The Student Room Group

'High quality' unis to increase tuition fees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Imperion
Just because you refuse to pay doesn't mean anything will change lol

There are many examples through history where the masses through organisation and will power have rebelled against state enforced charges for all sorts of reasons. Most famously US boycott and more recently the "Twenties plenty" campaign for away football ticket prices.
Original post by OU Student
I'm surprised (not that I agree) that it's not based on the degree / subject area you study tbh.

That wouldn't work as then everyone would do STEM if it was cheaper. Then there would be no clueless humanities students paying 9000 for a few pieces of paper and subsidising the STEM people's fancy toys

It could be an idea for shortage areas except in this country degree course is immaterial for most jobs.
There is lots of inequality within education.

I think FE and HE should be free, why can't we be like Scotland.
Original post by Daftpunker
You guys hold the power. No one is putting a gun to your head making you go to uni. If you want to see a stop to a rise in fees unite and make a stand and refuse to pay it.

Thank you! Finally someone is demonstrating signs of thought.

Let me just add: You do not need university education. It's not like it was 20+ years ago, or even 10+ years ago tbh, where it may have been harder to access university level educational resources outside of university.

Now, not only can almost all, if not all, resources you will have access to at university, you can have access to yourself at home, but many of these resources can be accessed for free!

For example, there are ENTIRE undergrad courses gone through by retired teachers or simply enthusiasts of subjects on YouTube and other sites.

And if you aren't fond of self-teaching, you can hire a Professor on on sites like tutorfair to privately teach you at a cost lower than that of university.

Think students!
Original post by Blackstarr

There is no free university education, someone is paying for it. Only free education exists online, on sites like YT.
Original post by OliveMonty
"With the increase of tuition fees, universties will have more places for students from poor backgrounds"
How will they afford the 12k a year anyway though?

The same way they afford 9K fees and 3K fees: student loan.
You are giving the misleading impression that these fees are paid upfront or during your studies.
Original post by TabulaSmaragdina
Thank you! Finally someone is demonstrating signs of thought.

Let me just add: You do not need university education. It's not like it was 20+ years ago, or even 10+ years ago tbh, where it may have been harder to access university level educational resources outside of university.

Now, not only can almost all, if not all, resources you will have access to at university, you can have access to yourself at home, but many of these resources can be accessed for free!

For example, there are ENTIRE undergrad courses gone through by retired teachers or simply enthusiasts of subjects on YouTube and other sites.

And if you aren't fond of self-teaching, you can hire a Professor on on sites like tutorfair to privately teach you at a cost lower than that of university.

Think students!

Sadly most employers want evidence that you've completed your education to university level in the form of a degree certificate :yy:
Original post by returnmigrant
This is just Tory flag waving. They havn't got a clue what 'quality teaching' means - or how to measure it.

And they haven't actually grasped that most 'good learning' at University doesn't actually happen in a classroom, because the whole point of University level study is INDEPENDENT study. Which makes you wonder what sort of University (if any) the initiator of this press release actually went to.

This

There's so little detail on important logistical matters in this Green paper that it's likely to end up completely reworked before eventually becoming a White paper some time next year.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Sadly most employers want evidence that you've completed your education to university level in the form of a degree certificate :yy:

This is true. Putting aside the fact that nobody needs a university education (an irrelevant point), anyone who does apply will be subject to this disparity in fees. And to those who say that it's just a bigger loan, it's effectively reducing the salary of people until their fifties. Not great if you're paying a mortgage.

Indeed. (Rational) Students who go to university are making the decision to invest the cost of studies to obtaining a qualification which is a more or less universally accepted measure of the level of education they've acquired. So why should this be free? Unless they feel entitled to employment opportunities.

In addition, you can always acquire knowledge and employ yourself. You may not require yourself to have a university degree.

On a side note, I personally think universities should allow people to sit their exams without attending the university for 3+ years, like A-levels.
Original post by addylad
This is true. Putting aside the fact that nobody needs a university education (an irrelevant point), anyone who does apply will be subject to this disparity in fees. And to those who say that it's just a bigger loan, it's effectively reducing the salary of people until their fifties. Not great if you're paying a mortgage.

Not if you only want to go to university to be able to earn a high salary.
Indeed. (Rational) Students who go to university are making the decision to invest the cost of studies to obtaining a qualification which is a more or less universally accepted measure of the level of education they've acquired. So why should this be free? Unless they feel entitled to employment opportunities.

In addition, you can always acquire knowledge and employ yourself. You may not require yourself to have a university degree.

On a side note, I personally think universities should allow people to sit their exams without attending the university for 3+ years, like A-levels.

You can indeed make yourself successful - this is a hard graft though which honestly requires a fair amount of luck.

People are forced to go to university because the market's so saturated that you need a degree for jobs which previously employers would not have asked a degree for.

The choice between taking out a massive student loan to obtain a degree, or the possibility of facing a future on low job security and poorly paid employment is not much of a choice really.

Apprenticeships and vocational education or school leaver programmes are a good alternative however. :beard:
Original post by Student403
I'm the one who's gonna have to pay it back. If I had lived in the UK, I'd be fine for uni. But my parents work here, and so I had to spend my 3 years prior over here and now have to face the international fees.

You may or may not pay it back, based on very privileged terms which are subsidised by British taxpayers. If your family has chosen to move abroad to make more money than they could here - and, I'm guessing, pay a substantially lower tax rate - they can use some of that money to put you through uni. I agree that it sucks, but it's the only way the system we have can work. This road towards a system where you have to pay to learn is exactly why the students are protesting and exactly why we should be supporting them, not disparaging them for it.
You can indeed make yourself successful - this is a hard graft though which honestly requires a fair amount of luck.

People are forced to go to university because the market's so saturated that you need a degree for jobs which previously employers would not have asked a degree for.

The choice between taking out a massive student loan to obtain a degree, or the possibility of facing a future on low job security and poorly paid employment is not much of a choice really.

Apprenticeships and vocational education or school leaver programs are a good alternative however. :beard:

No, I'm sorry, but that's just wrong. Any idiot can recycle metals, and that's a lucrative enterprise if you're willing to work hard. Rent a garage, it costs money to dispose of an old car so people are willing to sell them at very low prices, strip the cars, collect car battery lead plates, copper elements, brass, if you're lucky, platinum (e.g. in catalytic converters), valued at around £20 per g! http://www.scrapsales.co.uk/

All it requires is hard graft, and most people are either lazy or would rather spend their time "enjoying" themselves, that's the true reason why people are trapped on low salaries.

The market is saturated because the majority of people wants the easier option of having a job handed to them rather than creating their own jobs.
(edited 8 years ago)
No, I'm sorry, but that's just wrong. Any idiot can recycle metals, and that's a lucrative enterprise if you're willing to work hard. Rent a garage, it costs money to dispose of an old car so people are willing to sell them at very low prices, strip the cars, collect car battery lead plates, copper elements, brass, if you're lucky, platinum (e.g. in catalytic converters), valued at around £20 per g! http://www.scrapsales.co.uk/

All it requires is hard graft, and most people are either lazy or would rather spend their time "enjoying" themselves, that's the true reason why people are trapped on low salaries.

The market is saturated because the majority of people wants the easier option of having a job handed to them rather than creating their own jobs.

If everyone started selling scrap that would quickly no longer be a lucrative business model. :beard:
If everyone started selling scrap that would quickly no longer be a lucrative business model. :beard:

Indeed, but I just came up with that in 5 minutes. The point I'm making is that there are infinitely many other options.
Whatever level fees are at they should be increasing with inflation. At the moment you have a system where students are paying relatively less year-on-year and therefore universities are having to deal with a smaller budget every year to teach the same course.
Original post by Blackstarr

You've already had 13 free years of education.
Original post by Juichiro
The same way they afford 9K fees and 3K fees: student loan.
You are giving the misleading impression that these fees are paid upfront or during your studies.

But despite this loan, ontop of accomodation, most people from working class backgrounds cant afford to pay back the loans. I'd rather only be in 27k of debt than 36k of debt 😂
Original post by OliveMonty
But despite this loan, ontop of accomodation, most people from working class backgrounds cant afford to pay back the loans. I'd rather only be in 27k of debt than 36k of debt 😂

They're not paid back in the same way as other loans. You pay back 9% once you earn over £21k per year. Your loan is then wiped after 30 years. Under the old system, it's (it goes up with inflation each year) it's 9% over approx. £17k per year.

It's one of the cheapest loans you can get.

Quick Reply

Latest