The Student Room Group

IB Combination advice? (urgent!)

Hi! I'll be choosing my options for IB in a couple weeks, but I'm still having some serious doubts about my subject choices. I don't know what I will do in the future, so I'm finding it quite difficult to choose my subjects! >_<

Here's what I have so far..
HL:
- Chem
- Econ
- English Lit
- Maths

SL:
- Chinese A (If I get the option to drop to HL Chinese B, I might swap either English or Maths to SL)
- Film Studies / Music / Bio

I have never studied film before, but it seems like an interesting subject (plus there's no exam at the end of the year as it's mainly coursework -- I love photography and also make videos occasionally, so this is something that appeals to me. I'm not sure if I should go for it though, as I don't have much experience with the subject and I didn't take it for my IGCSEs -- any advice?)

I am extremely familiar with music and am involved in many musical activities. I learn 2 instruments (passed my diplomas already) and I have some theory knowledge so if I take this, it's probably just to boost my overall score. (I'm not super duper interested in music though but maybe my score > interest?)

Bio. ew. Okay it's a good fit for my HL Chem option and opens up more career options, but personally I find it uninteresting and I can never remember everything because there's just so much content I need to remember! I also have a really bad memory which doesn't help (I'm not exaggerating, my memory is rather horrible for my age). So this is probably a no-go for me, but my mother is encouraging me to take it at SL.

The reason I'm taking 4 HL's is because I'd like to try and see if I can cope with HL Maths. If I can't, I'll drop down to SL afterwards! :1

If anyone has any advice please don't hesitate to comment!
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I honestly think that taking 4 HLs might be pushing it a little, because you might not have time to juggle everything, along with TOK and your EE. If anything, demote the Maths to an SL straight away unless you need it for your university course. SL Maths is quite manageable. Music also seems sort of a tough subject for my friends who took it.

The rest of your choices seem fine :biggrin: I'm personally more of a Physics person than a Chemistry one but to each her own.
Reply 2
Original post by baconandeggs
I honestly think that taking 4 HLs might be pushing it a little, because you might not have time to juggle everything, along with TOK and your EE. If anything, demote the Maths to an SL straight away unless you need it for your university course. SL Maths is quite manageable. Music also seems sort of a tough subject for my friends who took it.

The rest of your choices seem fine :biggrin: I'm personally more of a Physics person than a Chemistry one but to each her own.

oh. do you know if the hl and sl math courses differ a lot? I thought they were the same except the hl had more topics to cover, but apparently they're really different :frown: I was planning to drop down after a while, since I really don't think I can cope with the level of maths, and I thought because the course was relatively the same HL classes would just learn the content at a faster pace, I would drop down and still be ahead of the SL classes? I just think Chem and Maths is a really good combination... But I probably won't be able to score very highly... oh but I really want to >w< I'm so torn gaaahh

I think Music will be fairly okay for me, especially since it's only an SL because I am quite familiar with the theory and all :smile:

My brother took SL physics and HL maths and he died doing the IB (at that time he really excelled at maths too) so I don't think I'll be doing physics :P It's really deceiving because in IGCSE, I actually consider it to be one of the easiest sciences out of the three!

Do you mind if I ask what you took for IB? :P
This might be a little far into the future but do you have an idea of what you wanna be doing in university? I wouldn't underestimate IB Music, my sister and some of my friends have done it and it's pretty intensive, apparently it's quite a bit of music theory and even the exam can stress some people out!

I did HL Chem and Econ but they drastically changed the curriculum for Econ for the grade beneath me, however I think it's still pretty straightforward so that's no problem, same for Chem if you have a genuine interest in it. You do more topics in HL Math and I think you also do an extra IA but if you're into math you'll be fine. What you said about Bio being good for future career choices is kinda bs, unless you want to study it in some manner, it really won't matter what you did in high school as long as you did well. I wouldn't take it if you genuinely don't want to, IB is already enough of a struggle, no need to make it worse by doing classes you don't like on top of it!
Reply 4
Original post by alexschmalex
This might be a little far into the future but do you have an idea of what you wanna be doing in university? I wouldn't underestimate IB Music, my sister and some of my friends have done it and it's pretty intensive, apparently it's quite a bit of music theory and even the exam can stress some people out!

I did HL Chem and Econ but they drastically changed the curriculum for Econ for the grade beneath me, however I think it's still pretty straightforward so that's no problem, same for Chem if you have a genuine interest in it. You do more topics in HL Math and I think you also do an extra IA but if you're into math you'll be fine. What you said about Bio being good for future career choices is kinda bs, unless you want to study it in some manner, it really won't matter what you did in high school as long as you did well. I wouldn't take it if you genuinely don't want to, IB is already enough of a struggle, no need to make it worse by doing classes you don't like on top of it!

I'm not saying IB Music is easy, but compared to my other subjects it will probably be a bit easier for me, because of my musical background. As long as I prepare for my listening tests well enough, I should be fine! :smile:

And yeah, I'm leaning towards not doing bio anymore, and I'm just debating which two out of these three (Maths, Econ, and English) I should take for my HLs. I think by taking HL Maths, it helps with uni/career options? I really want to do HL Maths, but I'm just scared that I won't understand a single thing and I'll fall behind in like the first week of school :s I'm also really scared about doing econ because I don't know if I'll find it really boring :/ I do gcse geography at the moment, and I really regret taking it because I don't enjoy it at all and I can't bring myself to put the effort into the subject because of how much I dislike the subject :frown: [humanities really isn't my strong point, and although I enjoy learning about certain subjects like HIstory, for example, I tend to do really badly on the exams]

and as for university..ahah that's exactly my problem! I have absolutely no idea what I want to study in university! Q_Q So it makes choosing my subjects even harder. I know I can't do engineering since I'm not taking HL Maths and Physics, so that's gone. I know I don't want to do law, med, or language, so those three fields are gone. That leaves something to do with creative arts, or something science-y. I'm super into creative arts and all that, but the problem is that I'm not very good at it (as in drawing/sketching/art so design won't exactly be an option. I love photography, so I was considering taking film studies, but I don't really don't know. I also don't think there'll be a high chance that it'll be my major either so I guess it's going to stay a hobby :c so basically I'm in a giant poophole.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chenji
oh. do you know if the hl and sl math courses differ a lot? I thought they were the same except the hl had more topics to cover, but apparently they're really different :frown: I was planning to drop down after a while, since I really don't think I can cope with the level of maths, and I thought because the course was relatively the same HL classes would just learn the content at a faster pace, I would drop down and still be ahead of the SL classes? I just think Chem and Maths is a really good combination... But I probably won't be able to score very highly... oh but I really want to >w< I'm so torn gaaahh

I think Music will be fairly okay for me, especially since it's only an SL because I am quite familiar with the theory and all :smile:

My brother took SL physics and HL maths and he died doing the IB (at that time he really excelled at maths too) so I don't think I'll be doing physics :P It's really deceiving because in IGCSE, I actually consider it to be one of the easiest sciences out of the three!

Do you mind if I ask what you took for IB? :P

HL and SL Maths are worlds apart. I also thought that HL Maths wouldn't differ very much from the SL course but a few weeks into maths classes proved me wrong. The difference in standards are really different. Chem and Maths is a really good combination though, there's no denying that. You would be hard pressed to find a course you couldn't get into.

SL Physics is not all that different from HL, so I guess if you don't plan on doing it at a HL level then you're much better off doing something else (something less time-consuming) :biggrin:

I took HL History, Chem, Physics and SL Lang lit, Chinese B and Maths. I started off with HL Maths and SL History before finding that HL Maths was far too difficult. HL Maths shouldn't be pursued unless you really have an active interest in Maths and/or need it for your university course. Switching to HL History was the best decision I've made in my life. The course is engaging and history to me, is just far far less stressful than maths is.
Reply 6
HL and SL Maths are worlds apart. I also thought that HL Maths wouldn't differ very much from the SL course but a few weeks into maths classes proved me wrong. The difference in standards are really different. Chem and Maths is a really good combination though, there's no denying that. You would be hard pressed to find a course you couldn't get into.

SL Physics is not all that different from HL, so I guess if you don't plan on doing it at a HL level then you're much better off doing something else (something less time-consuming) :biggrin:

I took HL History, Chem, Physics and SL Lang lit, Chinese B and Maths. I started off with HL Maths and SL History before finding that HL Maths was far too difficult. HL Maths shouldn't be pursued unless you really have an active interest in Maths and/or need it for your university course. Switching to HL History was the best decision I've made in my life. The course is engaging and history to me, is just far far less stressful than maths is.

dang iiiiit. I was planning on doing either HL Maths or Econ, and I think I'll just have to scrap maths now, but I got a reply from someone else saying HL Econ was quite difficult for someone without any background in economics (I didn't take it in IGCSE). I would do History for my humanities block choice, because I find learning it is rather interesting and enjoyable, but I just do really bad on the exams -- anything with writing really, so I suck at humanities which is why I really don't like it >__> There's also so much to remember, and I really don't think it'd be suitable for someone like me who has a really bad memory!

If I took swap my maths and english (so then I'll be taking HL Eng Lit and SL Maths), and scrapped HL Econ, what other subject would you recommend for my last HL slot? I miiiight go into food science/nutrition or into the business/econ/finance field in my future.(I just went to a university open day today, and those are the courses that I think I could do so yeah)

also..HL CHEM AND PHYSICS?!? how did you not die?? :P Is it really as difficult as everyone says? I mean, I've given up on engineering, but still I'm curious xD
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chenji
dang iiiiit. I was planning on doing either HL Maths or Econ, and I think I'll just have to scrap maths now, but I got a reply from someone else saying HL Econ was quite difficult for someone without any background in economics (I didn't take it in IGCSE). I would do History for my humanities block choice, because I find learning it is rather interesting and enjoyable, but I just do really bad on the exams -- anything with writing really, so I suck at humanities which is why I really don't like it >__> There's also so much to remember, and I really don't think it'd be suitable for someone like me who has a really bad memory!

If I took swap my maths and english (so then I'll be taking HL Eng Lit and SL Maths), and scrapped HL Econ, what other subject would you recommend for my last HL slot? I miiiight go into food science/nutrition or into the business/econ/finance field in my future.(I just went to a university open day today, and those are the courses that I think I could do so yeah)

also..HL CHEM AND PHYSICS?!? how did you not die?? :P Is it really as difficult as everyone says? I mean, I've given up on engineering, but still I'm curious xD

All the IB HLs require a fair bit of time, but since you're interested and enjoy History, I would say to go for it. History is less of memorising and more of how to phrase arguments for IB anyway. I have classes for my HLs for four out of five days in a week, so I would say consider all the subjects and pick what you're most naturally inclined and interested in or school would start becoming really exhausting. My friends who take Econ, both SL and HL, whinge a lot about it :biggrin: but it does seem to be a more 'science-y' humanities than the rest, so don't give it up yet (especially if you want to go into business).

HL Chem and Physics are a terror. I'm all right with Physics because I love the subject but it is so difficult to do well in. It's basically constant practice or you'll get rusty. Chemistry is the science subject that I'm less interested in and it reflects in my grades. I find it quite dull but then again, still better than HL Maths XD.
Reply 8
All the IB HLs require a fair bit of time, but since you're interested and enjoy History, I would say to go for it. History is less of memorising and more of how to phrase arguments for IB anyway. I have classes for my HLs for four out of five days in a week, so I would say consider all the subjects and pick what you're most naturally inclined and interested in or school would start becoming really exhausting. My friends who take Econ, both SL and HL, whinge a lot about it :biggrin: but it does seem to be a more 'science-y' humanities than the rest, so don't give it up yet (especially if you want to go into business).

HL Chem and Physics are a terror. I'm all right with Physics because I love the subject but it is so difficult to do well in. It's basically constant practice or you'll get rusty. Chemistry is the science subject that I'm less interested in and it reflects in my grades. I find it quite dull but then again, still better than HL Maths XD.

ahah aw I'm not sure if I should do HL History though because although I do enjoy it, I don't think I will be doing anything that requires an HL History :P and gosh I'm glad I'm not doing chem and phys xD it seems to be torturous.. I have asked various university faculties (related to science), and a lot of them say that Chem is the one that they require and will look at the most (except for engineering of course) so I'm hoping it's okay if I don't take SL Bio or anything :P I don't particularly like bio >.< too much content to remember!

just out of curiousity, which year of IB are you currently in? :redface:
Reply 9
Original post by chenji
x

I do 4 HL's as well: Maths, Physics, Economics and Business Management - don't listen to the scaremongering on here, Maths HL is piss easy once you focus on proper mathematical understanding instead of jumping through hoops and learning things for the exam like most schools encourage.

I find that I barely have to do any work for Maths and Physics HL and the only subject that's hard and requires intensive preparation and revision is Economics. (although if you do it at HL, you get a third paper which is essentially free full marks because of how easy it is, the numerical paper).
Original post by chenji
x

I didn't do the IB, but what about:

HL: Economics, History, Chemistry
SL: Maths, English Lit, Music/Chinese A?
Original post by Zacken
I do 4 HL's as well: Maths, Physics, Economics and Business Management - don't listen to the scaremongering on here, Maths HL is piss easy once you focus on proper mathematical understanding instead of jumping through hoops and learning things for the exam like most schools encourage.

I find that I barely have to do any work for Maths and Physics HL and the only subject that's hard and requires intensive preparation and revision is Economics. (although if you do it at HL, you get a third paper which is essentially free full marks because of how easy it is, the numerical paper).

Surely, easiness depends on the person? I did Scottish AH Spanish, History and English Lit (A2 / HL) and I didn't struggle at all, and actually got full marks for Spanish which the native speaker didn't even get. But, that's me; however, I struggled incredibly so with Scottish Higher Biology (AS / SL) even though I spent the most time on it...
Reply 12
Original post by Quick-use
Surely, easiness depends on the person? I did Scottish AH Spanish, History and English Lit (A2 / HL) and I didn't struggle at all, and actually got full marks for Spanish which the native speaker didn't even get. But, that's me; however, I struggled incredibly so with Scottish Higher Biology (AS / SL) even though I spent the most time on it...

Fair enough, but so does difficulty - which would make anybody saying "HL Maths is difficult" an opinion of their own and irrelevant to the OP?

My post was mainly going for "just because some people say it's difficult doesn't mean it actually is".
Original post by Zacken
Fair enough, but so does difficulty - which would make anybody saying "HL Maths is difficult" an opinion of their own and irrelevant to the OP?

My post was mainly going for "just because some people say it's difficult doesn't mean it actually is".

Yeah, that's true. But, I think the OP mentioned earlier that they don't really like Maths that much and that they're not very good at it. However, I think the OP assumes that it'd look nice paired with Chemistry and would open more doors for university etc, even though it's not something they're that good at/interested in.
Reply 14
Yeah, that's true. But, I think the OP mentioned earlier that they don't really like Maths that much and that they're not very good at it. However, I think the OP assumes that it'd look nice paired with Chemistry and would open more doors for university etc, even though it's not something they're that good at/interested in.

Good point - I must have skimmed over that. :tongue:
Original post by chenji
ahah aw I'm not sure if I should do HL History though because although I do enjoy it, I don't think I will be doing anything that requires an HL History :P and gosh I'm glad I'm not doing chem and phys xD it seems to be torturous.. I have asked various university faculties (related to science), and a lot of them say that Chem is the one that they require and will look at the most (except for engineering of course) so I'm hoping it's okay if I don't take SL Bio or anything :P I don't particularly like bio >.< too much content to remember!

just out of curiousity, which year of IB are you currently in? :redface:

Year 13. Well, I chose my subjects rather haphazardly. The university courses I've applied in no way involve Chemistry and Physics. But it's been a good two years studying them anyway.

I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 16
I didn't do the IB, but what about:

HL: Economics, History, Chemistry
SL: Maths, English Lit, Music/Chinese A?

Hi Quick-use! Thanks for the suggestion ^_^ and ahah I wish Chinese was optional for me but I have to take it so it's definitely going to be at SL :/ As for humanity subjects, I think I'm just going to do one, since they aren't my strengths (leaning towards Econ here but still not sure :P)

Yep! hehe that's what I mean xD THE STRUGGLE

Original post by Zacken

I actually think I've read your comment on someone elses thread because I recall someone paring the phrase ''piss easy'' with the subject HL Maths xD
You make HL Maths and Physics sound so easy! I wish it was as easy as you described :P I am currently on my last year of IGCSE and I'm not doing too bad, getting A*s and high A's, but I still think I'm going to struggle lots if I do HL Maths. Hmm. Do you know how the SL and HL courses are different from each other?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Year 13. Well, I chose my subjects rather haphazardly. The university courses I've applied in no way involve Chemistry and Physics. But it's been a good two years studying them anyway.

I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck! :biggrin:

ooh yikes >.< I messed up my IGCSE options too, I'm just hoping I don't do the same for IB :s
Thanks for all your help! (Good luck in uni ehehe :3)
Don't take 4 HLs. It's too much and you'l burn out. I suggest keeping Bio and Chem HL and trying out Maths HL. If you find it too hard (it's harder than A Level Maths), pick Economics HL which isn't too challenging. Drop English Lit to SL, as not many degrees require HL (unless you want to study an English Literature degree). Trust me, IB is stressful enough with 3 HLs, you don't want to increase your workload. At the end of the day, unis care about your points, not how many HLs you have. I got 44 points on the IB btw, and it wouldn't have been even remotely possible with 4 HLs.
Reply 19
Original post by EconObsessed
Don't take 4 HLs. It's too much and you'l burn out. I suggest keeping Bio and Chem HL and trying out Maths HL. If you find it too hard (it's harder than A Level Maths), pick Economics HL which isn't too challenging. Drop English Lit to SL, as not many degrees require HL (unless you want to study an English Literature degree). Trust me, IB is stressful enough with 3 HLs, you don't want to increase your workload. At the end of the day, unis care about your points, not how many HLs you have. I got 44 points on the IB btw, and it wouldn't have been even remotely possible with 4 HLs.

woah!! 44 points is amaazing :OO
I don't think I'll be doing bio hl though, I feel like my brain will die from all the memorizing I have to do
and yeah even if I do bio and chem hl, I definitely won't be able to cope with maths hl, that would just leave me with a disastrous score! :P
Did you take HL Bio by any chance? :smile: (If not, what subjects did you take? :O)

and yes I don't really want to do HL Eng Lit, because I don't really need it, but I don't really think I can cope with HL Maths ;n;

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending