are studying Criminology and Psychology and they loved the course - it's so interesting!

Hope I helped a little bit with your decision!

^Andriana :h:
Reply 2
Original post by andriana16
Hello!

I am a current student at the university of Essex :smile: I have finished my LLB law degree here and I decided to stay for a masters. I just wanted you to know that you can ask me anything regarding Essex! I also have a few friends who have studied or are studying Criminology and Psychology and they loved the course - it's so interesting!

Hope I helped a little bit with your decision!

^Andriana :h:

Hey,

Thanks for the response. Essex is definitely in my top 5 as I'm really interested in doing a placement for certain! I looked at the course in more depth and it turns out I prefer the criminology & social psychology degree they offer. I've seen that the course is predominantly exams over coursework and that's the only issue I have at the mine too. What's the nightlife like?
Hey,

Thanks for the response. Essex is definitely in my top 5 as I'm really interested in doing a placement for certain! I looked at the course in more depth and it turns out I prefer the criminology & social psychology degree they offer. I've seen that the course is predominantly exams over coursework and that's the only issue I have at the mine too. What's the nightlife like?

Hello,I currently study Psychology at the University of Essex!
The nightlife in Colchester is good, there's a club on campus and in the town. The best part of the nightlife is definitely the pubs and bars though. There's a real range of different bars in the town that are always great for a night out.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Natalie.
Hey,

Hello!
No worries! Yes I see what you mean - if this is something that affects you like causes you stress and anxiety don't worry, there are even sessions where you can control your it. Yoga helps a lot too! Also with a good and strong preparation your exam results can be really really good - I am stressful but it turned out that my exam results were better than that of my coursework.
And about the nightlife, I've seen that Natalie has replied to you and she is absolutely right :smile:

Hope that helps!
^Andriana
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks so much for the advice!

I find myself in a sticky situation though, I've chosen my top 4 universities being:

Manchester - criminology
Brighton - applied psychology & criminology
Leeds - criminal justice & crinibology
Nottingham Trent - psychology with criminology

I can't decide whether to apply to Essex (as I've heard about how good the uni is for criminology) or to go for Liverpool John Moore? I'm torn. I'm also choosing cities because I know the nightlife will be guaranteed and I do like to go out.. A lot haha
Reply 6
Thanks so much for the advice!

I find myself in a sticky situation though, I've chosen my top 4 universities being:

Manchester - criminology
Brighton - applied psychology & criminology
Leeds - criminal justice & crinibology
Nottingham Trent - psychology with criminology

I can't decide whether to apply to Essex (as I've heard about how good the uni is for criminology) or to go for Liverpool John Moore? I'm torn. I'm also choosing cities because I know the nightlife will be guaranteed and I do like to go out.. A lot haha

I'm currently a student at Essex in my third year so I can't really vouch much for Liverpool John Moore but I can answer any questions you might have about Essex! With regards to the nightlife, even though Colchester isn't a major city, there is still a real buzz around nightlife here at Essex. We have a club on campus which is really popular with all of the students and they put on a wide range of genres and nights out on pretty much every night through the week! So really, most students at Essex don't feel the need to head into town much.

However, there is still nightlife in town, there are lots of bars and clubs there too! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Jess194
I'm currently a student at Essex in my third year so I can't really vouch much for Liverpool John Moore but I can answer any questions you might have about Essex! With regards to the nightlife, even though Colchester isn't a major city, there is still a real buzz around nightlife here at Essex. We have a club on campus which is really popular with all of the students and they put on a wide range of genres and nights out on pretty much every night through the week! So really, most students at Essex don't feel the need to head into town much.

However, there is still nightlife in town, there are lots of bars and clubs there too! :smile:

Ok, so I've finally decided my top four
Manchester university
Leeds university
Brighton university
Nottingham Trent

But I'm in two minds about essex, I've heard really good reviews on the criminology course but the campus puts me off along with the reviews of nightlife? I'm not too sure what to do
Ok, so I've finally decided my top four
Manchester university
Leeds university
Brighton university
Nottingham Trent

But I'm in two minds about essex, I've heard really good reviews on the criminology course but the campus puts me off along with the reviews of nightlife? I'm not too sure what to do

Hey,
What is it about the campus that puts you off?
I understand you like to go out, a lot of students that are at Essex do. I personally like to go out to Colchester town for the bars but then if I want a big night out, like for Halloween, I go to London. It's just less than an hour by train so is really easy to get to. Obviously, if you go to a university in a big city you may have that there but I think you're better off going to a university that is really good for your course.
In saying that, Colchester has a great nightlife and I don't think you would be disappointed if you came here. Although it's a town and not a city, it is big for a town so has great nightlife.
My advice would be to try and come to an open day if you haven't already :smile:
Natalie.
Reply 9
hey guys, i want to study criminology at uni but am really stuck choosing which one i have looked at a few but i don't know, can anyone recommend any unis they think would be good? i have 240 tariff points.
Original post by fozboz
hey guys, i want to study criminology at uni but am really stuck choosing which one i have looked at a few but i don't know, can anyone recommend any unis they think would be good? i have 240 tariff points.

Hello,

Have a look at the University of Essex website and search about the Criminology course - you will find the entry requirements there as well :smile:

^Andriana

Quick Reply

Latest