The Student Room Group

UKMT Maths Senior Challenge 2015

Scroll to see replies

I think a lot of people came in unprepared for this test. I only managed to answer 15 questions that was my goal anyway i just skimmed through a past paper last night to get the gist of it. My plan was to answer 15 confidently and avoid guessing but i had to guess on two and i got the first question wrong!. I think i would of got 70-75 just hope i get a silver.
I answered the first 20 questions, (the last 5 looked horrendous), i think i got 19 right and 1 wrong, hopefully 100 should be enough for BMO this year. in general I think it was slightly harder than 2014.
I breezed through the first 13 questions and question 20 but couldn't do the other ones. As usual, I suck at competitions.
Reply 43
I answered 23 questions. I didn't guess any of them but I imagine I made a mistake here or there. Hoping for BMO1 but expecting to just miss it.
Reply 44
Original post by DavidBick
BMO threshold predictions anyone?

Reply 45
I'm going to fail it
Does anyone know when we can discuss answers or when the answers go up?
Original post by Tau

Gulp...I am certain I got 98 marks - hoping for a surprise
Original post by Lucas_Wojtysiak
Only answered 5 questions XD

I only answered 8 and I thought I was literally the only one who answered less than 10!😂
Original post by Tau
I answered 23 questions. I didn't guess any of them but I imagine I made a mistake here or there. Hoping for BMO1 but expecting to just miss it.

Please teach me your ways, how do you do so well??
Reply 50
Gulp...I am certain I got 98 marks - hoping for a surprise

This is a complete guess so don't be downheartened :smile:. My only basis is that I found it easier than last year's and that was 101. It can't go up that much though.
BMO1 will be mid 90s

No, actually I have no idea, I'm just hoping I do manage to get into BMO1. Have been able to a few times so I'm feeling pretty confident.
Original post by SushiBunny

No, actually I have no idea, I'm just hoping I do manage to get into BMO1. Have been able to a few times so I'm feeling pretty confident.

A few times?! How are you still at school...or did you start SMC years ago
Lmao now I know how people get 125/125.... they do the maths challenge 1 day later, so they already know the answers haha.
A few times?! How are you still at school...or did you start SMC years ago

Yeah, my school let me do SMC before sixth form so that's why.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Lmao now I know how people get 125/125.... they do the maths challenge 1 day later, so they already know the answers haha.

They wouldn't let you, that's why there's a 24hr no discussion thing...
Reply 57
Original post by Dingooose
Please teach me your ways, how do you do so well??

I only got a bronze last year (year 11) so don't expect too much :wink:. The trick to the maths challenge is to understand how to approach the question. Prime factorisations are normally important and thinking about how to approach an equation algebraically. People say you can't revise for the SMC, and they're not really wrong, but the more maths you do the more likely you are to think mathematically, and the more challenges you do you pick up on some common types of questions. Geometry is the most important for the SMC (which is annoying, because I hate geometry and am normally terrible at it).
Original post by jack.123765
Does anyone know when we can discuss answers or when the answers go up?

Answers go up 9am tomorrow on the UKMT website - thresholds go up next Thursday. Its pretty much ok to discuss answers now
Original post by Pronged Lily
They wouldn't let you, that's why there's a 24hr no discussion thing...

Do you know this as a fact though? Surely if someone sat it before official solutions tomorrow UKMT would allow it?

Quick Reply

Latest