The Student Room Group

Is it time to ban private schools

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by enaayrah
Nah g we dont wanna mix with those toffees anyway ini lmaoo

(Private schools (and grammar for that matter) should have been abolished completely much longer ago)

Wait, you don't want private schools but you don't want to mix with us? What do you want dude?
Original post by intelligent con
I find it disgusting how these toff factories are still allowed to operate. Everyone who has come to my comprehensive from a private school has been posh and weird so this shows how people in these schools live in a bubble. Additionally it is scientifically proven that state schooled children are smarter than public school ones and do better at uni. Why do we honestly allow these elitist institutions to continue to operate? I wish blair had abolished them while labour was still in power and hope corbyn puts this in his manifesto. Why should money buy people good grades?

Source?
Nah g we dont wanna mix with those toffees anyway ini lmaoo

(Private schools (and grammar for that matter) should be abolished completely much longer ago)

I don't know if they're all toffees, but I'd prefer that to being surrounded by thugs. I'm no G, and because of that I couldn't mix it up with the thugs at my comprehensive school and had an absolutely horrible 5 years. I'd rather be in an environment where the other students care about their education and are civilised and respectful. I also spent an amazing couple of years at a top grammar school, in stark contrast to my previous school, it was the best 2 years of my life, it gave me a taste of just how perfect and wonderful school can be when you're surrounded by civilised people who come from middle/upper class backgrounds. No bullies, no thugs, no Gs, and it was 95% white. I feel extremely strongly about this matter because I've experienced the two opposing ends of the spectrum, I lived it, I survived it. Went to the roughest school in my county, then moved to the top grammar, so I got a taste of both ends of the spectrum, and my experience was incredibly eye opening and revealing. I was astounded by the environment in the grammar school, I experienced literally no bullying or disrespect whatsoever. Never been to a private school, I imagine it would be even better, but I don't know. Any parent who is serious about education and who cares about their child's experience at school will never send them to a comprehensive because they're full of low social classes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AmyS93
Wait, you don't want private schools but you don't want to mix with us? What do you want dude?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah private schooled and a medic and can't see a joke?
Ban it and bet you the rich will find another way to give their children better opportunities. Anyway, your argument is pretty dull. It's like asking why you'd pay more for better service/quality.
Reply 25
it is scientifically proven that state schooled children are smarter than public school ones and do better at uni. Why do we honestly allow these elitist institutions to continue to operate? Why should money buy people good grades?

Why should money buy people stupid children? These elitist public schools making their pupils dumber so they can do well in their exams and worse at university... it's truly outrageous...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cold 187um
I don't know if they're all toffees, but I'd prefer that to being surrounded by thugs. I'm no G, and because of that I couldn't mix it up with the thugs at my comprehensive school and had an absolutely horrible 5 years. I'd rather be in an environment where the other students care about their education and are civilised and respectful. I also spent an amazing couple of years at a top grammar school, in stark contrast to my previous school, it was the best 2 years of my life, it gave me a taste of just how perfect and wonderful school can be when you're surrounded by civilised people who come from middle/upper class backgrounds. No bullies, no thugs, no Gs, and it was 95% white. I feel extremely strongly about this matter because I've experienced the two opposing ends of the spectrum, I lived it, I survived it. Went to the roughest school in my county, then moved to the top grammar, so I got a taste of both ends of the spectrum, and my experience was incredibly eye opening and revealing. I was astounded by the environment in the grammar school, I experienced literally no bullying or disrespect whatsoever. Never been to a private school, I imagine it would be even better, but I don't know. Any parent who is serious about education and who cares about their child's experience at school will never send them to a comprehensive because they're full of low social classes.

Well I'm sorry about your experience, but I'll have you know that there are many, non- grammar, state schools out there that perform very well.

I personally went to probably the worst school in my area, with greater than 80% Asians (ethnicity seems to be something you care about) and yes it was full of 'thugs' and 'gs' but because I was actually able to be friendly with all kinds of people, I was never vilified for being studious and achieving high. I mean, I'm in no way a thug and while many of my peers did all kinds, I was able to maintain respect for myself and others.

But I guess that's just me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Private schools are of immense benefit to a certain type of child so should not be banned. While genuinely bright kids will excel at any crappy school and waltz into the university of their choice with minimal effort, those who are a little slow on the uptake and can't excel on merit alone will benefit from private education. Granted, despite having tens of thousands of pounds on them, the majority of privately educated kids will still fail to meet their parents expectations of getting into Oxbridge but, hey, you can only polish a turd so much.
Good I hate grammar schools. Comprehensives all the way

Why? I don't know how they select pupils for grammar schools in England but here in NI its very fair - based purely on academic ability. Believe me I realise that I am very privileged for my education. I come from a very low income family (currently on benefits, my mum is a single parent and works for minimum wage) and would not have been able to afford private schooling. For me personally, I couldn't care less about the race, gender or wealth of the people in my classes. All I care about is that they take their education seriously, which is something that a lot of people in comprehensive schools fail to do, resulting is classes which are extremely disruptive. I was mocked throughout primary school for my intelligence and attitude to school work and I'm so thankful it didn't continue on for the next 7 years.
Reply 29
Original post by DiddyDec
Why should people be able to buy nice houses when some people have to live in council houses?

Ban the sale of houses!

I know people love making analogies on social media, but education is very different from buying a house. Education shapes how your entire life pans out, whereas a house is just somewhere you live, not usually permanently. Private school pupils have life a lot easier than those who attend state schools, and living in a society where those who happen to be born into a wealthy family instantly have an easier to path to a good life than others, simply through education, doesn't seem to be a very fair one.
Reply 30
Original post by Imperion
Ban it and bet you the rich will find another way to give their children better opportunities. Anyway, your argument is pretty dull. It's like asking why you'd pay more for better service/quality.

That's exactly the point! My family paid for a better quality education. Who doesn't want better service if you can afford it?
So people pay taxes towards public schooling, save everyone money by not even using it, and then:

How dare you pay people to teach your children?!

Get a grip.
It is kind of unfair for the people who cannot afford it, students with so much potential have to work harder at a comprehensive than a private school. Quite often living in a place with no grammar schools is even worse, as there is no access for a better quality of education. Qualifications should reflect on the student's capability not the amount of money their parents have.
Original post by TreeTaps
It is kind of unfair for the people who cannot afford it, students with so much potential have to work harder at a comprehensive than a private school. Quite often living in a place with no grammar schools is even worse, as there is no access for a better quality of education. Qualifications should reflect on the student's capability not the amount of money their parents have.

You do know that most private schools have entry exams.
Well I'm sorry about your experience, but I'll have you know that there are many, non- grammar, state schools out there that perform very well.

I personally went to probably the worst school in my area, with greater than 80% Asians (ethnicity seems to be something you care about) and yes it was full of 'thugs' and 'gs' but because I was actually able to be friendly with all kinds of people, I was never vilified for being studious and achieving high. I mean, I'm in no way a thug and while many of my peers did all kinds, I was able to maintain respect for myself and others.

But I guess that's just me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, my school although not so ethnically diverse, was one of the very worst schools that it was close to being closed down a couple of years ago. Many did not go onto college or further education. However, I am very happy I went there as it has taught me to be in control of my education and many life skills for the future (it is not often when a chair whizzes past your head, but I can now dodge it).
If my parents did not pay to send me to private school for sixth form then they would simply have spent the money on a fat holiday or some other crap whilst the state could pay for my education instead.

Which they can further be prepped for with more money and expert tuition.

Life is unfair when you have very little money - believe me I know, not being able to afford things isn't nice. But thats the way the world works. The only thing you can do is work as hard as possible in your comprehensive, try to get into uni, try to get a well paying job, so that should you decide to have kids they go to private school and not have the same obstacles in regards to education.

You do know that all private schools want money.

Private school is not a ticket to university. At the one I went to people got grades ranging from U's (some of them were not stupid and got far better GCSE's than I did) to A*'s. The people who got the highest grades were all bright in the first place and worked very hard.

Quick Reply

Latest