The Student Room Group

'High quality' unis to increase tuition fees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hektik
I don't think the majority of the population will rally against the government so that a bunch of entitled young people fresh out of school can get a costly education, paid for by people who mostly didn't go to university, so these young people can study degrees that make them no more qualified to perform the jobs they ultimately go for.

Pay for it yourself, either with loaned money or go and make enough money to pay upfront.
You'd actually be surprised; Director's law often applies.
Original post by Skitee
My opinion:

Just to give some context with regards to what I believe in: Personally I would dramatically reduce the number of universities and transfer the focus on vocational training, making university only a place for those who are academic and intend on going into graduate jobs - and then make university free but also really hard to get into. (using an arbitary mark, probably in principle only for those with BBB+ at A level)

Interesting point of view. I agree about the fact that too much pressure is put on kids to go to university. It's okay not to!

Where I live (Switzerland), there's a sort of "academic sieve" from quite an early age. Basically when you're 15, you choose whether or not to go to "collège", (high school I guess), which is very academically rigorous (a little too much perhaps).The good thing is, leaving the more traditional school system to start working is not looked down upon, it's just seen as an alternative route.
All public unis are good, there's no significant differences in quality, except perhaps the 2 national polytechnic unis are more recognised internationally.
To get to uni all you have to do is pass your maturité (equivalent of A-Levels). So unis here aren't elitist. Anyone with passing grades can aspire to top-notch quality education. BUT staying in uni is the hard part. It's very hard to pass your first year of university, so that's where most people stumble.
To study here (as a Swiss citizen) you have to pay a very small about of money (I'm talking less than 500£ per year, with most undergrads being 3 years).

I can't say it's a perfect system, because it isn't. But in terms of elitism and expense, I think perhaps the UK system could learn a thing or two from the Swiss :P
Reply 62
Original post by serebro
I think raising the fees is justified. In fact, lowering the fees is probably unfair to the general population. Why should everybody have to pay so that only some can go to university? Funnily enough, it sounds very elitist that students get the right to free education at the expense of the working majority.

We ought to appreciate the efforts the university makes for students (libraries, staffing, campuses) and how valuable money really is. Instead of having 'free' higher education funded by the taxpayer, who on average is unlikely to actually go to university, we give them a break and put the money directly between the student and the university. The new loan system is well structured, despite having a misleading name. It's simply an investment system made by universities into graduates. The goal: They give you the materials to learn, you graduate, you do well in work, they get some return. It's the universities that run the risk of losing out on money, not the student. Ideally, it will make sure they take their teaching standards and facilities seriously and to select better applicants/staff.

Strong vibe that you're not in university yet. Probably haven't done A levels.
I think the number of EU students in UK universities will diminish after all these : 1)a possible Brexit ,2)increase of fees(we still don't know)
I applied to UK unis because the overall expenses per year was 25k euros but if 1 and 2 happen I will have to pay 55k euros!The four years of the course will cost 220k...of course if you have the talent you will have a place in UK education. Now I am in the middle of my application and I'm so confused about what to do.
Only in Conservative run Britain
Happy about this. Finally some recognition that some unis are very poor 'teaching' institutions and not all degrees are equal. You get what you pay for by going to a better uni and it will have a knock on effect in jobs etc.
Original post by Vesniep
I think the number of EU students in UK universities will diminish after all these : 1)a possible Brexit ,2)increase of fees(we still don't know)
I applied to UK unis because the overall expenses per year was 25k euros but if 1 and 2 happen I will have to pay 55k euros!The four years of the course will cost 220k...of course if you have the talent you will have a place in UK education. Now I am in the middle of my application and I'm so confused about what to do.

You could go to uni in your own country...
Original post by OU Student
You've already had 13 free years of education.

I want to frame this and put it on my bedroom wall.

People speak as if a degree is a human right. It isn't. You have had basic education, and a pretty decent education in the UK compared to some places. You want a degree, you get a loan and pay for it. Not keen on paying? Get a job instead then.
Original post by infairverona
You get what you pay for by going to a better uni

Define 'better'.
Original post by TabulaSmaragdina
There is no free university education, someone is paying for it. Only free education exists online, on sites like YT.

I mean free education as in students won't be paying directly themselves.
Original post by TurboCretin
Except that wouldn't make much sense, as not everyone has a mortgage and those who do make their repayments to a private sector bank or building society. Quite how that'd work out I don't know.

I'm not sure what case you'd launch in the 'European courts' either, whether ECtHR (which is not a court of the EU, incidentally) or the ECJ.

It's just an example - theoretically it could only be for those who have highish incomes or property and they could arrange the matter with banks easily enough. The point is that there is no guarentee the terms will be as favourable as they claim.

Aware the ECtHR is not linked directly to the EU, but I think you could actually have a case in either potentially.
Original post by OU Student
You've already had 13 free years of education.

And so what.
It shouldn't matter if I had it for like 13 years or more.

People are still suffering, not everyone can afford it.

You are so ignorant.:angry:
Original post by returnmigrant
Define 'better'.

Better standards of teaching. It really does vary between unis. A friend at work has a daughter doing law at Brighton - the amount of work she has compared to my degree is, I would say, about half, and they are not given problem questions to learn from each seminar. Just a list of reading. Her seminars and lectures are regularly cancelled and aren't rescheduled. Some of her assessment methods are going to be multiple choice - is this just so teachers have to do less marking? I don't think it's fair that she pays as much as I did for my degree. I would pay double what I paid for my degree. I know my teaching was strong and this has become very evident on my postgraduate degree. Had a seminar yesterday about essay writing and the inconsistency between unis is astounding. There were people asking IF we had to reference a quote??? As if that's even up for debate, it certainly never was at my university! Even my current MA uni, which is supposedly 'better' in the league tables than my undergraduate uni, has more lenient marking systems etc. Some of the essays we went through wouldn't have passed my undergrad marking system but they were getting merits on my MA.

We need to get rid of this 'red brick', 'old so therefore better', 'long standing reputation so must be good' view of universities. If a university is stronger on the teaching side it should be known to be better and students should pay for what they are getting. I believe there are many RG unis not up to scratch anymore and limping along on their reputations and I'm sure there are newer unis that are very good at the teaching side but still don't attract the best candidates because of the league tables when the main thing is are you being TAUGHT well
Original post by Blackstarr
And so what.
It shouldn't matter if I had it for like 13 years or more.

People are still suffering, not everyone can afford it.

You are so ignorant.:angry:

But everyone here has access to a student loan so they CAN afford it.

[e] I was the first in my family to go to uni. None of my family gave me a penny towards it. I got a loan and a maintenance loan, and a part time job. Now I'm funding my MA while working full time. Why do some people want everything for nothing????
Original post by infairverona
But everyone here has access to a student loan so they CAN afford it.

[e] I was the first in my family to go to uni. None of my family gave me a penny towards it. I got a loan and a maintenance loan, and a part time job. Now I'm funding my MA while working full time. Why do some people want everything for nothing????

No, not everyone has an access to a student loan, there are certain legal requirements that need to be fulfilled, so, lets say you were a refugee, you will not have qualified for the loan.

Also, some graduates won't be able to afford to pay it back.
^

I seriously don't understand how people can be sooo ignorant.
In Britain back in them days education(further and higher education) was for free and everything seemed to be alright, so, why can't it be the same now.
No, not everyone has an access to a student loan, there are certain legal requirements that need to be fulfilled, so, lets say you were a refugee, you will not have qualified for the loan.

Also, some graduates won't be able to afford to pay it back.

Ok, I assumed you meant nationals for some reason. You are right about refugees. But if you can't afford to pay it back you don't - for the new fees you don't make payments until you are earning 21k and if you dip below this again, your payments stop. For the previous fees it is 15k. My friend earns just on the threshold and she pays £1 a month on her loan. It scales up or down depending on your wage so if you can't afford it you don't pay anything back and after 30 years (when I last checked) it gets written off. So no excuses on that side.
In Britain back in them days education(further and higher education) was for free and everything seemed to be alright, so, why can't it be the same now.

Oh god you really have no clue
Those who want to study medicine, nursing or midwifery should not be paying tuition fees for uni because these people want to give back to their community and their country.

Its understandable why doctors and nurses go on strikes, they have a point that needs to be addressed properly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending