The Student Room Group

How many miles do you get from a full tank or half tank ?

Hi
I would really appreciate some advice.
I had a petrol car that I really loved and spent over £3,000 on repair in 3 years on it but I got rid of it a few months back for one reason, it was petrol and fuel economy was bad.
So I bought my current car, 1.8 TDCI mk2 focus. already I have spend a lot of money on unexpected repairs and still it needs more repairs. anyway it's written fuel economy is

urban - 39.2 mpg
extra urban mpg 69.2
combined - 52.3 mpg

I drive very very lightly and under speed limit, accelerating and braking very gently whilst anticipating the road ahead.
Yet after driving around 35 -40 miles the fuel needle starts to fall, then the timer it reaches the half way line I've done only about 180 miles and from there it seems to fall fast and I probably only get around 350 miles to a full tank and that is driving very carefully and eco friendly. this also includes several short motorway journeys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replaced EGR Valve and manifold,
currently the open circuit on MAF circuit

I should be getting somewhere minimum 550 out of a tank !!!!!!!!

What the heck is going on ?!?!?!?!

I feel I may as well have kept my petrol car
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
30L tank 600km
Reply 2
Original post by sandvika
30L tank 600km

what is that in miles ?
The trip computer in my car says I get around 17 mpg on average, which equates to around 300 miles per full tank. For the record, it has a 4.4L petrol engine. As such, I have to say that your car's fuel economy is outrageously poor for a 1.8 diesel. It certainly sounds like a dodgy car considering the fact that it needs repairs etc, so you'd maybe be better off getting a car that's in better condition.
Reply 4
Original post by I love life
what is that in miles ?

around 380 but its a motorbike
Reply 5
I've got a 1.8 petrol mk1 focus. From a full tank I get 60-80 miles before the needle moves (I really fill it right up though). My daily drive is 8 miles each way, most of the dual carriageway. I get maybe 340-360miles from a tank. If I've been on a run then I get 400-420 before I chicken out and admit defeat to the fuel warning light. Think my average overall is 33-38mpg. Maybe 42mpg on a run in good conditions.

You should be doing better than I am. Checked tyre pressures?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending