The Student Room Group

A level Psychology or English Literature

Which is more harder?
Which is more interesting?
What is the workload?
I would say it depends on whether you are naturally good at English. I do both for a level, and for me, I probably find English more stressful purely becauseyou can't really prepare like you can for psychology. Psychology is a lot of info to learn but that's all it is, information, whereas English is a bit more unpredictable.

The interesting part obviously depends on your own interests.. There's boring sides to both.(aka Shakespeare and research methods) I would obviously advise only to take English if you enjoy reading, as you have to read the books in your free time.

For me at as level, it seems that the workload is more for psychology as there's a lot to learn, whereaswith English lit there is less to actually Memorise. It also depends on what you want to to aswell.like if you were looking at a humanities degree then English literature would be much more respected, but I would definatly advise not to take it if you don't actually like it that much.
Hope it helped
Reply 2
Original post by Picola123
I would say it depends on whether you are naturally good at English. I do both for a level, and for me, I probably find English more stressful purely becauseyou can't really prepare like you can for psychology. Psychology is a lot of info to learn but that's all it is, information, whereas English is a bit more unpredictable.

The interesting part obviously depends on your own interests.. There's boring sides to both.(aka Shakespeare and research methods) I would obviously advise only to take English if you enjoy reading, as you have to read the books in your free time.

For me at as level, it seems that the workload is more for psychology as there's a lot to learn, whereaswith English lit there is less to actually Memorise. It also depends on what you want to to aswell.like if you were looking at a humanities degree then English literature would be much more respected, but I would definatly advise not to take it if you don't actually like it that much.
Hope it helped

Thank you, and one more question is eng lit a big jump from gcse English?
Reply 3
I do both too and pretty much everything Picola said to be honest.

In terms of the jump from GCSE, yes to be honest it is pretty big, however isn't impossible to cope with still. There's obviously a lot more reading and essays are much more frequent and detailed but if you enjoy/do well in GCSE lit, A Level should be enjoyable
Original post by sabs_xx
Thank you, and one more question is eng lit a big jump from gcse English?

If it helps, my essays at GCSE were a/a*, and my first essay for a level got a high b.
Original post by sabs_xx
Which is more harder?
Which is more interesting?
What is the workload?

I would argue it depends on your strengths and your weaknesses. I would personally say English Literature, though, by far. Even if you're good at it, it's tough to get the marks in the exams.

Psychology I'd say.

Varies from board to board... they're a-levels, they're hard. It's heavy, whichever you do.

To compare to my other a levels, I'd say from hardest to easiest it would be 1)French 2)English literature 3)psychology 4) global perspectives ( compulsory pre u at my school, still don't really know what it is haha)

Quick Reply

Latest