The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get into uni with 2 A-Levels and 3 AS Levels ?

Looking to drop maths next year after I finish the as section of the course. Right now, I'm finding Maths hard and feel unmotivated and I did plan to drop it and take law instead but my sixth form wouldn't allow me to do so.

I've only taken three a-levels though, ( Biology and Chemistry are my other two a- levels)

As a replacement for maths, I was thinking of taking Law, English Lit or History as my as levels for next year.

My biggest question is that, will universities allow me to do their course as the biochem courses I have looked state that I would need 3 a levels so will I be at a disadvantage when applying if I only have two A -Levels and 3 AS levels ?
You will not have enough UCAS points to get into university with 2 A-Levels but you can do a foundation year at university and then reapply to do your course(not sure if you can do this with biochem though)

Do ask a teacher for support but personally think you should stick to 3 A-Levels because you have more choices or if your college lets you, you can do biology,chemistry and a full A-level in a different subject in one your 2nd year
Original post by zrj
Looking to drop maths next year after I finish the as section of the course. Right now, I'm finding Maths hard and feel unmotivated and I did plan to drop it and take law instead but my sixth form wouldn't allow me to do so.

I've only taken three a-levels though, ( Biology and Chemistry are my other two a- levels)

As a replacement for maths, I was thinking of taking Law, English Lit or History as my as levels for next year.

My biggest question is that, will universities allow me to do their course as the biochem courses I have looked state that I would need 3 a levels so will I be at a disadvantage when applying if I only have two A -Levels and 3 AS levels ?

Some of the lower ranking universities might accept 2 A2 A Levels alongside 2 AS Levels (only the ones you don't take to A2 count as AS Levels, the ones you are taking to A2 don't count twice) but don't expect any of the mid-higher ranking unis to accept less than 3 A2's, so dropping Maths will severely limit where you can apply unless you can do a full a-level in a year instead.
Original post by zrj

Most universities work off the basis of grades rather than UCAS points so you are better to have the possibility of getting 3 A-levels than only getting an insufficient 2.
It all comes down to which university you are applying to. The upper and middle bound will generally consider grades over UCAS points and some lower bound unis will accept depending on points. Even then though, you can likely get more points through doing 3 A-levels than spending a little more time doing 2 A-levels.
Maths is also quite a good complementary course to Biochem so there is always that to take into consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest