Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Computer Science 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by UnknownDude
Good Luck! I'm going next week.

I'm going that day as well, I guess you'll be the confused silhouette looking guy?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Just got a offer of AA! So happy! :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by Hareve

Nice one! Are you missing another A or do you only need two A's because you've already done Maths A2?
Original post by KingKumar
Nice one! Are you missing another A or do you only need two A's because you've already done Maths A2?

Thanks! Ive already done Maths A2 yeah.
I'm going that day as well, I guess you'll be the confused silhouette looking guy?

:biggrin: Hahahaha, I'll message ya nearer to the day so we can meet up!

Original post by Hareve

Congrats! Any tips on the Pre-Offer day?
:biggrin: Hahahaha, I'll message ya nearer to the day so we can meet up!

Congrats! Any tips on the Pre-Offer day?

Its honestly nothing to stress over at all, it is basically them showing off the University and convincing us to firm them. At the start of the informal group interview, we were told that the interviewer does not feed back to the admissions officer and so it doesnt actually affect your application (which does contradict what we were told at the start of the day but I trust the interviewer more than the presentation.) Felt like a group tutorial basically very very calm with only 3 general questions asked. (Questions were what in CompSci interests you? What Work Experience have you had? (or if none say about a project) and what previous compsci stuff have you done)
Original post by Hareve
Its honestly nothing to stress over at all, it is basically them showing off the University and convincing us to firm them. At the start of the informal group interview, we were told that the interviewer does not feed back to the admissions officer and so it doesnt actually affect your application (which does contradict what we were told at the start of the day but I trust the interviewer more than the presentation.) Felt like a group tutorial basically very very calm with only 3 general questions asked. (Questions were what in CompSci interests you? What Work Experience have you had? (or if none say about a project) and what previous compsci stuff have you done)

Thank you very much for the heads up!
Thank you very much for the heads up!

No problem! Good luck
It's just theres not much advertising for a Computer Science degree like Cambridge and Imperial. It just seems boring based on their 4 year old video. However, in the recent, I've seen graduates from Cambridge telling me that Bristols Computer Science department is very good so I really dont know because I haven't seen much yet. Guess I have to wait till the Pre-Offer day.

Bristol was my second choice university, but after the visit day I would say it is probably tied for first with Bath.

Also, for the group interview thing the guy just had a sheet with some notes about our personal statements and he went round asking each of us one thing. After that we just had a general discussion about topics in CS, for example computational complexity. Overall it was pretty relaxed and as long as you didn't lie on your PS it should be fine.
Original post by NamelessPersona
Bristol was my second choice university, but after the visit day I would say it is probably tied for first with Bath.

Also, for the group interview thing the guy just had a sheet with some notes about our personal statements and he went round asking each of us one thing. After that we just had a general discussion about topics in CS, for example computational complexity. Overall it was pretty relaxed and as long as you didn't lie on your PS it should be fine.

Nice! Im guessing it should be good. I suggest you go with Bristol since its computer science departmeny is great!
Reply 30
Original post by Hareve
Good luck

it should be fine.

Just wondering, what did most people wear to the visit day?
(edited 8 years ago)
Just wondering, what did most people wear to the visit day?

Informal things, the type that theyd regularly wear on the weekend with the exception of one person in a suit and a couple vaguely smart shirts.
I personally wore a t shirt and skinny jeans.
Just got an offer for AAB :biggrin:
Reply 33
Just got an offer for AAB :biggrin:

Well done! :smile: Is that a contextual offer?
Well done! :smile: Is that a contextual offer?

Thanks, and yeah it is contextual
Got an offer! Im guessing its AAA since Im doing Maths and Further Maths
Got an offer! Im guessing its AAA since Im doing Maths and Further Maths

Congrats man!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just received an invitation for a visit day on the 16th. Pretty excited, and it seems to be a more informal interview just asking me questions like why computer science, why Bristol, etc. Nothing scary then hopefully, but any advice would be great.

Anyway, has anyone else received an invite for the 16th as well?
Reply 38
Original post by Anonymoose12
I just received an invitation for a visit day on the 16th. Pretty excited, and it seems to be a more informal interview just asking me questions like why computer science, why Bristol, etc. Nothing scary then hopefully, but any advice would be great.

Well done! - pretty much means you're guaranteed an offer. The interview (which is in a group btw) was just a very small part of the day and, for me, the questions were very generic and not related to my personal statement - stuff like like why do you like CS, what's you're favourite topic, etc. I would look through your PS beforehand just in case as I think some interviewers may ask about it. My main advice for the day is to ask loads of questions - you have a lot of opportunity to talk to current students there and ask about the course, accommodation, student life, etc. Questions, demonstrations and short lectures/talks make up most of the day.
Currently in my first year doing computer science if anyone has any questions :smile:

Quick Reply