The Student Room Group

AQA C3 What type of integration is this question asking for?

Hi, would anybody be able to tell me the integration topic or method to solve this question described by the mark scheme, as I didn't have a clue how to answer the question and need more practise.
The question is 8a from the AQA C3 January 2013 paper here:

And the mark scheme being

I usually just read the mark scheme and work it out but its using k for some reason as well as the exponential 1 just disappearing, if anyone can tell me the integration type this answer requires it will be greatly appreciated, thank you
Original post by Sayless

'Recognition'. You know that the differential of e^(kx) = ke^(kx) so you 'work backwards'.

Also, how can you write x^(1-a) as x^(...) * x^(...)? Then for e^(1-a) it will be the same logic.

Original post by Sayless
x
Reply 2
Original post by Sayless
x

As per SeanFM - you should recognise that f(x)ef(x)dx=ef(x)+c\displaystyle \int f'(x) e^{f(x)} \, \mathrm{d}x = e^{f(x)} + c
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
'Recognition'. You know that the differential of e^(kx) = ke^(kx) so you 'work backwards'.

Also, how can you write x^(1-a) as x^(...) * x^(...)? Then for e^(1-a) it will be the same logic.

yeah so i simplify it to:
integral of e x e^(-2x)
now what do i do I don't know how to approach this types of questions even after I simplify it to that,
I know how to do e^2x or 2e^4x differentiation and integration but I don't know when there are 2e's timesed together
Reply 4
Original post by Sayless
integral of e x e^(-2x)
now what do i do I don't know how to approach this types of questions even after I simplify it to that,
I know how to do e^2x or 2e^4x differentiation and integration but I don't know when there are 2e's timesed together

ee is just a number so you need only integrate e0ln2e2xdxe \int_0^{\ln 2} e^{-2x} \, \mathrm{d}x.
Standard Patterns
Original post by Sayless
integral of e x e^(-2x)

e is a constant and it does not depend on x.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
ee is just a number so you need only integrate e0ln2e2xdxe \int_0^{\ln 2} e^{-2x} \, \mathrm{d}x.

ah right, I thought that if I took e out of the integrand it would mean I would have to take e out of e^(-2x)
didn't think it worked that way but now it makes sense if its timsing, when I did it I did
integral of e/e^(2x)
which i couldnt make sense of
Reply 8
Original post by Sayless
ah right, I thought that if I took e out of the integrand it would mean I would have to take e out of e^(-2x)
didn't think it worked that way but now it makes sense if its timsing, when I did it I did
integral of e/e^(2x)
which i couldnt make sense of

Have you managed to solve the problem now?
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
Have you managed to solve the problem now?

I solved it but I had to keep e outside the integrand the whole time and the integral,

I don't know what is e*-1/2(e)^-2x

Quick Reply

Latest