Original post by donutaud15
By lower rated unis, what do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

less prestigious unis in general
Original post by CosmicAero
Most likely Unis that are not red brick or Oxbridge

Original post by Incongruous
less prestigious unis in general

Then in that case I absolutely disagree with your comments about employment and lower ranked unis.

My husband graduated from less than prestigious uni and with bad a levels. He got hired ahead of people with Oxbridge degrees in one of the biggest engineer companies in the UK (and the world). Reason why was experience (working throughout his final year) and good grade. His classmates were pretty much the same. End of the day if you can't programme well then even if you have an Oxbridge degrees then you won't pass the rigorous assessments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then in that case I absolutely disagree with your comments about employment and lower ranked unis.

My husband graduated from less than prestigious uni and with bad a levels. He got hired ahead of people with Oxbridge degrees in one of the biggest engineer companies in the UK (and the world). Reason why was experience (working throughout his final year) and good grade. His classmates were pretty much the same. End of the day if you can't programme well then even if you have an Oxbridge degrees then you won't pass the rigorous assessments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh come on. Learn to read. I didnt say that if you go to a lower ranked university you won't get employed. I didn't say that your uni vourse will dictate exactly your success. Stop assuming things I didn't say.
Oh come on. Learn to read. I didnt say that if you go to a lower ranked university you won't get employed. I didn't say that your uni vourse will dictate exactly your success. Stop assuming things I didn't say.

No you just phrased it different. Low employment rate and less good course? What exactly are you trying to say then?

'Also the employment rate for lower rated unis is much lower because the courses are less good.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
No you just phrased it different. Low employment rate and less good course? What exactly are you trying to say then?

'Also the employment rate for lower rated unis is much lower because the courses are less good.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lower employment rate for lower rated unis often mean the courses aren't as good yes. I said that.

I never said: Having a course from a lower ranked uni means you will never get employed or succeed in life which you automatically assumed with your post about your husband.
Lower employment rate for lower rated unis often mean the courses aren't as good yes. I said that.

I never said: Having a course from a lower ranked uni means you will never get employed or succeed in life which you automatically assumed with your post about your husband.

I agree they did not say that. He's basically saying just based on Unis (experience not included) you're more likely to get employed if you've got a degree from a higher ranked Uni. Obviously experience plays a big part in it but he's just taking about just Uni degrees

Some of his colleagues went to higher ranking unis and they didn't know stuff he was taught so the courses aren't as good is complete b.s

That goes for his batch mates

You are implying in your post that lower ranked uni is a hindrance instead of a tool to succeed. That's what I think is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some of his colleagues went to higher ranking unis and they didn't know stuff he was taught so the courses aren't as good is complete b.s

You are implying in your post that lower ranked uni is a hindrance instead of a tool to succeed. That's what I think is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing better than brostatistics to prove someone wrong.
I agree they did not say that. He's basically saying just based on Unis (experience not included) you're more likely to get employed if you've got a degree from a higher ranked Uni. Obviously experience plays a big part in it but he's just taking about just Uni degrees

At least you got it.

Read below. What I dislike is implying that lower ranked unis are a hindrance rather than a tool for success.

What you gonna do if someone from a lower ranked uni knows more about programming and the job specification than a person from a high ranking uni? I'm not saying high ranking unis are crap but I don't think it's fair to say that lower ranking unis are not very good with their teaching. I've seen enough proof to know that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing better than brostatistics to prove someone wrong.

I can't really respect anyone who uses the word 'brostatistics'

By all means go ahead with your uni bashing. I've seen enough of real world to know you're talking crap and ever so slightly naive. Carry on with your snob attitude regarding unis and see where it gets you later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Read below. What I dislike is implying that lower ranked unis are a hindrance rather than a tool for success.

What you gonna do if someone from a lower ranked uni knows more about programming and the job specification than a person from a high ranking uni? I'm not saying high ranking unis are crap but I don't think it's fair to say that lower ranking unis are not very good with their teaching. I've seen enough proof to know that.

I can't really respect anyone who uses the word 'brostatistics'

By all means go ahead with your uni bashing. I've seen enough of real world to know you're talking crap and ever so slightly naive. Carry on with your snob attitude regarding unis and see where it gets you later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As someone who has worked in the field for over half a decade and is now in a senior position at a pretty big company. I've hired a decent handful of grads and you are 100% right, most managers don't give a toss where your degree came from. First of all if you have a 2:1 Comp Science degree most graduate recruiters (GRB for instance) will include your CV in the initial process. Forwarding your CV to HR, then on to the developers/managers to review.

We decide who to interview based on the CV, we will never use the university to decide who to interview unless everything else was equal between two candidates (never seen it happen). I've had many bad interviews from people from top universities and vice versa. Later on your degree is entirely worthless because I would rather hire a BA who is damn good as his job (I've worked with THREE), than a MSc who is really terrible (there are plenty).

Also we've purposely not hired very good candidates because during the interview they've highlighted the fact pretty clearly that they'd be dysfunctional in a team. Can't say for certain but this dude seems like one of these people.
Reply 772
Original post by Silly_Monkey
Wow. I was thinking of joining the army or something as I loathe law. I will look into supply chain, procurement etc... But some of them ask for engineering or maths experience.

Really, within reason you are only limited by your personal drive. I'm not saying you could be a brain surgeon or a cosmonaut or a striker for Man U but within reason you can do just about anything. You just have to want to try new stuff out and keep evolving as a person.

I'm not done yet myself. I'm knocking out a MSc dissertation (my 4th degree) and looking into partnering with a colleague to start an occupational suicide training and awareness program for the Canadian construction industy. See what I mean? Keep dabbling. Stay interested in life and in learning new things - you may never be rewarded with much wealth but you'll lead a full life if nothing else. You only have one shot - this is not a rehearsal!
Reply 773
Original post by ron_trns
As someone who has worked in the field for over half a decade and is now in a senior position at a pretty big company. I've hired a decent handful of grads and you are 100% right, most managers don't give a toss where your degree came from. First of all if you have a 2:1 Comp Science degree most graduate recruiters (GRB for instance) will include your CV in the initial process. Forwarding your CV to HR, then on to the developers/managers to review.

We decide who to interview based on the CV, we will never use the university to decide who to interview unless everything else was equal between two candidates (never seen it happen). I've had many bad interviews from people from top universities and vice versa. Later on your degree is entirely worthless because I would rather hire a BA who is damn good as his job (I've worked with THREE), than a MSc who is really terrible (there are plenty).

Also we've purposely not hired very good candidates because during the interview they've highlighted the fact pretty clearly that they'd be dysfunctional in a team. Can't say for certain but this dude seems like one of these people.

I don't work in your particular industry but what you say is true. I hire and fire myself. I couldn't care less what university an applicant went to (or in some cases even if he/she went to one at all) I look for "low maintenance" individuals that can do the job and who I personally like. (If I don't like an applicant when I meet them no amount of qualification or ability is likely to sway me)

I don't need a pain in the arse with a 1:1 who rowed for Oxford. I'll pass them over for the right candidate with a 2:1 from Bolton every day.
and there we go from the horses mouth these uni ranking snobs probably wont shut up though
Original post by chosenone93
and there we go from the horses mouth these uni ranking snobs probably wont shut up though

I highly despise these types of people...

Ooh yeah I'm better than you because I went to an RG university!
Yeah I bet you got a supermarket job stacking shelves on minimum wage or still haven't got a job...

But then again I'm not a perfect person myself but I don't always brag about my accomplishments to the world.
(edited 8 years ago)
I graduated this year with a 2:2 and I still pretty much ended up with my dream job. I did unpaid work in my chosen field and the guy I worked for put in a good word for me when one of his clients were looking for someone. Don't ever think you're above unpaid work - it gives you experience & contacts in your field, shows potential employers that you have a great work ethic and could even put you at an advantage over those who have higher grades than you...because as the saying goes, it's not what you know but who you know.
Original post by Annaaaa
I graduated this year with a 2:2 and I still pretty much ended up with my dream job. I did unpaid work in my chosen field and the guy I worked for put in a good word for me when one of his clients were looking for someone. Don't ever think you're above unpaid work - it gives you experience & contacts in your field, shows potential employers that you have a great work ethic and could even put you at an advantage over those who have higher grades than you...because as the saying goes, it's not what you know but who you know.

Unpaid work is just really hard if you don't have savings or financial help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unpaid work is just really hard if you don't have savings or financial help

Posted from TSR Mobile

True....although I only worked for two weeks in that company and that was still enough for me to make a good impression. It doesn't even have to be a full-time or long-term thing, you can do it alongside your studies or during the holidays, there's no reason why people can't at least try. The point is that you need to put yourself out there, instead of resting on your laurels with your degree.
Reply 779
I feel like a great deal many people aren't being helpful. I don't think studentroom is a particularly helpful place for advice, reddit has a computer science careers forum which is full of advice, quora also has some incredibly good advice.

Either way, I'll give you my advice:
BE PROACTIVE
I cannot emphasise this enough.

IT is a huge industry, the only way you as a CS graduate can prove you have the skill is through projects and internships. Have you heard of 'cracking the coding interview'? Get it, it's a good investment, it covers running time, data structures, technical interviews.

- Github: This is invaluable, contribute to open source, write your own code no matter how small and make sure to document and add a read me to any projects so anyone can see what it's supposed to do. Github is invaluable, because it can act as a portfolio.

- LinkedIn: plenty of people get head hunted through linkedin, make connections, connect to people from your course, friends, your professors. Browse through companies and their employees, they can see who has looked at their page and they may then look at yours. There is plenty of advice out there about organising your linkedin page.

- Job fairs: Have you tried researching these? Go to any near you, talk to companies you're interested in, they may even take an interest in you and later call you for an interview.

- Jobsites: Indeed, Monster; uploading your CV and updating it every week is most likely more productive than going to a job centre. You could even try going and talking to agencies related to your industry.

- Meetups, hackathons, there are so many opportunities for you to go out and meet hobby or professional developers, just google for any near you.

- Keep your skills sharp, Codecademy has invaluable tutorials, CodingBat is useful if you need to go over the basics again, try CodeChef, SPOJ, TopCoder, they have brilliant problems that will stretch your mind, try to solve these with minimal help. You will get better the more you do them.

- Consult your university, ask them to review your CV and get them to help with interview practice, cover letters, applications for graduate internships or schemes, there are those out there that have a 2:2.

- I mentioned opensource before, but just start your own project, build a website, learn and build an android application, there are so many tutorials out there, if you run into problems consult the people of stackoverflow, they'll help you. Upload the app to the play store, put it up on github with a readme, add it to your CV as part of a small projects section under your education.

It's invaluable to show enthusiasm for development if you want to go into development and you can showcase that through your personal projects. Your degree should have given you the basics, so it isn't as if you're learning from scratch.

But you have to do all this yourself, like I said, be as proactive as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending