The Student Room Group

LPC + working P/T - which option should I choose?

This poll is closed

Which route should I take?

OPTION 1 0%
OPTION 2 0%
OPTION 30%
Total votes: 0
Hi everyone :smile:

I have been working at a high street firm where I know the firm is currently willing to give TC's to new paralegals such as myself. My only obstacle is not having done the LPC yet.

I have the following options but don't know route to take:

OPTION 1: In Jan 2016 I will leave work entirely to do a full time accelerated LPC, return after 6-7 months and resume working at firm. Start TC once I have finished the LPC.

Problem:
-If I leave work for 6 months, I am worried that the firm will forget about me and replace me with someone else who may take my place. There are other people at the firm chasing after a TC.

OPTION 2: In Jan 2016 I will commence a full time 9 month LPC and study 3 days a week, work the remaining 2 days a week. Start TC once I have finished the LPC.

Problem:
-When I spoke to the LPC admissions, they advised against this option as they said it'd be too difficult to do a full-time course alongside working. This really made me hesitant. I have no experience of the LPC - the only relatable thing I can compare it to is the LLB, and I know I would have never been able to study a full-time LLB course alongside part-time work (But is the LPC as intensive as the LLB? .... )

OPTION 3: Will continue working until Sep 2016 - at which point I will commence a part-time LPC and commence my TC at the firm at the same time.

Problem:
-Sep 2016 is a long way away. I don't like the idea of delaying qualification and who knows what will happen until then, the firm may change their mind entirely if someone new and more impressive comes along. It will mean having to sustain their interest in me for the next year.

I hope all of that made sense. I REALLY am in need of some advice :/ Which option would you choose?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Yazooo

I have been working at a high street firm where I know the firm is currently willing to give TC's to new paralegals such as myself. My only obstacle is not having done the LPC yet.

OPTION 1: In Jan 2016 I will leave work entirely to do a full time accelerated LPC, return after 6-7 months and resume working at firm. Start TC once I have finished the LPC.

Problem:
-If I leave work for 6 months, I am worried that the firm will forget about me and replace me with someone else who may take my place. There are other people at the firm chasing after a TC.

OPTION 2: In Jan 2016 I will commence a full time 9 month LPC and study 3 days a week, work the remaining 2 days a week. Start TC once I have finished the LPC.

Problem:
-When I spoke to the LPC admissions, they advised against this option as they said it'd be too difficult to do a full-time course alongside working. This really made me hesitant. I have no experience of the LPC - the only relatable thing I can compare it to is the LLB, and I know I would have never been able to study a full-time LLB course alongside part-time work (But is the LPC as intensive as the LLB? .... )

OPTION 3: Will continue working until Sep 2016 - at which point I will commence a part-time LPC and commence my TC at the firm at the same time.

Problem:
-Sep 2016 is a long way away. I don't like the idea of delaying qualification and who knows what will happen until then, the firm may change their mind entirely if someone new and more impressive comes along. It will mean having to sustain their interest in me for the next year.

I hope all of that made sense. I REALLY am in need of some advice :/ Which option would you choose?

Which LPC provider is this? BPP have a two day timetable for full time LPC which is specifically for people who work or have other commitments

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by pp93
Which LPC provider is this? BPP have a two day timetable for full time LPC which is specifically for people who work or have other commitments

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile:

It's BPP Law School. I spoke to someone from BPP and they said they don't offer the 2 day timetable to students who start in January, only those who begin their course in September.

I just don't know whether I should work for the firm that I'm currently with for another year and then do a part time LPC alongside a training contract OR do a full time LPC alongside part time work and then commence a training contract. Either way I qualify as a solicitor at the same age/time, but just wondering which option would be best.
Hi!

I do the part time TC and LPC option and it works well for me. There's no way I'd be able to keep up with the workload of the full time LPC and working, the LPC isn't particularly difficult but there's a lot to learn in a short time. This is coming from someone who worked 2 jobs in the final year of my full time LLB! Ha.

If I were you, personally I'd prioritise securing that TC and I wouldn't risk being pushed to the back of your employer's minds by leaving to study. Worry about how quick you'll qualify once that training contract is all signed and sent to the sra for registration, not now while it's not set in stone!

Best wishes.
Reply 4
Original post by alittleblonde
Hi!

I do the part time TC and LPC option and it works well for me. There's no way I'd be able to keep up with the workload of the full time LPC and working, the LPC isn't particularly difficult but there's a lot to learn in a short time. This is coming from someone who worked 2 jobs in the final year of my full time LLB! Ha.

If I were you, personally I'd prioritise securing that TC and I wouldn't risk being pushed to the back of your employer's minds by leaving to study. Worry about how quick you'll qualify once that training contract is all signed and sent to the sra for registration, not now while it's not set in stone!

Best wishes.

Hiya. I've just been offered a tc and they want me to work as a paralegal for abit and then start the tc but I have to do part time LPC.
I haven't decided yet but I am really leaning towards taking it.

Could you tell me how it was for you overall? Was in manageable and was your annual leave from work enough to revise for the exams?
Reply 5
Original post by Yazooo

Problem:

Problem:

Problem:

What did you end up choosing?
Congratulations on the offer :smile:

For me the part time LPC has been ideal. I get to work with real clients on real cases which makes learning stuff on the LPC much easier as you're already familiar with a lot of the practical things they teach you. Plus you have access to practising solicitors for advice when you get stuck!

