The Student Room Group

How old were you when you got your first job?

Basically, I'm 17 and my parents won't allow me to get a job.
So out of interest I have three questions :smile:
1. Do you think at 17, a person should be able to choose whether to persue a part time job as well as college?
2. What age were you at when you got your first job?
3. What was your first job?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
1. Do you think at 17, a person should be able to choose whether to persue a part time job as well as college?

My first job was a temporary one working in enrolment at a college when I was 17 during the summer. I do think you should have a choice in whether you have a job, but maybe your parents don't want you to have too much going on? Like for me, I didn't feel like having a job whilst studying Biology, Chemistry & Psychology was going to be too great when I wanted to focus on getting good grades.
Depends what type of job giggidy :colone:
I was 17, worked at festivals and did some babysitting.

Original post by Betelgeuse-

there hasn't been one time I've seen you on a thread where you're not emitting dodgy vibes :innocent:
Original post by Anonymous

16, working as a sales assisstant on a 6 hour contract
19 - bang on my birthday i got told lol
When I was 16
In my School Cafe fun times we had :moon:
Reply 9
Original post by prophetkid
My first job was a temporary one working in enrolment at a college when I was 17 during the summer. I do think you should have a choice in whether you have a job, but maybe your parents don't want you to have too much going on? Like for me, I didn't feel like having a job whilst studying Biology, Chemistry & Psychology was going to be too great when I wanted to focus on getting good grades.

I guess that is the reason as I actually play rugby as well. Maybe they think that if I get a job as well (even if it's only on a Saturday), I won't have enough time to do these activities as well as relax and socialize with friends.
Original post by Betelgeuse-

:biggrin:
17, as an Office Assistant at a law firm after doing a couple weeks of work experience.
Reply 12
Paper round at 13.
Lifeguard at 16
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I was 17, worked at festivals and did some babysitting.

there hasn't been one time I've seen you on a thread where you're not emitting dodgy vibes :innocent:

Dodgy vibes is my middle name

How exactly are they stopping you?
yes, I think you should work and you should certainly have the choice, I find it hard to see how they are stopping you? if you worked you wouldn't have to rely on them for money etc

I had my first job at 16, sales assistant
I was 15 when I got my first summer job in the supermarket, just because I decided to earn some money and buy a new bicycle. I'd say that it was a nice time and place to start my career and get first working experience.
I think it's absolutely normal to work at 17 if you realize your goals and know how to manage your time to persue your job with college.
17 years old at a bank, luckily my mum worked in HR at the time
Got a retail job at 16, used to work weekends and go to college during the week.
13 - newspaper rounds, babysitting, and dog walking.

If you don't count that, then 15 - carer for a lady with severe cerebral palsy (Friday nights and Saturday nights). Duties involved bathing her, feeding her, taking her to the toilet, getting her ready for bed, playing with her etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending