The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, I have a dilemma
So I just received an offer for combined honours in social sciences with a conditional of 38/45, 666 at higher level in the IB.
Then below that, it said the conditional offer was separate from the subject specific requirements - so since I want to study economics as one of my subjects within the course, I checked the requirement and it says 7 in SL math. But my predicted is a 6 in SL math and most of my personal statement was about economics - is it possible that they might allow me to take economics with a 6 in SL math, or are these requirements very strict even after you've gotten in?Thanks in advance!! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 561
Original post by skhuller
Hi guys, I have a dilemma
So I just received an offer for combined honours in social sciences with a conditional of 38/45, 666 at higher level in the IB.
Then below that, it said the conditional offer was separate from the subject specific requirements - so since I want to study economics as one of my subjects within the course, I checked the requirement and it says 7 in SL math. But my predicted is a 6 in SL math and most of my personal statement was about economics - is it possible that they might allow me to take economics with a 6 in SL math, or are these requirements very strict even after you've gotten in?Thanks in advance!! :smile:

I would really recommend you to explain your situation and ask the admission team. They will give you the very best answer to this, and instead of getting vague answers on here, you will receive a answer to be trusted and not have to worry about it - because you will have written trustworthy evidence of what to do. :h: Congratulations on your offer!
Original post by m1m2
I would really recommend you to explain your situation and ask the admission team. They will give you the very best answer to this, and instead of getting vague answers on here, you will receive a answer to be trusted and not have to worry about it - because you will have written trustworthy evidence of what to do. :h: Congratulations on your offer!

I sent them an email asking for clarification on the terms on taking Economics in the course - do you think I should have made it explicit that I have a 6 predicted for SL Math?
Ahhh this is horrible if I'm not eligible to take Economics as part of the course, Durham was my first choice :frown: Thank you though, I really hope it works out!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Got an offer for Comp Sci Masters yestarday XD

Does anyone know what it means if the campus code is Z though? Is that to do with college allocation, ie, they haven't done it yet?
Reply 564
Original post by skhuller
I sent them an email asking for clarification on the terms on taking Economics in the course - do you think I should have made it explicit that I have a 6 predicted for SL Math?
Ahhh this is horrible if I'm not eligible to take Economics as part of the course, Durham was my first choice :frown:

Yes, I think you might should´ve - but you could do that in the next round of email correspondence! You still have a lot of time to figure this out, and they obviously think you are a great applicant, so there is no reason to be sad about it just yet! I am not an expert, I am not even British or IB, but I do believe that you will be able to work this out. Just try your best to explain your situation, and I am sure I´ll see you in Durham next year!!:biggrin:
Original post by m1m2
Yes, I think you might should´ve - but you could do that in the next round of email correspondence! You still have a lot of time to figure this out, and they obviously think you are a great applicant, so there is no reason to be sad about it just yet! I am not an expert, I am not even British or IB, but I do believe that you will be able to work this out. Just try your best to explain your situation, and I am sure I´ll see you in Durham next year!!:biggrin:

Fingers crossed!! Thank you so much :smile:
anyone got offers from Durham for engineering (excluding international students :wink: )? ive heard they are notoriously late in giving out offers but still ...
Original post by Dylann
Current 1st year student studying Chemistry and I'm in Van Mildert. It's often overlooked when people apply (probably because it ends up at the bottom of an alphabetical list of the colleges...) I DEFINITELY would recommend checking Mildert out, it's such a great community and has good facilities. Located on the hill it's only a <10 min walk to the science site.

To be honest, I think all colleges are pretty good in their own right and will offer support and facilities etc so it doesn't really matter...remember a lot of people don't actually get which college they apply to (I applied originally to Jo Bo, what was I thinking :P!). Feel free to ask me any questions about chemistry or mildert (although I have a very limited experience so far)

check our our freshers video though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPDYbvr3J5Y!

Thanks for taking the time to help in this thread!

I've applied for chemistry at Durham (my no.1 choice if I got an offer!) and was just wondering how long they usually take to give offers out? When did you get your offer?

Also, how are you finding the course so far? How intense is it and what's the support like? :smile:
Applied for pharmacy at durham... does anyone have a rough idea of how the course is taught in comparison to other universities i.e kings? Also, how is the accomondation? x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 569
Original post by Duskstar
Got an offer for Comp Sci Masters yestarday XD

Does anyone know what it means if the campus code is Z though? Is that to do with college allocation, ie, they haven't done it yet?

Congratulations on your offer.
The 'z' campus code does mean they are yet to allocate a college, BUT it will probably never change on track. Certainly last year mine stayed at 'z' even after results day and confirmation of my place and college.
You will be contacted early next year about college allocation and offer holders days and overnight stay hosted by your college and department.
Original post by rocket_man
anyone got offers from Durham for engineering (excluding international students :wink: )? ive heard they are notoriously late in giving out offers but still ...

Not sure, but I've heard that they have given out offers. But I'm pretty sure most people get offers during Jan/Feb.
Original post by fw1
Congratulations on your offer.
The 'z' campus code does mean they are yet to allocate a college, BUT it will probably never change on track. Certainly last year mine stayed at 'z' even after results day and confirmation of my place and college.
You will be contacted early next year about college allocation and offer holders days and overnight stay hosted by your college and department.

Ah okay, thanks :smile:
Anyone heard back from Durham for Psychology?
Original post by woahjvck

I haven't yet and I applied nearly a month ago, though I have seen a couple people already have offers 😓 (I'm a gap year student applying with AAA)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 574

Yes, I got my offer within a week after application.

Edit: So did my friend. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Yep! Received my offer within a week of my application :smile: good luck you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 576
Hey guys, I applied to Durham for Law on 15th October and am yet to receive any form of acknowledgement - should I be worried?
Original post by Msachdeva789
My friend got an offer yesterday from Durham for History, so it seems like they've started to give offers.
I've applied for Computer Science, don't know how long it's going to take :P

What were your friends predicted/AS grades? I've applied for history but got told I wouldn't hear anything until January?
Original post by OConnor789
What were your friends predicted/AS grades? I've applied for history but got told I wouldn't hear anything until January?

We're doing the IB, she had a 44 out of 45 predicted. Hopefully you should hear soon.
Original post by m1m2
Yes, I got my offer within a week after application.

Edit: So did my friend. :smile:

Are you an international student or UK? And congrats on your offer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending