The Student Room Group

Is Turkey still safe to visit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sebklaine
Ah, I might change my mind then. I don't know what the conditions are at sea except there will probably be a LOT of migrants/migrant boats near Cyprus. I can vouch for the safety of places like Bodrum and Istanbul, not so much for the Mediterranean sea.

Thanks anyway. Do you think it will still be the case in Easter?
not very safe really, but most areas are relevantly terror free zones.:s-smilie:
the government actually has some really useful advice:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey
Crime is apparently rife, with legions of pickpockets and masses of hungry refugees travelling to Germany, who you should avoid, unless you want to give them stuff.
Turkish police are reputably much like any other corrupt continental police force, and should not be relied on.
Do not obviously go near the Syrian border, because you might get hit by a bomb/shell/bullet/crazy sword wielding manic.
so really if you stick to the holiday areas you should be fine (provided you chain your wallet to yourself)
Reply 22
Original post by JeremyOU
not very safe really, but most areas are relevantly terror free zones.:s-smilie:
the government actually has some really useful advice:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey
Crime is apparently rife, with legions of pickpockets and masses of hungry refugees travelling to Germany, who you should avoid, unless you want to give them stuff.
Turkish police are reputably much like any other corrupt continental police force, and should not be relied on.
Do not obviously go near the Syrian border, because you might get hit by a bomb/shell/bullet/crazy sword wielding manic.
so really if you stick to the holiday areas you should be fine (provided you chain your wallet to yourself)

Yeah, it's a sailing thing round the Med so hopefully there will be no refugee boats :s-smilie:

Thanks
Original post by RiotGirll
Yeah, it's a sailing thing round the Med so hopefully there will be no refugee boats :s-smilie:

Thanks

I would think the cruise company deliberately avoids the areas the refugee boats most use.
Reply 24
I would think the cruise company deliberately avoids the areas the refugee boats most use.

It's not a cruise, so less safe unfortunately, you're sailing around on quite a small boat. It's a preplanned route though. :smile:
It's not a cruise, so less safe unfortunately, you're sailing around on quite a small boat. It's a preplanned route though. :smile:

you should be fine.:smile:
(for goodness sake check with the holiday provider on this issue before you go)
Reply 26
you should be fine.:smile:
(for goodness sake check with the holiday provider on this issue before you go)

Yeah I will thanks :smile: They probably won't want people cancelling though lol
Yeah I will thanks :smile: They probably won't want people cancelling though lol

that's true.:redface:
Off course it is safe to visit. I am Turkish myself and my friends always ask where to visit in Turkey, and the city that comes to my mind is always Istanbul. Couple of months ago, it may not have been safe not for sure it is now and that the President Erdogan has cleared all the majority of terrorists that includes PKK and ISIS. Turkey is one of the most developing countries around the world and ot will join the EU soon.
Reply 29
Original post by BiomedLJMU
Off course it is safe to visit. I am Turkish myself and my friends always ask where to visit in Turkey, and the city that comes to my mind is always Istanbul. Couple of months ago, it may not have been safe not for sure it is now and that the President Erdogan has cleared all the majority of terrorists that includes PKK and ISIS. Turkey is one of the most developing countries around the world and ot will join the EU soon.

Thank you :smile: what about the Mediterranean sea? It is a sailing trip

Would you recommend visiting anywhere apart from Istanbul afte
Reply 30

Thank you :smile: what about the Mediterranean sea? It is a sailing trip

Would you recommend visiting anywhere apart from Istanbul after it ends
Reply 31

I didn't know the PKK had been 'cleared'.
you come to turkey. Turkey's eastern region not somewhat safe and other places are quite safe.
Reply 33
It might almost have been safer then. Are you Jewish if you don't mind me asking? (Most of the ones I know have been for religious reasons) :smile:

I'm atheist, family's Christian (loosely)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Friends want to go for Easter

I had friends who went there in the summer and they said it was a hell pit. Females are very much at risk from sexual assault. Stay away from that part of the world
He can pee off to where he came from!
Friends want to go for Easter

Its a lot safer than Tunisia, but it's the main transit route for ISIS members in Syria. Also I don't like the way Turkey treats the Kurds. They fight ISIS and Turkey attacks them...
I'm sure it is,although I'd probably be in tears with all the Syrian displaced people begging for money on the streets everywhere you turn. I want to go someday again
Original post by Gears265
I had friends who went there in the summer and they said it was a hell pit. Females are very much at risk from sexual assault. Stay away from that part of the world

Rape happens everywhere in the world,including in this country. If you're suggesting ethnic minorities are rapey then think again. Plenty of people go abroad to Turkey or the Middle East and have made it back in one peace. People love the Middle East as a holiday destination,deal with it

Quick Reply

Latest