The Student Room Group

maths help

i have the equation y= -3 + 4 how do I plot that on a graph I dont understand how to , what coordinates are there
Reply 1
Original post by Sunset12
i have the equation y= -3 + 4 how do I plot that on a graph I dont understand how to , what coordinates are there

Do you mean y=3x+4y=-3x+4 or y=3+4xy= -3+4x?

Assuming you don't mean y=3+4y=-3+4

Are you missing an x? If you are not then it is y = 1 which is a horizontal line through the coordinate (0,1).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Ben4
Are you missing an x? If you are not then it is y = 1 which is a horizontal line through the coordinate (0,1).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446750386.568359.jpg
If that's the equation then the graph should look like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Andy98
Do you mean y=3x+4y=-3x+4 or y=3+4xy= -3+4x?

Assuming you don't mean y=3+4y=-3+4

Hey i mean Y = -3X + 4
Reply 5
Original post by Waliid
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446750386.568359.jpg
If that's the equation then the graph should look like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean Y = -3X + 4
Reply 6
I mean Y = -3X + 4

Plug in values of x at x=1,2
e.g at x=1 Y = -3(1)+4 = 1 : plot point (1,1)
at x=2 Y=-3(2)+4 =-2 : (2,-2)
now just connect your two points and keep going, since it's a straight line you don't need any more points :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Hey i mean Y = -3X + 4

There's a very simple trick to this. Have you ever seen y=mx+cy=mx+c before?
Reply 8
Original post by Andy98
There's a very simple trick to this. Have you ever seen y=mx+cy=mx+c before?

Yes I have heard of it I know that M is the gradient and C is the Y intercept but I don't know where to go from there:frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Ben4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi I just had to say I am loving the mclovin pic, that is such as great movie :biggrin:
Reply 10
Yes I have heard of it I know that M is the gradient and C is the Y intercept but I don't know where to go from there:frown:

Yeah, so 4 is the y-intercept. Do you know how to work out the x-intercept? Think about what you have to substitute into y to find it.
Reply 11

In this case m=3]m=-3] and c=4c=4

Meaning the graph goes through the point (0,4)(0,4) and goes 3 points down for every point to the right.

Quick Reply

Latest