The Student Room Group

How to stop procasinating?

I'm probably of the biggest procasinators ever and literally try to avoid revising and stuff. Any good advise to stop myself from being distracted to I can do better???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Leave TSR before you get a light green bar otherwise you'll never leave.
Original post by aamirac
Leave TSR before you get a light green bar otherwise you'll never leave.

it's too late now
Original post by booksandcats
it's too late now

****ed it. May as well leave school now.
Reply 4
it's too late now

I know, I know. :sad:
Original post by Use Err Name
****ed it. May as well leave school now.

yh ikr:frown:
Reply 6
I'm probably of the biggest procasinators ever and literally try to avoid revising and stuff. Any good advise to stop myself from being distracted to I can do better???

Change your mindset.

People like us who procrastinate are doomed to compromise on our dreams.

Value every moment and give your best.

That is all you can do and ignore every thought and action that averts you from your target.

run toward your goal with single minded devotion.
Original post by M&F
Change your mindset.

People like us who procrastinate are doomed to compromise on our dreams.

Value every moment and give your best.

That is all you can do and ignore every thought and action that averts you from your target.

run toward your goal with single minded devotion.

that's probably the best advice i got from this thread, thank you:smile:
Reply 8

rep because u like cats
Original post by rhiifuu
rep because u like cats

thanks they're awesome right:smile:
thanks they're awesome right:smile:

I agree.

I'd recommend going to the library and only bring your revision stuff. You'll probably feel too paranoid about disturbing others so you'll sort of force yourself to revise.
Original post by rhiifuu
I agree.

I'd recommend going to the library and only bring your revision stuff. You'll probably feel too paranoid about disturbing others so you'll sort of force yourself to revise.

i'll probably start to do that since i have my mocks coming up soon.:smile:
i'll probably start to do that since i have my mocks coming up soon.:smile:

Good luck! My friend also has the same problem, even at the library. But, she usually goes with friends. So, I'd advise going alone :biggrin:
Original post by rhiifuu
Good luck! My friend also has the same problem, even at the library. But, she usually goes with friends. So, I'd advise going alone :biggrin:

I think I'm a bit like ur friend bc i usually want to study in a group with my friends but we usually end up doing no work which isn't ideal.:frown:
I think I'm a bit like ur friend bc i usually want to study in a group with my friends but we usually end up doing no work which isn't ideal.:frown:

If you're like my friend, you're pretty awesome then! Which I'm not going to deny because you like cats :P

Sometimes, you just have to separate from the group to study. Its totally worth it though at the end of the day when you have awesome grades!
Reply 15
that's probably the best advice i got from this thread, thank you:smile:

welcome. I hope I helped.

watch this. it might motivate you. there is no excuse for us if this young boy can pass IIT jee exams despite so much social and economical difficulty.

"The Indian Institutes of Technology Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE) was an annual engineering college entrance examination in India. It was used as the sole admission test by the 16 Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and Indian School of Mines Dhanbad (to be converted into IIT).[1] The examination was organised each year by one of the various IITs, using a round robin rotation pattern. It had a very low admission rate (about 10,000 in 500,000 in 2011)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBZgrXRad6s
Original post by rhiifuu
If you're like my friend, you're pretty awesome then! Which I'm not going to deny because you like cats :P

Sometimes, you just have to separate from the group to study. Its totally worth it though at the end of the day when you have awesome grades!

thank you for ur advice, i just need to pull myself together to do better.:smile:
Original post by M&F
welcome. I hope I helped.

watch this. it might motivate you. there is no excuse for us if this young boy can pass IIT jee exams despite so much social and economical difficulty.

"The Indian Institutes of Technology Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE) was an annual engineering college entrance examination in India. It was used as the sole admission test by the 16 Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and Indian School of Mines Dhanbad (to be converted into IIT).[1] The examination was organised each year by one of the various IITs, using a round robin rotation pattern. It had a very low admission rate (about 10,000 in 500,000 in 2011)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBZgrXRad6s

woah, that's just amazing tbh and it has made me realise that there are other people out there with almost nothing and they end up doing amazingly well.
:smile:
Reply 18
Libraries are great for revision, music will help you focus but not if it has singing in it, so try instrumental-only music.

Put your phone on flight mode. hearing notifications is one of the biggest distractions for me.

Google the Pomodoro technique- this is really helpful if you have a short attention span.

Don't push yourself- setting yourself goals that you won't achieve will cause you to give up on the work.

Split your work time into small chunks separated by breaks to lower the load (Again, see Pomodoro technique)

Try to find a revision technique that works for you- for me it's mind maps, as i can clearly distinguish and track individual concepts and ideas. A good revision technique will help you enjoy revising more and so you won't be as distractible.

Doing practice papers for exams can be helpful as well as there's a set time to complete them, and there's more of a sense of satisfaction when you complete them. A major part of procrastination is wanting quick satisfaction.

If you find yourself becoming restless, take a 5 minute break, no longer, and have a drink and a snack.

Any questions or anything PM me or post here, I have ADHD so I've developed a few coping mechanisms that i find useful, and I'm happy to answer any queries :smile:
Original post by splog23
Libraries are great for revision, music will help you focus but not if it has singing in it, so try instrumental-only music.

Put your phone on flight mode. hearing notifications is one of the biggest distractions for me.

Google the Pomodoro technique- this is really helpful if you have a short attention span.

Don't push yourself- setting yourself goals that you won't achieve will cause you to give up on the work.

Split your work time into small chunks separated by breaks to lower the load (Again, see Pomodoro technique)

Try to find a revision technique that works for you- for me it's mind maps, as i can clearly distinguish and track individual concepts and ideas. A good revision technique will help you enjoy revising more and so you won't be as distractible.

Doing practice papers for exams can be helpful as well as there's a set time to complete them, and there's more of a sense of satisfaction when you complete them. A major part of procrastination is wanting quick satisfaction.

If you find yourself becoming restless, take a 5 minute break, no longer, and have a drink and a snack.

Any questions or anything PM me or post here, I have ADHD so I've developed a few coping mechanisms that i find useful, and I'm happy to answer any queries :smile:

thank you for the advice:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest