The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nancy97
Guys, a few questions when it comes to written work that is a Microsoft Word document:

1. What font should I use?
2. Size of letters?
3. Can I bold/italic words with the aim of emphasizing them?
4. Spacing: none, single, 1.5 lines or other option?
5. Can use the option "first line" at the beginning of every paragraph?

Thanks! :biggrin:

And when it comes to the tests, I know you all did them well, you are stressed too much to accurately evaluate the situation! Don't worry!

I was told to use Times New Roman, size 12, line spacing 1.5 for all my documents in my current university. About bold/italicizing words and the 'first line'option, I don't know. For Oxford, I suppose you could play around with the font size, but don't go above 14. And try to use a regular font, like Times or Calibri or Arial. Don't go for anything fancy.
Could I also know how you're sending your written work? Typing it out, yeah, but are you printing it out and then getting it marked by your teacher and then scanning it?If not, how are you showing the teacher's comments?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
INTERVIEW INVITATIONS

Since there has been a discussion on TSR about interview invitations we thought it would be helpful to issue some general guidance. Brasenose will send these out giving at least one working week's notice. At the same time we will also send out notification to any applicants that we are unfortunately unable to interview. The communications will go out subject by subject.

The timing of these letters is not completely under our control because the decisions are taken jointly by the College selectors and the Departments concerned. In consequence, although we will contact applicants as soon as short-listing is completed, the timing of the notification will vary according to subject. We will only be writing to those of you who made a direct application to Brasenose or who have been reallocated to us. There will probably be some variation in the timing of College letters just as there was in sending out confirmation emails after you applied but notifications hopefully should not be too widely spaced.

All this may mean that in a particular school some students know the outcome before others. We appreciate that this is not ideal but unlike GCSE and A-level/IB/Scottish Highers results, there is no single results day for interview selection. There is a single results day for final decisions about places for all Oxford Colleges at the end of the process - Friday 8th January.

As you will appreciate, subjects have varying numbers of applicants and we need to ensure that everyone receives the correct letter. Sometimes there may also be a delay associated with a particular application. These are the main reasons why the notifications cannot all be sent out for each subject from all of the Colleges on the same day.

This is all we can say about the dates of interview decisions. We will not be announcing the expected date of invitations because we do not wish to put you on edge (sometimes there are unexpected delays) so please do not contact us with queries about this particular aspect of admissions.

Do you send out an email, written letter, or both?
Original post by binnsm
Hi I applied for Law at Brasenose also, you're the first person I've seen!

Hi! Good luck!
Do you mind me asking what you got at GCSE and AS, as a point of comparison?
I typed mine out, printed it and getting my teacher to mark it, then scanning it, saving to pdf and emailing it. I guess if you emailed it to your teacher they could write footnotes or comments on Word
Original post by Ashtwe
I was told to use Times New Roman, size 12, line spacing 1.5 for all my documents in my current university. About bold/italicizing words and the 'first line'option, I don't know. For Oxford, I suppose you could play around with the font size, but don't go above 14. And try to use a regular font, like Times or Calibri or Arial. Don't go for anything fancy.
Could I also know how you're sending your written work? Typing it out, yeah, but are you printing it out and then getting it marked by your teacher and then scanning it?If not, how are you showing the teacher's comments?

I suppose that all colleges require the same font and sizes of letters...Thanks. :biggrin:
But if anyone has any information about first line option and bolding/italics, I'd appreciate that!
Well, this is how I'm sending my written work: I type it out and also include teachers' comments (translated), then I print them and then give them to my teachers to mark them. And they will also sign those works.Then I'll scan them in PDF format and submit by email. :biggrin:

Original post by magic_is_might
I typed mine out, printed it and getting my teacher to mark it, then scanning it, saving to pdf and emailing it. I guess if you emailed it to your teacher they could write footnotes or comments on Word

Did you include teacher's comments in your written work?
Original post by Nancy97
I suppose that all colleges require the same font and sizes of letters...Thanks. :biggrin:
But if anyone has any information about first line option and bolding/italics, I'd appreciate that!
Well, this is how I'm sending my written work: I type it out and also include teachers' comments (translated), then I print them and then give them to my teachers to mark them. And they will also sign those works.Then I'll scan them in PDF format and submit by email. :biggrin:

Teacher's comments in footnotes?
Teacher's comments in footnotes?

Nope, I didn't include teacher's comments in footnotes. They are "below" the essay, but not at the bottom of the page.
By the way, recently I've been surfing through the Oxford web-site and glanced the page about disabilities, then followed the links, read some information... and came up with the question - should I have informed or inform the university about my Chronic Hypothyroidism that I've already been struggling for 8 years and on the way has always been a threat to my mind?

I'm just wondering...
Original post by Cupitor
By the way, recently I've been surfing through the Oxford web-site and glanced the page about disabilities, then followed the links, read some information... and came up with the question - should I have informed or inform the university about my Chronic Hypothyroidism that I've already been struggling for 8 years and on the way has always been a threat to my mind?

I'm just wondering...

I'm not familiar with that, is it going to have any impact on you during your interview stay (if you're invited)? If so, then I would definitely get in contact with them. Otherwise, there's probably no urgent need to tell them now but if you do get an offer and it's a condition that has a significant effect on your day-to-day life or you could benefit in any way from support from the university then do declare it. There's definitely no harm in declaring it!
Original post by Cupitor

I'm just wondering...

I think you should. I also mentioned in my UCAS application (section for disabilities) a disability, I didn't want to lie or hide it. :biggrin:
Original post by not you
Do you send out an email, written letter, or both?

Candidates are notified of the decision via e-mail. Those invited for interview are then asked to complete an online form confirming arrival times and (mobile) contact details.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nancy97
I think you should. I also mentioned in my UCAS application (section for disabilities) a disability, I didn't want to lie or hide it. :biggrin:

We would strongly endorse this advice.

For example, any candidate declaring a special access or learning need will be contacted to ensure that adjustments required at interview are put in place.

http://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brasenose/news/1374-dreaming-spires-and-mobility-scooters
http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/welfare/disability
http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/welfare/disability/staff#
(edited 8 years ago)
I know this is a bit of a sad question but it's for my own peace of mind- in the past have the emails with either an interview offer or a rejection revealed which decision it is in the subject of the email or is it ambiguous?

For example does the subject say something vague like "Your application to X College" or does it say something explicit like "Invitation to interview"

Thanks
Original post by oliverdobbs
I know this is a bit of a sad question but it's for my own peace of mind- in the past have the emails with either an interview offer or a rejection revealed which decision it is in the subject of the email or is it ambiguous?

For example does the subject say something vague like "Your application to X College" or does it say something explicit like "Invitation to interview"

Thanks

Mine said "St Hugh's College, Oxford - Invitaton to Interview" in the subject line. Don't know if this varies by college or anything though.
Original post by Pcabezas
I have also applied for Biochemistry (St Hilda's). You are right! It's such a relief not having to take an admissions test or sending any written work. Where else have you applied to?

Good luck!

That's awesome, I have also applied to Birmingham, Bath, Manchester and Warwick for biochemistry with a year in industry!
Original post by eprideaux
mate you need a A*AA, and you're only predicted AAA. Are you confident that you'll get an offer

I'm aware of the grades I need and what I have been predicted, and if Oxford do not believe I can exceed these predictions, that's their decision.
Reply 4256
Does anyone know what the BMAT cutoffs are for international students? I'm soooooo scared hahaha #interviewmepls
Original post by claudiar99
Hi guys,
I have to send a (maximum) 2000 word essay to Somerville (I'm applying to do English). The essay I want to send is 2050 words, do you think it matters if I'm 50 words over? The essay I've chosen is my English coursework from last year and it has the word count at the bottom (as well as my teacher's markings all over it) so I can't retype it or cut some out.

Please help!! Thanks so much x

Oh my word I have the exact same problem! Can anyone help us out? (I'm applying to Somerville too— for English and French though. I haven't seen a lot of other Somerville applicants so it's nice to meet you!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aquaxo
I've applied for Law at Brasenose too! :-)

Nice, where else have you applied?
Original post by chloetraynor
Hi! Good luck!
Do you mind me asking what you got at GCSE and AS, as a point of comparison?

Yeah sure I got 11 A*'s at GCSE and 5 A's at A level (1 of these was in general studies so basically 4 haha) and I'm predicted A* A* A

How about you?

Latest

Trending

Trending