The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TDL22
I had an open offer and today my campus code on ucas changed to Queen's College

CONGRATULATIONS! :party2:
Original post by Karamt
Hello,

I am planning to apply to Oxford for 2016 entry.

However, I am taking the SAT-R in October and the SAT II tests in November.

I have no previous qualifications so will the University of Oxford offer me a conditional offer based merely on my personal statement, reference, and MAT test?
May I ask how much you got on the MAT?

I'm not familiar with SAT tests but I assume you'd be able to get an offer based on those things alone. http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications

Unfortunately you don't always find out your actual score if you get in as the offices are very busy handling everybody's offers and numerous phone calls at the time I'd imagine (but if you're unsuccessful you do always find out I think). I could probably phone up now and find out but honestly I'm fine with not knowing. I did however receive a message from the CompSci Dept on this site saying that my score wasn't stellar but it was fairly high above the cutoff point (which I'd assume to be around 65 judging by past papers). Also the MAT is primarily used for selecting candidates for interview more than anything.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aasvogel
Great stuff! If it's social and friendly that's all that matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a bloody smashing college, couple of dodge PPE tutors though, but little work and you'll have a great time. It's fairly small and in my year at least it is a bit cliquey, slight north south divide but there's all the banter.
Does anyone know whether Jesus college has sufficient kitchen facilities for me to be entirely self catered if i chose? I can't find anything on the website about what facilities they have, and although i know a lot of people across the university do choose to eat in college, is it actually possible/feasible for a first year in college to cook for themselves if they wished? Or is it always just a better decision to eat in college? Thanks!
Original post by Marakh
It's a bloody smashing college, couple of dodge PPE tutors though, but little work and you'll have a great time. It's fairly small and in my year at least it is a bit cliquey, slight north south divide but there's all the banter.

Sounds great! Looking forward to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1385
Original post by hoollsss
Does anyone know whether Jesus college has sufficient kitchen facilities for me to be entirely self catered if i chose? I can't find anything on the website about what facilities they have, and although i know a lot of people across the university do choose to eat in college, is it actually possible/feasible for a first year in college to cook for themselves if they wished? Or is it always just a better decision to eat in college? Thanks!

I got the impression that Oxford doesn't have self catered facilities for first years, presumably to avoid time wasted on cooking, although don't take my word for it as I didn't look too far into it and I'm going to Brasenose, which may have different rules. I do know however that each staircase at Brasenose apparently has a little kitchenette with basic appliances like toasters and microwaves, which are useful for cooking looooads of things. There was information on it in my starter pack, if you've received yours in the post and you haven't read it yet then I'd recommend looking in there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yaz97
I got the impression that Oxford doesn't have self catered facilities for first years, presumably to avoid time wasted on cooking, although don't take my word for it as I didn't look too far into it and I'm going to Brasenose, which may have different rules. I do know however that each staircase at Brasenose apparently has a little kitchenette with basic appliances like toasters and microwaves, which are useful for cooking looooads of things. There was information on it in my starter pack, if you've received yours in the post and you haven't read it yet then I'd recommend looking in there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the first year and especially first Term nearly everyone eats the college food because it is delicious and very reasonably priced. Taking meals with other students is also a great way to meet people. The 2nd year rooms at nearby Frewin Annexe have kitchen facilities for self-catering but most undergraduates find it hard to shake the habit of eating the food prepared by Lorraine (head chef) and her team.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
In the first year and especially first Term nearly everyone eats the college food because it is delicious and very reasonably priced. Taking meals with other students is also a great way to meet people. The 2nd year rooms at nearby Frewin Annexe have kitchen facilities for self-catering but most undergraduates find it hard to shake the habit of eating the food prepared by Lorraine (head chef) and her team.

I stayed in the Frewin annexe when I was at UNIQ, it was very nice!
Original post by Plagioclase
I stayed in the Frewin annexe when I was at UNIQ, it was very nice!

UNIQ ran for five weeks this summer. Chloe Wall (student site manager for week 1) is writing a feature on her experiences for our website's news section. We hope you enjoyed yourself and found it worthwhile.
This is probably a really stupid question, but for freshers' week do you have to pre-book tickets to things? I know people at other unis have bought wristbands and stuff...is it a different system at Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Feeebz
This is probably a really stupid question, but for freshers' week do you have to pre-book tickets to things? I know people at other unis have bought wristbands and stuff...is it a different system at Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my college's freshers pack there's a sheet to book clubbing nights but that's about it?
Original post by Feeebz

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the college - which college do you have a place at?

At Univ all your tickets are sorted by the college and you just have to turn up at the lodge if you want to go on the night out :smile:
Original post by Lucilou101
It depends on the college - which college do you have a place at?

At Univ all your tickets are sorted by the college and you just have to turn up at the lodge if you want to go on the night out :smile:

Lincoln! Ah that makes perfect sense! I have not yet received my freshers' mailing, and it was freaking me out that people on the Facebook group seemed to know what they were doing! Haha thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Feeebz
Lincoln! Ah that makes perfect sense! I have not yet received my freshers' mailing, and it was freaking me out that people on the Facebook group seemed to know what they were doing! Haha thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly - ignore most of the events about Freshers club tickets etc that are on Facebook. They're just the clubs trying to reel you in :P

If you notice, both the Offer Holders group and the Freshers group were made by the two owners of an Event company...
Reply 1394
I'd anyone else kind of freaking out about the amount of stuff that needs sorting before we start? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yaz97
I'd anyone else kind of freaking out about the amount of stuff that needs sorting before we start? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm half super excited because it means it's all real, half drowning in paperwork to be filled in and work to be done!
Guys which one of youse has snapchat? :smile: pop it down!
hey does anybody know anything about mixing with people from other colleges, just wondering because im excited to meet such a wide range of different people from across the university!
Guys, could you please tell me what your MLAT results were?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by patricio_miguel
Guys, could you please tell me what got MLAT results were?

Sorry, I have no idea what my MLAT results were... :/ are you an applicant or a student? :smile: