The Student Room Group

UKMT Maths Senior Challenge 2015

Did anyone do the challenge today? How did you find it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jack.123765

I failed it badly, it was impossible. Last year I got 17 right 2 wrong, this year I got something like 13 right and 7 wrong. Like wtf.
Only answered 5 questions XD
I thought it was okay. Didn't do five questions.
Found last years easier, only answered 10 qs
Just letting you guys know not to discuss actual answers until tomorrow or this thread will probably get locked.
Reply 6
Answered 17 and fairly certain I got at least 16 right. We'll see when solutions go up tomorrow...

Edit: Solutions are up. Got 17/17
(edited 8 years ago)
I only answered 8 questions, hoping that I can get a Bronze :smile:
did anyone else find Q9 incredibly strange, the one about intersecting lines on a piece of paper.
Reply 9
Original post by Christoph987
did anyone else find Q9 incredibly strange, the one about intersecting lines on a piece of paper.

Yup, I kinda had an idea but it ended up failing :biggrin:

Yeah I could do all of them! 😢
Can we discuss answers yet?
Answered 19 but didn't do a couple of really easy ones which is a bit annoying. Fairly confident about all of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if I got 2 or 3 wrong.

Possibly got
25 + 4*17 -2 = 91
Hopefully that's kangaroo but I've got no chance of qualifying for BMO :frown:
Original post by thebearissquare
Can we discuss answers yet?

Not yet
Original post by Akashi
Yup, I kinda had an idea but it ended up failing :biggrin:

i proved every option was possible, unless you applied 2 sets of rules they didn't state which were that the paper was infinitely large and the lines could not be parallel.
Reply 15
i proved every option was possible, unless you applied 2 sets of rules they didn't state which were that the paper was infinitely large and the lines could not be parallel.

I just assumed that parallel lines were inherently reduced as they did say four different straight lines.
I really enjoyed that question about the lies, it was fun and pretty straightforward. :smile:
I answered about 15, and I'm certain I got one wrong, (though there's definitely more I've probably got wrong).
Original post by Akashi
I just assumed that parallel lines were inherently reduced as they did say four different straight lines.

even without the use of identical lines, unless you assume each line continues infinitely then the question is impossible.
Original post by jack.123765

It was so hard and this was my first time doing it and I would never do it again :P although I got forced to do it but it was horrible :smile:
It was a bit easier than last year I only answered about 14 questions, because I ran out of time. I think that I got 12 right and 2 wrong; this should mean I would get 71, which would have got me a silver last year, but I'm pretty sure that it would get me a bronze this year.

Also, I tend to find the questions from 20-25 much easier than the questions 10-19, anyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest