The Student Room Group

I am split between Judaism and Christianity

Scroll to see replies

baaaaack to OP's question, foreskin or nah?
Original post by interact
rubbish, you're spouting rubbish. judaism is for jews, just like hinduism is for hindus.

God only sent 3 missionary religions, christianity, islam and buddhism, if people wanna be religious, then they can only pick from those 3

yeah, yeah they can say that they've converted to judaism but they'll just be fake jews

Are you Jewish? Because I am, and have never heard this nonsense that you're spouting. If somebody converts to Judaism through the Orthodox process, they are Jewish, and regarded as so. My friend's mum converted to Judaism, and both her and my friend are considered entirely Jewish.
Original post by simbasdragon
Are you Jewish? Because I am, and have never heard this nonsense that you're spouting. If somebody converts to Judaism through the Orthodox process, they are Jewish, and regarded as so. My friend's mum converted to Judaism, and both her and my friend are considered entirely Jewish.

I agree.I have been thinking about this more and looked more in depth into both religions I think Judaism may be the religion I could convert to when I am older as I feel like Christianity accepts sin as natural and ok while Judaism believes anyone can be good if they want to.That is what i interpreted from what I've read anyway.
Original post by Anonymous1502
I agree.I have been thinking about this more and looked more in depth into both religions I think Judaism may be the religion I could convert to when I am older as I feel like Christianity accepts sin as natural and ok while Judaism believes anyone can be good if they want to.That is what i interpreted from what I've read anyway.

Christianity believes anyone can be good too if they wish but 'being good' is variable so therefore is it enough? One persons good is another persons bad or, not good enough.

I would ask you how do you decide who is good and who isn't? Where does the moral frame work come from, if it is from man then that isn't definitive.

How good do you have to be to be accepted into an eternity with God?
rubbish, you're spouting rubbish. judaism is for jews, just like hinduism is for hindus.

God only sent 3 missionary religions, christianity, islam and buddhism, if people wanna be religious, then they can only pick from those 3

yeah, yeah they can say that they've converted to judaism but they'll just be fake jews

Please don't say things like this since clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. In Judaism converts are welcome and extremely respected since they actually chose to be Jewish. It is true that Judaism is not missionary- Jews have never gone around trying to convince people to convert to Judaism, but that doesn't mean you can't convert.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous1502

Judaism doesn't believe in the orginal sin, all are born innocent. However, the conversion process lasts several years, and keeping Jewish laws and living a Jewish life is a big commitment, although many love it. I'd suggest exploring it a bit further.
Original post by Racoon
Christianity believes anyone can be good too if they wish but 'being good' is variable so therefore is it enough? One persons good is another persons bad or, not good enough.

I would ask you how do you decide who is good and who isn't? Where does the moral frame work come from, if it is from man then that isn't definitive.

How good do you have to be to be accepted into an eternity with God?

I think by being good they meant not sinning or at least not sinning between man and man- between man and God is different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simbasdragon
Judaism doesn't believe in the orginal sin, all are born innocent. However, the conversion process lasts several years, and keeping Jewish laws and living a Jewish life is a big commitment, although many love it. I'd suggest exploring it a bit further.

This is very true. It's a long, difficult process and can only be done by someone who is truly committed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foreverton
I think by being good they meant not sinning or at least not sinning between man and man- between man and God is different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its impossible not to sin. Even the best non sinning sinner sins:smile:
Original post by Racoon
Its impossible not to sin. Even the best non sinning sinner sins:smile:

Yeah obviously but there are those who make an active effort to you know keep it to a minimum and those who really don't care. Also I think it is impossible for laws between man and God but a lot easier between man and man. If you are a kind charitable etc person you are good no question about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah obviously but there are those who make an active effort to you know keep it to a minimum and those who really don't care. Also I think it is impossible for laws between man and God but a lot easier between man and man. If you are a kind charitable etc person you are good no question about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hear what you are saying.

Can I just ask you, do you believe God is spirit? How do you reach/communicate/know God if he is spirit?
Original post by Racoon
I hear what you are saying.

Can I just ask you, do you believe God is spirit? How do you reach/communicate/know God if he is spirit?

That is probably the most difficult and unanswerable question. No one really knows what God is. However you can always reach Him. When we communicate with God it is not with our mouths and ears, it's with our soul.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please don't say things like this since clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. In Judaism converts are welcome and extremely respected since they actually chose to be Jewish. It is true that Judaism is not missionary- Jews have never gone around trying to convince people to convert to Judaism, but that doesn't mean you can't convert.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wrong but if jews wanna pollute their own religion, i don't care :smile:

if people wanna convert to judaism, they're just not real jews but obviously if a wannabe jew has said to me that he's converted to judaism, ill say ok mate but in my mind ill just say fake jew
That is probably the most difficult and unanswerable question. No one really knows what God is. However you can always reach Him. When we communicate with God it is not with our mouths and ears, it's with our soul.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, it is a difficult question.

Where do you get the bit I emboldened from?
wrong but if jews wanna pollute their own religion, i don't care :smile:

if people wanna convert to judaism, they're just not real jews but obviously if a wannabe jew has said to me that he's converted to judaism, ill say ok mate but in my mind ill just say fake jew

Please don't be anti-Semitic either thanks. And I'm not suggesting this it's a fact of which I'm 100% sure of- non-Jews can convert to Judaism. In the amidah which is one of the most important prayers in Judaism, we pray for 'the righteous converts'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Racoon
I agree, it is a difficult question.

Where do you get the bit I emboldened from?

Well I think a clear example is how much silent prayer we have. This is because we don't need to sing out in order to communicate with God. Also there are many examples of God being incorporeal, therefore how can we use our mouths and ears? If God is a spiritual being, then our would must be the way to communicate with him. Again this is just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is pretty important - it's almost impossible to convert to Judaism. You have to go to a special centre for a number of years and learn Hebrew, change your name etc. It's actually more of a race than a religion - Jews aren't concerned with converting people and you are a Jew if your mother is. So if you do want to convert, make sure you really really really want to convert, it's a huge commitment. You can't just switch.
Well I think a clear example is how much silent prayer we have. This is because we don't need to sing out in order to communicate with God. Also there are many examples of God being incorporeal, therefore how can we use our mouths and ears? If God is a spiritual being, then our would must be the way to communicate with him. Again this is just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the Psalms (147) it says 'Sing out your thanks to the LORD; sing praises to our God with a harp...'

Exodus 15:20,21 And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a tambourine in her hand…

Isaiah 12:5 “Sing praises to the Lord, for he has done gloriously; let this be made known in all the earth

God delights in the praise of his people be it singing or playing instruments, he actually tells us to do it, the angels sing and there will be a lot of singing in heaven... :smile:
Reply 138
If you must follow a religion then Protestantism would probably be your best choice.
Please don't be anti-Semitic either thanks. And I'm not suggesting this it's a fact of which I'm 100% sure of- non-Jews can convert to Judaism. In the amidah which is one of the most important prayers in Judaism, we pray for 'the righteous converts'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending