The Student Room Group

'High quality' unis to increase tuition fees

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34733096

But the universities minister has already announced that universities will be able to increase fees with inflation, above the £9,000 limit, if they can demonstrate high quality teaching.

Is this a return to a two tier system where the best education is a reserve for the wealthiest?

And Labour's university spokesman Gordon Marsden said this link would allow fees to be increased for some institutions and create a "two-tier system".

"That could brand some universities as second class, and damage the life chances of students who go to them," he said.

Scroll to see replies

I'm still p***ed off that, although I'm a UK passport holder and have lived there for several years, just because my parents came out to the middle east for their work, I have to pay 26k a year.
Come on... 45k+ student debt after 3 years isn't enough....
You guys hold the power. No one is putting a gun to your head making you go to uni. If you want to see a stop to a rise in fees unite and make a stand and refuse to pay it.
Original post by Student403
I'm still p***ed off that, although I'm a UK passport holder and have lived there for several years, just because my parents came out to the middle east for their work, I have to pay 26k a year.

Why is that so unfair? If your parents have been working in the middle east, presumably they haven't been paying tax here. It's no different to someone from the middle east who then wants to study here. This is the logical conclusion of having a market-based education system rather than one which intrinsically values knowledge as a social good and promotes free, accessible education.
Original post by Saoirse:3
Why is that so unfair? If your parents have been working in the middle east, presumably they haven't been paying tax here. It's no different to someone from the middle east who then wants to study here. This is the logical conclusion of having a market-based education system rather than one which intrinsically values knowledge as a social good and promotes free, accessible education.

It is not OP's parents that are applying to uni, it is the OP. Yes he has not paid taxes in the country either since he hasn't worked but neither have other UK citizens like him, they just happent to have British born parents and it will be the student paying back their fees, not the parents.
This is just Tory flag waving. They havn't got a clue what 'quality teaching' means - or how to measure it.

And they haven't actually grasped that most 'good learning' at University doesn't actually happen in a classroom, because the whole point of University level study is INDEPENDENT study. Which makes you wonder what sort of University (if any) the initiator of this press release actually went to.
I think it makes sense. Best unis should get more funding.
"With the increase of tuition fees, universties will have more places for students from poor backgrounds"
How will they afford the 12k a year anyway though?
Original post by Daftpunker
You guys hold the power. No one is putting a gun to your head making you go to uni. If you want to see a stop to a rise in fees unite and make a stand and refuse to pay it.

Just because you refuse to pay doesn't mean anything will change lol
Original post by OliveMonty
"With the increase of tuition fees, universties will have more places for students from poor backgrounds"
How will they afford the 12k a year anyway though?

They will take out a loan just like they do now... it doesn't matter if tuition fees are 9K or 12K or 120K, everyone can afford to be a debt slave.
"Free Education... Tax The Rich..."

Seriously?
Original post by Saoirse:3

I'm the one who's gonna have to pay it back. If I had lived in the UK, I'd be fine for uni. But my parents work here, and so I had to spend my 3 years prior over here and now have to face the international fees.
Original post by Daftpunker

Lol that wouldnt change anything, the conservatives dont care if the plebs cant afford to go to uni... remember, they are the conservatives. They're not gonna worry about social mobility. As long as the rich kids can afford to go to uni the Tories are happy. Everyone else can work at McDonalds.
Reply 14
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34733096

Is this a return to a two tier system where the best education is a reserve for the wealthiest?

My opinion:

Increase to 9000: Bad. I mean, most universities don't even spend 9000 on each student's teaching so increasing it seems a bit excessive.

Is it going to make the best education a reserve for the wealthiest? By principle no. Obviously the fact that we have private schools blurs the lines between background/wealth and higher quality education but I can't imagine it will change anything more than what we have now, since the tuition fees and maintenance loan system are useful for those from more deprived backgrounds.

Is this a return to a two tier system? Maybe but honestly why not? Too many people go to university for the "uni life" experience with the knowledge that they will probably never get a good job and the money all comes from the taxpayer. I know some of my friends who are studying at not-so-reputable universities and honestly it's a joke. A two-tier system is good in that it might make people who are planning on going to a lower-ranked university purely because of the fact that they feel pressure to go to university rethink their choices and do something which suits them more.

Just to give some context with regards to what I believe in: Personally I would dramatically reduce the number of universities and transfer the focus on vocational training, making university only a place for those who are academic and intend on going into graduate jobs - and then make university free but also really hard to get into. (using an arbitary mark, probably in principle only for those with BBB+ at A level)
Original post by Skitee
My opinion:

Increase to 9000: Bad. I mean, most universities don't even spend 9000 on each student's teaching so increasing it seems a bit excessive.

Is it going to make the best education a reserve for the wealthiest? By principle no. Obviously the fact that we have private schools blurs the lines between background/wealth and higher quality education but I can't imagine it will change anything more than what we have now, since the tuition fees and maintenance loan system are useful for those from more deprived backgrounds.

Is this a return to a two tier system? Maybe but honestly why not? Too many people go to university for the "uni life" experience with the knowledge that they will probably never get a good job and the money all comes from the taxpayer. I know some of my friends who are studying at not-so-reputable universities and honestly it's a joke. A two-tier system is good in that it might make people who are planning on going to a lower-ranked university purely because of the fact that they feel pressure to go to university rethink their choices and do something which suits them more.

Just to give some context with regards to what I believe in: Personally I would dramatically reduce the number of universities and transfer the focus on vocational training, making university only a place for those who are academic and intend on going into graduate jobs - and then make university free but also really hard to get into. (using an arbitary mark, probably in principle only for those with BBB+ at A level)

Makes no sense - BBB for Media, General studies, Sociology is very different to more harder subjects.
Whilst there are some good points to having such high fees, I am personally quite against this idea. I do think it would lead to a lot of snobbery and many people are already jackasses enough about looking down on people/inverse snobbery depending on what uni they went to, without adding any fuel to this :eek:
I'm surprised (not that I agree) that it's not based on the degree / subject area you study tbh.
Reply 18
[QUOTE=Skitee;60436651 in principle

Original post by Bill_Gates
Makes no sense - BBB for Media, General studies, Sociology is very different to more harder subjects.

What I meant was in principle those who are more academic. BBB as an arbitary (and flawed) gauge for those who are academic.
Tory arrogance, ignorance and elitism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending