The Student Room Group

Could cheerleading help to challenge gender stereotypes?

Scroll to see replies

I
Original post by JD1lla
So merely becoming a 'cheer guy' gets you 'gash'? Nothing to do with their personalities or anything..?

Why are you being so rude/defensive?

It multiplies chances of doing so greatly. So long as one actually isn't gay ofc.
A personality that allows for being very good at a demanding sport (which for some reason, most guys in cheer tend to be), is attractive.

It's fun to be sarcastic :biggrin: (Especially on a cheer related thread with so many posts full of false stereotypes and misconceptions)

Original post by JD1lla
Don't the females have to do the same thing when there aren't any guys in the team?

Not usually on their own, we did it in teams. Very few are able to partner stunt, and an extremely tiny minority of girls are able to cupie (one handed stunt).
So men at high levels is super impressive stuff as a result.
Reply 41
Original post by Inazuma
I

It multiplies chances of doing so greatly. So long as one actually isn't gay ofc.
A personality that allows for being very good at a demanding sport (which for some reason, most guys in cheer tend to be), is attractive.

It's fun to be sarcastic :biggrin: (Especially on a cheer related thread with so many posts full of false stereotypes and misconceptions)

Not usually on their own, we did it in teams. Very few are able to partner stunt, and an extremely tiny minority of girls are able to cupie (one handed stunt).
So men at high levels is super impressive stuff as a result.

What misconceptions and false stereotypes have been presented in this thread? Could you address them without the sarcasm?
Original post by JD1lla
What misconceptions and false stereotypes have been presented in this thread? Could you address them without the sarcasm?

Pompoms, tututs, batons, chanting.

All plays into the annoying conception that cheer is just fluffy dancing around at games.
Original post by Inazuma
Cheer guys get all the gash...
Just sayin..

And I know you are pulling an assumption out of your ass thanks to your complete lack of actual insight into the sport. (-:

See previous photo I posted. I'd say it's pretty enviable.

How do i find it? Doubt it's enviable.

EDIT: Just saw it , that's quite impressive. The strength required isn't that much but the balancing tho O_O
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Inazuma
It appears neither the academics nor posters above have any knowledge of cheer, else they'd know that, particularly at high levels, it already is a co-ed sport. (and certainly not full of batons or pompoms - how clueless!)
Simply , a guy who can toss around a girl above his head with such precision is already way above the league of most other guys (especially those in this thread for instance).

Well I can toss a girl off... isn't that good enough??
Reply 45
While I'm all for closing any gender divide - it should be optional, not forced.
Original post by Andy98
While I'm all for closing any gender divide - it should be optional, not forced.

Exactly.

And there shouldn't be any other kooks claiming that a man who "cheers" is a better man who doesn't ... how frivolous.
Reply 47
Original post by The Blue Axolotl
Exactly.

And there shouldn't be any other kooks claiming that a man who "cheers" is a better man who doesn't ... how frivolous.

There's kooks about everything, I've stopped paying attention to them.
Original post by Andy98
There's kooks about everything, I've stopped paying attention to them.

Wll I'm making a stand against kooks, especially those who think we can complete eradicate gender divides. It's simple, men and women are different and always will be, so having these "men should be cheerleadrs" BS is comical.
Reply 49
Wll I'm making a stand against kooks, especially those who think we can complete eradicate gender divides. It's simple, men and women are different and always will be, so having these "men should be cheerleadrs" BS is comical.

Indeed
There's no way in Hell a boy will want to do cheerleading (unless he is effeminate). Terrible idea...

Guys cheerlead all the time in america. Most squads have guys in them.
If anything I don't get why a guy wouldn't want to be a cheerleader

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrawbAri
Guys cheerlead all the time in america. Most squads have guys in them.
If anything I don't get why a guy wouldn't want to be a cheerleader

Cool story bro.
University of Alabama cheer squad
University of Alabama cheer squad

INB4 those guys are the subs for the football team...
Cool story bro.

Great response :rolleyes:
Great response :rolleyes:

Cheers, it's the least I can do for such a half-arsed response!
Cheers, it's the least I can do for such a half-arsed response!

How is is my response half arsed when all I did was try to let you know that in other places cheer leading is quite co-ed?
Probably in the UK it would be considered 'prissy' because it's not so common and not many people know a lot about it. But in the US it's a serious sport with cheerleading championships and everything. It would be quite strange to not see guys in most American university/highschool cheer squads.
Forget cheerleading tbh, the real problem in society is the gender inequality when it comes to a little thing called Magic the Gathering.Colleague recently got me to try it and see if I like it, disregarding the fact it seems to clearly be a win if you've got enough money to burn, there were about 40+ guys at this Friday evening competition. how many females? ONE. ONE FEMALE. This can't stand, this is the patriarchy in action, these guys are thirsty, we need enforced gender quotas right now. Why do women feel they can't play MtG, we need to start the education in schools I say.

...by the by ladies, and this will shock you tbh, a lot of singles available for you to peruse.
Reply 58
Original post by joey11223
Forget cheerleading tbh, the real problem in society is the gender inequality when it comes to a little thing called Magic the Gathering.Colleague recently got me to try it and see if I like it, disregarding the fact it seems to clearly be a win if you've got enough money to burn, there were about 40+ guys at this Friday evening competition. how many females? ONE. ONE FEMALE. This can't stand, this is the patriarchy in action, these guys are thirsty, we need enforced gender quotas right now. Why do women feel they can't play MtG, we need to start the education in schools I say.

...by the by ladies, and this will shock you tbh, a lot of singles available for you to peruse.

wtf?
Original post by TSR Mustafa
How do i find it? Doubt it's enviable.

EDIT: Just saw it , that's quite impressive. The strength required isn't that much but the balancing tho O_O

The strength is in getting up there - often done from a variety of flips up, or tumbles or swings :redface:
And yes, lotsa balance!

Well I can toss a girl off... isn't that good enough??

:lol:
Yep, that'll do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending