The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16

Poll

Have you received any interview invitations yet + where?

Hey, so after the BMAT is over I figured I could start an interview thread to share tips + preparation resources. We could also use the thread to track when medical schools start sending out interviews :smile:

I've applied to Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham and Southampton - so two MMIs and two traditional interviews.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wait can other people edit that poll to add their schools? cos thats what i was trying to do but i dont think it worked
cant see a way of adding places
Reply 3
I think you have to add the places
Reply 4
Original post by dancinglove
wait can other people edit that poll to add their schools? cos thats what i was trying to do but i dont think it worked

I don't think other people can add their unis to the poll!:s-smilie:
Hey, i applied to Bristol, UEA, Hull/York and QUB but haven't heard anything. Got an offer for biomed in Southampton though.
Reply 6
I applied to the University of Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen. All require UKCAT results which should be sent sometime this week (apparently). Haven't heard anything yet and no updates in Track.
Any good interview courses somebody can recommend? When is the good time to take them? Do they do one to one mock interviews?

Thanks very much
I heard that uni got our ukcat score 2 days ago so interview calling should happen soon.

My uni aren't on the list. But do have an offer from B'ham in biomed.
Registered for the interview day course run by the bmat ninja guys but don't know how good it is as of yet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Hey guys!!

I'm applying to St Andrews, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee! 😊 so 3 MMI and 1 (relatively) traditional!
Applied to Dundee, St Andrews, Aberdeen and Hull York for Medicine! :smile:
Also got an unconditional from Newcastle for BioMed, so over the moon about that, at least I have something to fall back on if all else fails. :biggrin:
Original post by clairemcleish
Applied to Dundee, St Andrews, Aberdeen and Hull York for Medicine! :smile:
Also got an unconditional from Newcastle for BioMed, so over the moon about that, at least I have something to fall back on if all else fails. :biggrin:

Hey! That's so good about the unconditional! I had an offer from ncl but it was conditional for exercise biomed!
Reply 12
Applied for Glasgow, Newcastle, HYMS and Manchester. Absolutely crapping it for interviews. I dunno where to start preparing :frown:
Original post by cestanton1
Hey! That's so good about the unconditional! I had an offer from ncl but it was conditional for exercise biomed!

Did they offer you a conditional offer too? Mine is both for biomed in B'ham. If I make it firm, it's unconditional but if I make it an insurance, it becomes conditional.
I suppose if I get nothing, I can then make them firm :wink:
Hi, applied to Oxford, Nottingham, Birmingham and King's College London :h:
So 3 MMIs and 1 traditional XD XD
Heya, I applied to Nottingham, Sheffield, Imperial and UEA
3 of them use MMI's and one uses traditional
So, if someone said to you: Why Medicine/Why do you want to be a doctor? What would you say?

I was thinking about this and the reasons I had, whilst genuine, seemed a bit cliche (like I like science and helping people and blah...)
But then I thought, actually, aside from those points, why do I want to do medicine? I cam up with an answer but then I didn't know how to express it in words, it's just one of those things you know you either want to do, or not.

What do you guys think?
Original post by cookiemonster15
So, if someone said to you: Why Medicine/Why do you want to be a doctor? What would you say?

I was thinking about this and the reasons I had, whilst genuine, seemed a bit cliche (like I like science and helping people and blah...)
But then I thought, actually, aside from those points, why do I want to do medicine? I cam up with an answer but then I didn't know how to express it in words, it's just one of those things you know you either want to do, or not.

What do you guys think?

I think you should be really unique wih your answer and make sure they remember you.
It's harder than it sounds.
Also, when j went to my mock interviews, they said not to focus on that one specific reason of why I want to do medicine, there has to be more to it. Like what if that reason didn't exist, would you not wanna do medicine - you get me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
I think you should be really unique wih your answer and make sure they remember you.
It's harder than it sounds.
Also, when j went to my mock interviews, they said not to focus on that one specific reason of why I want to do medicine, there has to be more to it. Like what if that reason didn't exist, would you not wanna do medicine - you get me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean I've been finding it hard to find a unique reason because at the end of the day, many students would probably have the same reason for choosing medicine!

I've also been told that 'helping people' is not a valid reason but I just think thats a bit absurd because what a doctor primarily does is, help people.

I know I definately know I like the fact that it includes science and application of that into the real world (ie interacting with others) but if they disregard those answers, I don't know what I would fall back on?
Original post by cookiemonster15

What do you guys think?

Go with why you really do want to do medicine. Although it may be cliché, at least you're being honest, and the panel can tell whether you are just making something up or being genuine. Yes, it's great to be original and have a unique answer, but a passionate and honest answer outweighs any (according to my mentor)!

If it's nothing like the cliché answer (and not entirely true), the panel are more likely to catch you out and ask nasty questions!

Quick Reply

Latest