The Student Room Group

Can They Cancel My Insurance Policy?

Hey TSR,

I'll try and keep this short but I need some advice. Basically I'm one of those drivers who had to get the black box because insurance is just too high for drivers at my age. The black box has been working for the past 6-7 months, it was installed over the summer holidays, therefore I was able to have the time off work to be home for the installation.
They've just emailed me saying that they're not receiving any data so they're going to have to install another black-box into my car, and if I do not arrange a date between Monday to Friday, between the hours of either 9:00am-1:00pm or 1:00pm-5:00pm they will cancel my policy within the next 7 days.

Now the problem is, I work from 7:30am and don't get back till atleast 5:30-6:00. And I need my car to commute to work.
The question is can they really cancel mypolicy? I've already emailed them saying I cant take the time off work and if they could do a weekend day, but apparently they don't do weekends... urgh Help!:s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reety
Hey TSR,

I'll try and keep this short buy I need some advice. Basically I'm one of those drivers who had to get the black box because insurance is just too high for drivers at my age. The black box has been working for the past 6-7 months, it was installed over the summer holidays, therefore I was able to have the time off work to be home for the installation.
They've just emailed me saying that they're not receiving any data so they're going to have to install another black-box into my car, and if I do not arrange a date between Monday to Friday, between the hours of either 9:00am-1:00pm or 1:00pm-5:00pm they will cancel my policy within the next 7 days.

Now the problem is, I work from 7:30am and don't get back till atleast 5:30-6:00. And I need my car to commute to work.
The question is can they really cancel mypolicy? I've already emailed them saying I cant take the time off work and if they could do a weekend day, but apparently they don't do weekends... urgh Help!:s-smilie:

That is really unreasonable! Call up customer service and explain that you actually can't do any of those times because you have fairly common working hours, talking to a real human tends to get you further.
Reply 2
I would honestly not be surprised if those scumbags can actually cancel your policy after such a ridiculous demand.

They know those are most peoples working hours.
Reply 3
Original post by Star Light
That is really unreasonable! Call up customer service and explain that you actually can't do any of those times because you have fairly common working hours, talking to a real human tends to get you further.

Just been on the phone to my insurance now, and my insurance company is saying that I must get it installed because thats what is on my policy terms and conditions... Bloody ridiculous, not my fault that there ****ty black box doesn't work.. So I have to take time off work and lose money now...

Original post by JordE
I would honestly not be surprised if those scumbags can actually cancel your policy after such a ridiculous demand.

They know those are most peoples working hours.

I know... what kind of f***ing time slot is 9:00am-1:00pm.. or 1:00pm-5:00pm... thats a 4 hour interval.. could've flew to Scotland twice, there and back, in that time..
Take a sick day off work for the morning/afternoon
Reply 5
Original post by Zerforax
Take a sick day off work for the morning/afternoon

The problem is, I can't take the day off work. :frown:
I've already been ill and took a week off, another day and it's just going to look really bad.
Original post by Reety
I've already been ill and took a week off, another day and it's just going to look really bad.

How bad is it going to look when you can't get to work because your car is illegal to drive with no insurance? :awesome:
Reply 7
You know what, if it was me I'd be looking for another insurer that does the same or a very similar price. I'd ring them back and be like "You know what, just give me all my money back because your equipment is faulty and quite frankly I can't trust you because of it."

I'm sure that this constitutes some sort of breach of contract on their part, thus allowing you to get a full refund.
Original post by Reety

Speak to your boss and see if you can either take it as holiday or work additional hours to make up?

Since you need the car to get to work they're unlikely to be difficult imo.
Reply 9
Original post by JordE
You know what, if it was me I'd be looking for another insurer that does the same or a very similar price. I'd ring them back and be like "You know what, just give me all my money back because your equipment is faulty and quite frankly I can't trust you because of it."

I'm sure that this constitutes some sort of breach of contract on their part, thus allowing you to get a full refund.

I don't think I'll be able to get my money back... I'm going to ring up though and see what I can sought out.

How bad is it going to look when you can't get to work because your car is illegal to drive with no insurance? :awesome:

Ba Dum tss.

Original post by Joinedup
Speak to your boss and see if you can either take it as holiday or work additional hours to make up?

Since you need the car to get to work they're unlikely to be difficult imo.

Thing is, it's an internship, so if i keep missing days off work.. it's more likely that the other interns are going to secure a place. :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Can you not ask them to fit the black box at your work address or wherever you park?
You could book it for the time of your lunch break, or ask your boss if you can take your break at an alternative time? It depends what job you do, but it might be possible and a better solution to a day off/half day.
Can you not leave the car with parents/close friends for the fitting? Might be an alternate route or needing a lift into work obviously.
Reply 12
Original post by kisaki
Can you not ask them to fit the black box at your work address or wherever you park?
You could book it for the time of your lunch break, or ask your boss if you can take your break at an alternative time? It depends what job you do, but it might be possible and a better solution to a day off/half day.

They won't travel to canary wharf apparently.. already tried it. The thing is I don't know what specific time they're coming, they can be from any time between 9:00am-1:00pm... which is just ridiculous.
Original post by Reety
I don't think I'll be able to get my money back... I'm going to ring up though and see what I can sought out.

Ba Dum tss.

Thing is, it's an internship, so if i keep missing days off work.. it's more likely that the other interns are going to secure a place. :s-smilie:

needing to have a faulty insurance box replaced at short notice is a good reason and not something they can expect you to have forseen.
Reply 14
Can you not leave the car with parents/close friends for the fitting? Might be an alternate route or needing a lift into work obviously.

No one is able to stay home for that period of time, since they work between those times too :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Original post by Joinedup
needing to have a faulty insurance box replaced at short notice is a good reason and not something they can expect you to have forseen.

I know, I'm emailing them now to see if I can get a refund. Going to get insured with another company.. and definitely without a blackbox.
Original post by Reety
No one is able to stay home for that period of time, since they work between those times too :s-smilie:

Well considering you've called your insurer and they won't budge you have limited options:

1) Take half a day/sick day off work to be available

2) See if you can arrange the insurer to come to your work place to fix there

3) Find another person to be available for that period at home

4) Have the insurance cancelled and find new insurance

5) Start looking into public transport/other ways to regularly get into work

6) Moan about it on TSR
Reply 17
It's been done, the heated email has been sent and I have demanded that refund like a pro.

Spoiler

Original post by Reety
It's been done, the heated email has been sent and I have demanded that refund like a pro.

Good luck with that one. Be prepared to be hit up for a large cancellation fee and them wanting their black box back. Blah blah blah. I don't think what they have asked is particularly unreasonable. You could have rung them up and asked if there was any flexibility in the times / dates you could make. Or asked work if you could come in late / work late.

Good luck!
Original post by Reety

Arrange for them to come to your work place and install it. Its the best compromise. They can text you when they arrive or somethin.

Quick Reply

Latest