I don't know which provider you'd go to but I go to Northumbria and only have to attend 1 day per week, so I can work the other 4 which is financially helpful for me. I do the prep work either on a weekend or an evening after work and I'd say in total I'd probably spend 2-3 hours a week prepping.

It's definitely manageable in terms of workload and exams, all of my marks have been in the 80s so far with 2 exams left to sit. I don't get study leave for revision but I tend to slowly build up revision for several weeks, doing bits here and there like listening to lectures while I have lunch at work, and then take a couple of days here and there off using my annual leave right before the exams. Terms at my uni are sept-December, exams in mid January and then straight into new subjects, break for easter and exams late April. So another bonus is that you can work full time over the summer in between because you get quite a long break.

Given the climate and competition for TCs at the moment I'd really recommend going down this route and I'm glad I've done mine this way. However, everyone is different of course and you should go with your gut!

Best of luck and let us all know what you ultimately decide :smile:
Reply 7
Congratulations on the offer :smile:

For me the part time LPC has been ideal. I get to work with real clients on real cases which makes learning stuff on the LPC much easier as you're already familiar with a lot of the practical things they teach you. Plus you have access to practising solicitors for advice when you get stuck!

I don't know which provider you'd go to but I go to Northumbria and only have to attend 1 day per week, so I can work the other 4 which is financially helpful for me. I do the prep work either on a weekend or an evening after work and I'd say in total I'd probably spend 2-3 hours a week prepping.

It's definitely manageable in terms of workload and exams, all of my marks have been in the 80s so far with 2 exams left to sit. I don't get study leave for revision but I tend to slowly build up revision for several weeks, doing bits here and there like listening to lectures while I have lunch at work, and then take a couple of days here and there off using my annual leave right before the exams. Terms at my uni are sept-December, exams in mid January and then straight into new subjects, break for easter and exams late April. So another bonus is that you can work full time over the summer in between because you get quite a long break.

Given the climate and competition for TCs at the moment I'd really recommend going down this route and I'm glad I've done mine this way. However, everyone is different of course and you should go with your gut!

Best of luck and let us all know what you ultimately decide :smile:

Hi. Thanks so much for a really good reply!

At first I was worried about not being able to get study leave but doing some research and asking people, it seems like the case with everyone and annual leave seems sufficient for revision.

How did you find LPC overall? Would you say it was more difficult than the degree? I've asked a few people and everyone seems to have different opinions.

I'm thinking of doing the 2 evenings a week at BPP or UOL in London and I guess it will be abit tiring to go to uni straight from work, but I really want to keep my weekends free.
Original post by a.ch
Hi. Thanks so much for a really good reply!

At first I was worried about not being able to get study leave but doing some research and asking people, it seems like the case with everyone and annual leave seems sufficient for revision.

How did you find LPC overall? Would you say it was more difficult than the degree? I've asked a few people and everyone seems to have different opinions.

I'm thinking of doing the 2 evenings a week at BPP or UOL in London and I guess it will be abit tiring to go to uni straight from work, but I really want to keep my weekends free.

I think the LPC is definitely easier than the LLB. I found the first term of my first year quite full on because we had a mixture of quite a few different subjects all at once but the content isn't difficult to learn.

I think some people with no work experience find it hard to put their practical heads on and apply their knowledge to a scenario as if it were a real client rather than just explaining processes and the law, which might be why some people struggle.

The only thing I'd say about doing it on an evening and keeping weekends free is to make sure you give yourself enough time to do your reading and prep - its not difficult but it tends to make a big difference to understanding what you're being taught I find. Eg I forgot a piece of my reading last week which was a set of practice directions and it meant I had no idea what was going on for the full workshop! Ha.
Reply 9
I think the LPC is definitely easier than the LLB. I found the first term of my first year quite full on because we had a mixture of quite a few different subjects all at once but the content isn't difficult to learn.

I think some people with no work experience find it hard to put their practical heads on and apply their knowledge to a scenario as if it were a real client rather than just explaining processes and the law, which might be why some people struggle.

The only thing I'd say about doing it on an evening and keeping weekends free is to make sure you give yourself enough time to do your reading and prep - its not difficult but it tends to make a big difference to understanding what you're being taught I find. Eg I forgot a piece of my reading last week which was a set of practice directions and it meant I had no idea what was going on for the full workshop! Ha.

There's one difference between the two uni's I'm thinking doing it at.
UOL is open-book and BPP isn't. Do you reckon it'll be easier for a working person to manage doing it open-book or would it make no difference?

Thanks again!
Reply 10
I only skim read your original post so I may have missed something, however as far as I'm aware you haven't been offered a TC as of yet? What makes you so confident that you'll be offered one in the near future?

If you haven't been offered a TC as of yet, then I would definitely not leave the firm to pursue the LPC full time. The staffing in high street firms is much more personal than that at, for example, a large corporate firm and therefore you need to keep your face in the firm to prevent being forgotten about.

If you have been offered a TC then have a word with HR/some of the partners. It may be more beneficial to them if you did the LPC full time in order that you finish it sooner, alternatively, and more likely, it may be more beneficial to them if you worked part time whilst also doing the LPC part time.

I'm a 2nd year trainee at a large high street/small regional firm, so if you've got any more questions then feel free to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending