The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, hope your all well.
I was just wondering what's "in the news" in terms of Geology/Earth Science at the moment or has been a hot topic recently?
I applied on the 23rd of October to;
- Royal Holloway, Geology with a Year in Industry. ABB offer on the 27th of October.
- Leeds, Geology with a Year in Industry. AAB offer (dependant on interview) on the 27th of October.
- Southhampton, Geology. Interview offer on the 28th of October.

Still waiting to hear back from Durham, which I'm not too worried about as they do much later offers anyway, and Exeter. No offers from Exeter i've heard of as of yet though?
:smile:
Original post by phoebe42
- Royal Holloway, Geology with a Year in Industry. ABB offer on the 27th of October.
- Leeds, Geology with a Year in Industry. AAB offer (dependant on interview) on the 27th of October.

Still waiting to hear back from Durham, which I'm not too worried about as they do much later offers anyway, and Exeter. No offers from Exeter i've heard of as of yet though?

I got an unconditional offer from exeter today at 16:47 lol :smile:
Original post by Mathematicus65
I got an unconditional offer from exeter today at 16:47 lol :smile:

Woo well done! :party2:

Original post by phoebe42

Good luck! I had an interview at Southampton too.
Original post by BigWillow
Hey guys, hope your all well.
I was just wondering what's "in the news" in terms of Geology/Earth Science at the moment or has been a hot topic recently?

Well there's evidence life on Earth started 300,000,000 - 600,000,000 years earlier than thought.
I just got an unconditional offer from UCL but it says I have to attend an open day as part of the offer (for Geology) does anyone know if this is essential? Ie. Will I loose my offer if I decide not to?
I just got an unconditional offer from UCL but it says I have to attend an open day as part of the offer (for Geology) does anyone know if this is essential? Ie. Will I loose my offer if I decide not to?

Come up with a bs excuse and youl be fine... though they may reschedule it.

If there's a reason why you can't go, do not just not turn up - email them. I personally thought the offer-holders day was worth attending, you've got a good chance to speak to some academics, but I don't think there's anything absolutely vitally important there so if there's a reason why you'd rather not go, let them know and I'd have thought they'd be fine - they're a very friendly department. Well done for the offer by the way :smile:
Anyone else who applied in geology and got an offer from UCL?
Original post by Plagioclase
If there's a reason why you can't go, do not just not turn up - email them. I personally thought the offer-holders day was worth attending, you've got a good chance to speak to some academics, but I don't think there's anything absolutely vitally important there so if there's a reason why you'd rather not go, let them know and I'd have thought they'd be fine - they're a very friendly department. Well done for the offer by the way :smile:

Thank you! :smile:Just Oxford to hear from now :biggrin:What did the day consist of when you went?
Thank you! :smile:Just Oxford to hear from now :biggrin:What did the day consist of when you went?

At UCL? There was a talk in the rock room, a brief talk in the lecture theatre, a tour around the facilities and "mini-talks" by various different academics in the department (in their work places) - a very good opportunity to ask them questions, one of them emailed me a whole list of really great resources when I asked him about something so that was good! Also, the best part of all... you get a UCL Earth Sciences memory stick (or at least they gave them out last year). So definitely worth going.

Good luck with Oxford, you'll probably hear at the end of this month I'd have thought :smile:
Original post by AlphaArgonian
Well there's evidence life on Earth started 300,000,000 - 600,000,000 years earlier than thought.

Where did you read that?
At UCL? There was a talk in the rock room, a brief talk in the lecture theatre, a tour around the facilities and "mini-talks" by various different academics in the department (in their work places) - a very good opportunity to ask them questions, one of them emailed me a whole list of really great resources when I asked him about something so that was good! Also, the best part of all... you get a UCL Earth Sciences memory stick (or at least they gave them out last year). So definitely worth going.

Good luck with Oxford, you'll probably hear at the end of this month I'd have thought :smile:

Thank you! When you went was it a formal day or informal ie Should I wear a suit or not? Everyone was at Imperial but im guessing it won't be the same since, there is no interview?
Thank you! When you went was it a formal day or informal ie Should I wear a suit or not? Everyone was at Imperial but im guessing it won't be the same since, there is no interview?

There's no need to dress up for the UCL day, I just went in my normal stuff and that was absolutely fine (can't remember anyone else dressing particularly smartly, it's a pretty casual and informal event).
Where did you read that?

From the Geology page on FB maybe two weeks ago.

When it comes to maths, naming big numbers isn't my forte, but the current accepted theory is that life on Earth started 3.5-3.8 bya if I'm not mistaken. Well there's evidence that life actually started 4.1 bya. So that's 300-600 my difference I think
Original post by AlphaArgonian
From the Geology page on FB maybe two weeks ago.

When it comes to maths, naming big numbers isn't my forte, but the current accepted theory is that life on Earth started 3.5-3.8 bya if I'm not mistaken. Well there's evidence that life actually started 4.1 bya. So that's 300-600 my difference I think

Hmm, is this the paper? That's very interesting but I'll ask my tutor about it because there have been quite a lot of similar claims in the past! In particular, the paper lists a number of abiotic processes that could have been responsible for that carbon isotope fractionation and they admit that since this data is all from a single zircon crystal, a lot more work would be needed to make a concrete theory from this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 136
I've edited the the OP. Hopefully, my application should be off next week or the following.
Original post by Semaphore
I've edited the the OP. Hopefully, my application should be off next week or the following.

Hope your personal statement has been going well! Where are you applying to, in the end?
Original post by Semaphore

Hope your personal statement has been going well! Where are you applying to, in the end?
Reply 139
Yeah it's going fine thanks well I'm applying to 2 different courses (Geology and Petroleum engineering) with AAA predictions. I don't want to jinks anything so I'll tell you when I receive offers. Hows Oxford going btw? What topic are you learning atm?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending