The Student Room Group

Is there a need for GP surgeries to be open 7 days a week?

There's a new piece of research just come out from the Norwich Medical School about GP access and the government's proposed 7 day NHS.

Based on data from the 2014 General Practice Patient Survey our researchers have found 4 out 5 people are happy with the traditional GP opening times, and that a Saturday opening - not a Sunday opening - would meet the needs of those who are young or in work during the week.

Dr Ford from UEA also believes the pilots so far haven't shown sufficient demand for appointments on a Sunday: “Some weekend opening pilots have already begun to show that there is a lack of demand on Sundays, and our findings suggest that Sunday opening, in addition to Saturday, would be unlikely to improve access."

So what do you think - would you use a Sunday appointment or would Saturday appointments be sufficient? Would opening 7 days be worth the extra funding? We'd love to hear your thoughts.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

UEA y u so topical
What if the NHS wasn't available 7 days a week?

"I understand you are having a heart attack sir, but you will have to pop back in on Monday as the GP surgery isn't available on Sundays"
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Killerpenguin15

"I understand you are having a heart attack sir, but you will have to pop back in on Monday as the NHS isn't available on Sundays"

Now that's slightly different - we're talking about GP surgeries which is what the proposals mostly relate to. For emergencies like that hospitals have to open 7 days a week! Will make that clearer in the initial post.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by University of East Anglia
Now that's slightly different - we're talking about GP surgeries. Correct me if I'm wrong but hospitals have always opened 7 days a week...

I don't understand the difference? :confused:

EDIT: Just saw the edit, now I understand. Whoops!
(edited 8 years ago)
If GPs were open 7 days a week, maybe people wouldn't be waiting so long for a doctor's appointment. The last time I needed an appointment, I had to wait a week for one.
yes, i don't undestand why they aren't already tbh.
if they were open at the weekends (any why shouldn't they be, loads of other proffesions have to work weekends and doctors get paid loads anyway :s-smilie:) more people could get an appointment sooner and people wouldn't have to miss school which the government hates you doing but when else are you meant to go? :colonhash:
Reply 7
On topic Russell Howard:

http://youtu.be/M4pmgmzBuvg
Original post by OU Student
If GPs were open 7 days a week, maybe people wouldn't be waiting so long for a doctor's appointment. The last time I needed an appointment, I had to wait a week for one.

This!

Thats hilarious. Last time I needed an appointment with my GP I was told I was unable to have appointment in the next 6 WEEKS!!!

Where I live, basically no one makes proper GP appointments anymore, its a waste of time. You just have to phone the surgery at 8:30am and hope to god you get in the queue before all the emergency appointments are taken (which is normally by about 8:45).

At least where I live I don't think even 24 hour opening would satisfy demand. There is just far too many people using a service that hasn't seen any significant expansion in at least the last decade, probably longer.
Original post by mojojojo101
Thats hilarious. Last time I needed an appointment with my GP I was told I was unable to have appointment in the next 6 WEEKS!!!

Where I live, basically no one makes proper GP appointments anymore, its a waste of time. You just have to phone the surgery at 8:30am and hope to god you get in the queue before all the emergency appointments are taken (which is normally by about 8:45).

At least where I live I don't think even 24 hour opening would satisfy demand. There is just far too many people using a service that hasn't seen any significant expansion in at least the last decade, probably longer.

It's hardly "hilarious" when you're in quite serious pain. I had to beg for an emergency appointment in May (I was told that being chronically dehydrated despite drinking 4 litres of water wasn't serious) and had to wait until the next day to be seen.
It's hardly "hilarious" when you're in quite serious pain. I had to beg for an emergency appointment in May (I was told that being chronically dehydrated despite drinking 4 litres of water wasn't serious) and had to wait until the next day to be seen.

Didn't mean to sound like I was making light of your situation, just that where I live you would have to be insanely lucky to get an appointment within a fortnight, let alone a week.
Reply 12
The vast majority of GP patients are the old, young and out of work due to ill health. There is actually very little demand for weekend appointments. A practice I worked at was open on a Saturday and usually there was unused appointments left over.

It's not just about having the doctors there, it's the lack of support staff, receptionists, practice managers, nurses, health care assistants, phlebotomist, hospital support with no routine radiology or pathology services available to GPs at weekends.

If people want a 7 day service (which evidently most don't) then that won't come free. I'm damn sure I won't be working extra hours for free. Who on earth would agree to that?! 30% more service will cost the country an extra 30%.
Reply 13
Original post by Killerpenguin15

"I understand you are having a heart attack sir, but you will have to pop back in on Monday as the GP surgery isn't available on Sundays"

Lol who goes to their GP when they're having a heart attack.

I agree they should be open 7 days a week though.
Original post by mojojojo101

In my area it's 1 whole month to wait for an appointment. Before about 5 years ago before the Tories I could just walk into a GP and been seen pretty much the same day.It's the same in every public sector place such as the council it takes absolute ages to sort stuff out because of the cuts.
Having worked at 111 and seeing the demand on out of hours services, I'd say yes.
My GP is brilliant. I have never waited more than 3 days for an appointment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is more needed is maybe a Saturday or weekend drop in and not at all surgeries.

Where I live now is a little awkward, its about 4-7 days to get an appointment which isnt that bad but I am in a health centre so only have like 2 doctors per practice and about 4 practices in 1 health centre so not much choice in appointments but the flaw also is the nurses work for the health centre not the doctors so its a seperate system meaning you couldnt get an appointment for over a week or more even to just take a blood sample or change a dressing (had an op on my back before and had to go days at a time without a dressing or have to go to hospital and wait for over a hour)

At my old one it was the phone at 8.30am system which was a nightmare as the lines were engaged constantly, nurse was easy to get hold of though and pre booked appointments were quite easy to get.

If anything it might make waiting times longer. They're making cuts while also extending the opening times. This potentially means the same amount of staff over a longer period of time.

There are services available at short notice however. Whenever I have an issue, I use the NHS helpline, which will normally get me an appointment with someone the same day (even when I rang in the middle of the night), or possibly the next day.

I think potentially effectively dividing services between Immediate services (as in A&E), short term issues (things that need to be solved within the week), and ongoing checkups and health maintenance (general check ups, health advice, etc.). But that's just something to consider.

But I don't think GPs as such need to be open 24/7. Although it is frustrating if you cant see a GP during the week (because you're working).
Original post by University of East Anglia
There's a new piece of research just come out from the Norwich Medical School about GP access and the government's proposed 7 day NHS.

Based on data from the 2014 General Practice Patient Survey our researchers have found 4 out 5 people are happy with the traditional GP opening times, and that a Saturday opening - not a Sunday opening - would meet the needs of those who are young or in work during the week.

Dr Ford from UEA also believes the pilots so far haven't shown sufficient demand for appointments on a Sunday: “Some weekend opening pilots have already begun to show that there is a lack of demand on Sundays, and our findings suggest that Sunday opening, in addition to Saturday, would be unlikely to improve access."

So what do you think - would you use a Sunday appointment or would Saturday appointments be sufficient? Would opening 7 days be worth the extra funding? We'd love to hear your thoughts.

So 20%, or 1 in 5 aren't happy about current gp opening times and want to see 7 day opening.

I'd love to be able to pop in and see the gp rather than having to take time off work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending