The Student Room Group

US College Student Looking to Transfer to a UK University

Hello!

I am a current freshman at a US university and I am interested in transferring to a UK university. During my initial college application process, I applied, and got accepted, to a few UK schools. I have a few questions regarding the transfer process as a whole, as well as questions regarding my specific field of study/medical school.

-What is the general application timeline for an international transfer student?
-Are there programs at some universities that allow "guaranteed admissions" to medical school?
-If so, how difficult is it for an international student to get accepted?
-If I were to apply as a rising sophomore from an undergraduate university in the US, where would that place me in the UK education system?

Any questions, comments, and tips are welcome!
Original post by mxn276
Hello!

I am a current freshman at a US university and I am interested in transferring to a UK university. During my initial college application process, I applied, and got accepted, to a few UK schools. I have a few questions regarding the transfer process as a whole, as well as questions regarding my specific field of study/medical school.

-What is the general application timeline for an international transfer student?
-Are there programs at some universities that allow "guaranteed admissions" to medical school?
-If so, how difficult is it for an international student to get accepted?
-If I were to apply as a rising sophomore from an undergraduate university in the US, where would that place me in the UK education system?

Any questions, comments, and tips are welcome!

Hi,

Realistically a UK university is highly unlikely to take you as anything other than a first year. Transfers are not enormously common in the UK, and I've never heard of someone transferring from a foreign uni into second year. Don't forget that the course structure will have been enormously different - UK students will have spent the whole of first year concentrating on their subject whereas you've been faffing about with general ed requirements.

There are no programmes with guaranteed entry to graduate medicine in the UK. Medicine is normally taught as a 5 year undergrad degree in the UK, though some people study it for four years after their first degree. Both are incredibly competitive for UK students, but even more so for international students - the government limits the international intake for medicine to 8% of the total. The only exceptions to this are Buckingham and UCLan, which are private medical schools that only teach international students.

Do be aware that if you wanted to study for an undergrad degree in the UK and then go to US medical school, you'd need to check in advance if your UK degree would be deemed acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know people who've transferred from UK to US, but I've never heard of anyone doing the opposite I'm afraid. UK Unis generally don't do transfers I believe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending