The Student Room Group

Share your uni exams tips and rituals

So I ve got an exam in just over a week and the nerves are kicking in so thought to start a thread to share the things we all do to stay calm in the days and hours before your uni exams
Particularly if it's a morning exam, I make sure I get enough sleep and wake up to do a tiny bit of work before, as well as make sure I'm not late.
Get a good sleep before
Have a good breakfast that comfortably fills you up
Take in a bottle of water with you
I like to read my notes right until I walk in the exam room
If you travel on public transport, read your notes then
In the days before the exam, write key points/facts on post it notes and put them on your wall. Read them a few times a day

I had a weird ritual in my first year, I thought wearing a leopard print item of clothing brought me good luck :tongue: It seemed to work for most of my exams!
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Get a good sleep before
In the days before the exam, write key points/facts on post it notes and put them on your wall. Read them a few times a day

I had a weird ritual in my first year, I thought wearing a leopard print item of clothing brought me good luck :tongue: It seemed to work for most of my exams!

I did the total opposite of that, generally I find that last minute revision is a total waste of time and that I, personally, benefit more from taking the half hour before an exam to think about something else. That way I am calm, relaxed and confident in the work I have done up to that point.

The key OP, is to find something that works for you, copying what others find helpful carte blanche, will get you the benefit you could get.
Original post by mojojojo101
I did the total opposite of that, generally I find that last minute revision is a total waste of time and that I, personally, benefit more from taking the half hour before an exam to think about something else. That way I am calm, relaxed and confident in the work I have done up to that point.

The key OP, is to find something that works for you, copying what others find helpful carte blanche, will get you the benefit you could get.

I feel like it helped me but I'm not too sure! I always feel like not doing anything while waiting to go into the exam room made me feel like I was forgetting stuff :colondollar: But if I was looking at the notes, it would stick in my head better.. maybe I'm just odd :lol:
Original post by SeanFM
Particularly if it's a morning exam, I make sure I get enough sleep and wake up to do a tiny bit of work before, as well as make sure I'm not late.

Sleep is definetly important to me. I can never decide if doing any work before the exam helps or hinders me really.

Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Get a good sleep before

We are the complete opposite in that sense as (probably because i m dyslexic) i feel i d need to save brain power for the exam so dont want to read much very close to it really. In fact avoiding doing reading unless its very active reading and doing stuff with the info is a common theme for me. Sounds like you have a brain that loves reading really:smile: I think i might get some post its up round the flat with some facts i m struggling with though:smile:

Well if the leopard print helps then why not:P
Original post by mojojojo101

I think that could probably suit me better, I definitely cant do any cramming without feeling anxious (or at least i couldn't in the past). I m afraid i m not familliar with the term carte blanche but i do agree that different things work for different people
work hard beforehand - get plenty of sleep - wake up super early and do an hour or two of going over notes - drink water - eat food - do well :P
You should always remain calm (as with all exams), do a quick bit of revision before going in, just as a warm-up. On the day, you should not spend hours looking at notes before the exam because that will just stress you out and probably hinder your performance in the exam.

Also, most uni exams are 3 hours long, so they can be quite tiring. Make sure you get enough sleep, eat and drink well. You don't want to suffer from dehydration or a lack of energy.

Another thing is to always remain positive. Remember that you just need to give it your best shot, and it's hardly a matter of life and death! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest