The Student Room Group

Past papers for revision?

Hey! Over the past month I've discovered that the best revision technique for me is making revision cards to each point on the syllabus/specification and then testing my knowledge using past papers.

But the thing is I can;t really do flashcards for Maths, because it's not so factual. I have November mocks from 31st of November and my Maths tutor told me to do as many past paper questions as possible.

The thing is, I don't want to do so many past paper questions, that I literally memorize the answers, so when it comes to the REAL GCSE, I have nothing to really test me for revision because I already know all the answers! Is this a problem or should I just go ahead with the book full of questions I have?

Also, for November mocks, do most schools use June 2015 papers as we can't access them from home or do they make their own up?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by romansholiday
Hey! Over the past month I've discovered that the best revision technique for me is making revision cards to each point on the syllabus/specification and then testing my knowledge using past papers.

But the thing is I can;t really do flashcards for Maths, because it's not so factual. I have November mocks from 31st of November and my Maths tutor told me to do as many past paper questions as possible.

The thing is, I don't want to do so many past paper questions, that I literally memorize the answers, so when it comes to the REAL GCSE, I have nothing to really test me for revision because I already know all the answers! Is this a problem or should I just go ahead with the book full of questions I have?

Also, for November mocks, do most schools use June 2015 papers as we can't access them from home or do they make their own up?

Thanks in advance!

You can still make revision cards for maths! :yep:
I did for GCSE & A-Level.

Past papers are the way to go - don't worry about getting bored of knowing the answers. If you've remembered them that well, what's the worst that could happen - you'd know exactly how to answer the questions in the exam and get a great grade! :h:
Besides, you'll never run out of maths questions - you can just make them up by changing all the numbers! :giggle:

Some do (mine did, and so does my college), but some make up their own papers, too :yep:
Original post by Neuth
You can still make revision cards for maths! :yep:
I did for GCSE & A-Level.

Past papers are the way to go - don't worry about getting bored of knowing the answers. If you've remembered them that well, what's the worst that could happen - you'd know exactly how to answer the questions in the exam and get a great grade! :h:
Besides, you'll never run out of maths questions - you can just make them up by changing all the numbers! :giggle:

Some do (mine did, and so does my college), but some make up their own papers, too :yep:

Thanks for replying! What did you make the flash cards on? Methods and stuff like that?:smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for replying! What did you make the flash cards on? Methods and stuff like that?:smile:

I made flashcards with summaries of methods (often with a little acronym thing to help me remember them), formulae, techniques, diagrams, explanations, etc. :h:
I also put things like *Don't do this: *, and then a note about something I trip up on a lot.
You can never do enough past papers so do as many as you can and maximize your chances of getting a good grade :biggrin: I seriously doubt you will come to the stage that you will have done every single past paper, after all you can do all the past papers on all the different exam boards as all are pretty similar and have significant specification overlap.

And of course you can make cue cards! They are great for factual topics such as circle theorems, formulas, index notation laws and other pieces of information you simply need to learn :smile:
Original post by Neuth
I made flashcards with summaries of methods (often with a little acronym thing to help me remember them), formulae, techniques, diagrams, explanations, etc. :h:
I also put things like *Don't do this: *, and then a note about something I trip up on a lot.

Ok! I'm gonna try to make some before the exam and see how it goes. Thanks:h:
Reply 6
Ok! I'm gonna try to make some before the exam and see how it goes. Thanks:h:

You're welcome :hugs:
Original post by _ariane29
You can never do enough past papers so do as many as you can and maximize your chances of getting a good grade :biggrin: I seriously doubt you will come to the stage that you will have done every single past paper, after all you can do all the past papers on all the different exam boards as all are pretty similar and have significant specification overlap.

And of course you can make cue cards! They are great for factual topics such as circle theorems, formulas, index notation laws and other pieces of information you simply need to learn :smile:

I'm gonna trry and make some flash cards then, and also I agree with you now about the past papers! There are loads of them:smile:
I'm gonna trry and make some flash cards then, and also I agree with you now about the past papers! There are loads of them:smile:

Have fun :biggrin:
Reply 9
theres PLENTY of maths questions out there - impossible to test yourself too much

do the international papers, other examboard papers, textbook questions, online questions

and leave your examboard papers for the real thing

Quick Reply

Latest