The Student Room Group

Is transgender-ism a medical condition ?

Apparently there is a medical condition called gender dysphoria:

"the condition of feeling one's emotional and psychological identity as male or female to be opposite to one's biological sex."

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/Pages/Introduction.aspx

There is a pharmaceutical drug to solve this condition:

"There was an excellent response to pimozide 2 mg daily, with a cessation of both cross-dressing and the wish for sex reassignment. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8839957

I am not trying to be offensive, just genuinely curious.

Scroll to see replies

Gender dysphoria is a medical condition. Being transgender is not. Any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
NHS makes this distinction

gender dysphoria discomfort or distress caused by a mismatch between a person’s gender identity and their biological sex assigned at birth

transsexualism the desire to live and be accepted as a member of the opposite sex, usually accompanied by the wish to have treatment to make their physical appearance more consistent with their gender identity

Reply 3
Original post by ItsLyanna
Gender dysphoria is a medical condition. Being transgender is not. Any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Literally, what's the difference ?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
NHS makes this distinction

gender dysphoria discomfort or distress caused by a mismatch between a person’s gender identity and their biological sex assigned at birth

transsexualism the desire to live and be accepted as a member of the opposite sex, usually accompanied by the wish to have treatment to make their physical appearance more consistent with their gender identity

Eh - can't the latter just be seen as a solution for the former? One feels 'discomfort or distress' from their biological sex, and thus seeks to change their body and live as the opposite sex? The wish to be accepted as such being a natural corollary from their belief that their sex and gender were a mismatch?

I should perhaps research for an answer myself, but I'm already too bogged down in mental stuff in writing my politics paper (social wellbeing questions lead down a dark and dangerous road for the unknowing, like myself).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Sir Candour
Eh - can't the latter just be seen as a solution for the former? One feels 'discomfort or distress' from their biological sex, and thus seeks to change their body and live as the opposite sex? The wish to be accepted as such being a natural corollary from their belief that their sex and gender were a mismatch?

I should perhaps research for an answer myself, but I'm already too bogged down in physiological stuff in writing my politics paper (social wellbeing questions lead down a dark and dangerous road for the unknowing, like myself).

I guess thinking they are in the wrong body might not necessarily cause distress but I get your point. And perhaps people with gender dysphoria don't necessarily feel they are willing to change sex, just that they are uncomfortable with their current sex. You can dislike circumstances without being committed or ready or willing to change them I guess.
Reply 6
They sound pretty similar
Original post by Mentally
Yes, its a mental disorder. But im not allowed to say that becauase now i'm going to be labelled transphobic

I support what you say. It is a mental disorder.
Original post by demx9
Apparently there is a medical condition called gender dysphoria:

"the condition of feeling one's emotional and psychological identity as male or female to be opposite to one's biological sex."

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/Pages/Introduction.aspx

There is a pharmaceutical drug to solve this condition:

"There was an excellent response to pimozide 2 mg daily, with a cessation of both cross-dressing and the wish for sex reassignment. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8839957

I am not trying to be offensive, just genuinely curious.

Did you read the conclusion of the case study you linked to? The drug worked in this single case ALONGSIDE therapy for a patient with a learning disability and should be *considered* in cases where gender dysphoria is doubtful.

If you're interested in the treatment recommended for trans people then http://www.wpath.org/uploaded_files/140/files/Standards%20of%20Care,%20V7%20Full%20Book.pdf is the result of all the medical and clinical studies carried out over the last 50+ years.
Right, as a trans woman, I think my opinion is a bit more weighted here.

Original post by demx9

Being transgender is not a medical condition, but gender dysphoria is. You can be transgender without being dysphoric - such as a trans woman who has had gender reassignment and facial feminization surgery, along with hormone replacement therapy. She may not suffer from gender dysphoria anymore (it's kind of the reason we have those things done), but she is still transgender - she does not identify with the gender with which she was assigned at birth.

Original post by Mentally
Yes, its a mental disorder. But im not allowed to say that becauase now i'm going to be labelled transphobic

Original post by richpanda
I support what you say. It is a mental disorder.

Gender dysphoria is, being transgender is not. That is where the distinction lies, and is why people are called transphobic for asserting such. Once again, if anyone has anymore questions, feel free to ask.
Original post by Sir Candour

I should perhaps research for an answer myself, but I'm already too bogged down in mental stuff in writing my politics paper (social wellbeing questions lead down a dark and dangerous road for the unknowing, like myself).

No, because there are plenty of people who suffer from Gender Dysphoria but do not want to make the transition to living as the other gender.

Being transgender is not a medical condition, but gender dysphoria is. You can be transgender without being dysphoric - such as a trans woman who has had gender reassignment and facial feminization surgery, along with hormone replacement therapy. She may not suffer from gender dysphoria anymore (it's kind of the reason we have those things done), but she is still transgender - she does not identify with the gender with which she was assigned at birth.

Gender dysphoria is, being transgender is not. That is where the distinction lies, and is why people are called transphobic for asserting such. Once again, if anyone has anymore questions, feel free to ask.

So gender dysphoria is the condition you have before you become transgender?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

So your saying:

- a man is born
- he thinks he is a woman
- he has both gender dysphoria and transgenderism
- he does a gender transformation to become a women
- no longer has gender dysphoria
- still transgender

But with the drug I linked none of this is necessary, the feeling of belonging to the other sex is removed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by demx9

Gender dysphoria is the condition, gender transitioning ('transgender-ism') is the treatment/cure for it.
Original post by demx9
But with the drug I linked none of this is necessary, the feeling of belonging to the other sex is removed.

It's pretty obvious you have some sort of weird agenda if you still think this after PQ corrected you.
Reply 15
Original post by SmashConcept
It's pretty obvious you have some sort of weird agenda if you still think this after PQ corrected you.

Well did they try using this drug in a larger context / proper study ? It would be interesting to see the result.
Original post by demx9
Well did they try using this drug in a larger context / proper study ? It would be interesting to see the result.
She gave you a link to the current body of research into treating gender dysphoria so if you're interested in the current body of research into treating gender dysphoria then maybe you should click on the link she gave you.

Not trying to be patronising or anything, if you need help with any other aspects of your life just give me a shout :yy:
Reply 17
Original post by PQ
Did you read the conclusion of the case study you linked to? The drug worked in this single case ALONGSIDE therapy for a patient with a learning disability and should be *considered* in cases where gender dysphoria is doubtful.

I did read it, the fact that the patient had learning disabilities isn't explicitly linked to the effectiveness of the drug itself. Also the study clearly mentions that the drug had the most impact on the state of the patient, not the psychotherapy.

If this is the case then why wan't this drug tried on more patients, to actually assess its effectiveness on a larger scale ?
Original post by DiddyDec
So gender dysphoria is the condition you have before you become transgender?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gender dysphoria is the manifestation of being in the wrong body, so to speak.
Original post by demx9
So your saying:

- a man is born
- he thinks he is a woman
- he has both gender dysphoria and transgenderism
- he does a gender transformation to become a women
- no longer has gender dysphoria
- still transgender

Ignoring your use of the incorrect pronouns, that is somewhat accurate. And if that drug worked as you says it does, then why would people like me still undergo difficult transitions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending