The Student Room Group

Senior Maths Challenge 2015 predicted thresholds and past thresholds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bruhh
lol what are you on about? I'd have much rather taken any other module than NM!

D1 is the easiest module, it's literally easier than C1.
NM is useless yeah, but incredibly basic. Most people have to do M1 and M2, where M1 is harder than both of them modules, let alone M2. I'm just saying, it's obviously not your fault haha but it's unfair clearly. Getting 90 in M2 is so much harder than getting 90 in D1 yet they're worth the same, seems a bit weird to me tbh. D1 is so easy I think they're scrapping it as a module aren't they?
Reply 141
Original post by ComputerMaths97
D1 is the easiest module, it's literally easier than C1.
NM is useless yeah, but incredibly basic. Most people have to do M1 and M2, where M1 is harder than both of them modules, let alone M2. I'm just saying, it's obviously not your fault haha but it's unfair clearly. Getting 90 in M2 is so much harder than getting 90 in D1 yet they're worth the same, seems a bit weird to me tbh. D1 is so easy I think they're scrapping it as a module aren't they?

M1 is not exactly hard in comparison? And why would I do M2 for AS when it's an A2 module?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PrimeLime
I feel quite insulted by that, implying I wouldn't have got such high marks without sitting D1. And everyone is set a few modules that they have to do - the pure ones.
If I got 100 in FP1 and 98 in S2 which is an A2 module, how can you say that I only got high UMS because I did an 'easy' module like D1?
Getting 100 in FP1, was way, WAY easier than getting 100 in D1, anyway.

I didn't say your high UMS isn't a huge achievement, I'm just saying that high UMS is much harder for a lot of people, that's all. FP1 was easy, S1 = S2 from what I can tell so far this year, and I've already explained my thoughts on D1 xD Everyone in my FM class last year got lower than an A in M2, yet some of them got over 90 in FP1 and M1. Seems a little weird to me. Yet D1, everyone in our year are getting As in every test. It's so basic. Just explaining that it's unfair xD
See how these two people get really high UMS because they did the easy modules like D1 and NM. So unfair lmao, should be set modules you have to do so schools can't get their students better UMS.

Every single thread I see you on you're whining about UMS and 'easier' modules. Well, newsflash, you yourself did an 'easy' set of modules (M2 being the only 'hard' unit and that wasn't your lowest) so you've not got much room to complain. Getting high marks in A-level maths is just about being careful in your working.
Original post by Bruhh
M1 is not exactly hard in comparison? And why would I do M2 for AS when it's an A2 module?

Posted from TSR Mobile

M1 isn't hard in comparison, you're right.
Oh I had to sit S2 for my AS FM even though it was an A2 module, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone sat M2 for AS.
Original post by physicsmaths
This isnt true at all. I didnt qualify for free in yr 13 but got 40/60 in bmo1 innyr 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the VAST majority of people who do badly in SMC would do very badly in BMO

But the rare case does well in BMO
I didn't say your high UMS isn't a huge achievement, I'm just saying that high UMS is much harder for a lot of people, that's all. FP1 was easy, S1 = S2 from what I can tell so far this year, and I've already explained my thoughts on D1 xD Everyone in my FM class last year got lower than an A in M2, yet some of them got over 90 in FP1 and M1. Seems a little weird to me. Yet D1, everyone in our year are getting As in every test. It's so basic. Just explaining that it's unfair xD

I've covered almost all of M2 this year and it's much easier than S2 in my opinion.
It might be a tiny bit unfair, but the difference in difficulty is not enough to properly complain about in my opinion.
Original post by marioman
Every single thread I see you on you're whining about UMS and 'easier' modules. Well, newsflash, you yourself did an 'easy' set of modules (M2 being the only 'hard' unit and that wasn't your lowest) so you've not got much room to complain. Getting high marks in A-level maths is just about being careful in your working.

Lmao love the exageration. I simply state it, didn't say I have it harder. I'm saying a lot of people have it harder. Don't see how my results have any bearing here, I don't have to get 100 in every module to simply be allowed an opinion. M2 was by far my lowest, but because everyone else in the country found it just as hard, the equating UMS ended up being similar to my others. M1 was a lot harder than D1, especially for anyone that's ever looked at a coding language for 5 minutes.

I agree with this, although a little harsh.
Yeah, high UMS is about being careful with working, but this year I have to say that you needed some mathematical ability to get 100s, since they're making you think a bit more with some of the questions.
My gosh you're good at maths. I'm also applying for Cambridge maths!
Do you know roughly how many Cambridge maths applicants are BMO2 qualifiers, early STEP-sitters etc.? Not sure if I'm gonna be able to compete with them...

Thanks haha. I don't actually know, but I would assume around 30% of BMO2 qualifiers end up applying for maths that year(doesn't include those who paid). Just keep working hard and do your best. As for early STEP-sitters, I would guess that around 80% apply for maths? That's just a ball-park estimate though.
I've covered almost all of M2 this year and it's much easier than S2 in my opinion.
It might be a tiny bit unfair, but the difference in difficulty is not enough to properly complain about in my opinion.

Really? Damn, M2 screwed us all over, and S2 is literally S1 with extra equations. Can't wait until D1 is no longer allowed xD Your UMS is still insane, considering it's much better than mine, I'm just saying that basically I reckon I would've done better if I didn't have to devote 50% of my revision to solely M2 xD
M2 was by far my lowest, but because everyone else in the country found it just as hard, the equating UMS ended up being similar to my others..

What on earth are you talking about? Your profile clearly states 90/100 for FP1 and 91/100 for M2. You might see it in a certain way but to everyone else, you did better in M2 than FP1.
Original post by Renzhi10122
Thanks haha. I don't actually know, but I would assume around 30% of BMO2 qualifiers end up applying for maths that year(doesn't include those who paid). Just keep working hard and do your best. As for early STEP-sitters, I would guess that around 80% apply for maths? That's just a ball-park estimate though.

:frown: It's gonna be so tough. I'm already quite confident with STEP I, but very worried about II and III, there's no way I can get two 1s with time pressure etc. I'm planning on doing STEP questions every single day from now until the exams in order to give myself a chance XD.
:frown: It's gonna be so tough. I'm already quite confident with STEP I, but very worried about II and III, there's no way I can get two 1s with time pressure etc. I'm planning on doing STEP questions every single day from now until the exams in order to give myself a chance XD.

And I would say that that's a very good plan (though give yourself a rest every once in a while :wink: ).
Really? Damn, M2 screwed us all over, and S2 is literally S1 with extra equations. Can't wait until D1 is no longer allowed xD Your UMS is still insane, considering it's much better than mine, I'm just saying that basically I reckon I would've done better if I didn't have to devote 50% of my revision to solely M2 xD

Well, if it's of any importance to you I (weirdly) did WJEC Maths and AQA Further Maths. Make of that what you will, I guess.
S2 was quite hard for me, but I think that's only because I was trying to understand all of the concepts much more deeply than what was required for the exam (and you really don't need to understand deeply what you're doing for chi-squared tests, etc.).
M2 is fairly challenging in some places and I love it XD It's made me like mechanics so much more. M1 is a bit of a joke haha.
What on earth are you talking about? Your profile clearly states 90/100 for FP1 and 91/100 for M2. You might see it in a certain way but to everyone else, you did better in M2 than FP1.

That's "clearly" UMS. Yet it equates to me having 60 ish marks in M2 and 67 ish marks in FP1 (crazy how losing a few marks is a whole 10 UMS difference). I know what you mean, but the UMS is only like that because of how others did, not how I did. And I know you know that so I'm a bit confused. I made 1 mistake in FP1, in M2 I had no clue how to answer a couple questions, and made a couple mistakes.
Well, if it's of any importance to you I (weirdly) did WJEC Maths and AQA Further Maths. Make of that what you will, I guess.
S2 was quite hard for me, but I think that's only because I was trying to understand all of the concepts much more deeply than what was required for the exam (and you really don't need to understand deeply what you're doing for chi-squared tests, etc.).
M2 is fairly challenging in some places and I love it XD It's made me like mechanics so much more. M1 is a bit of a joke haha.

Oh wait you're applying for Maths? Yeah most people applying for Maths tend to find Mechanics a lot easier than Statistics, must be because they're found more interesting. I found Mechanics so much more difficult than anything I'd ever sat before it.
Original post by SCalver
Are you basing your statement on fact or just plucking stuff out of thin air? Because from what I've personally seen, the scores stay pretty similar for the majority of candidates.

I did the smc last year in yr 11 and got 84, did it this year in year 12 and got 121

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tons of people do M2 in Yr 12. My school did it and few of us got 100. Btw my school only had 2 people get AAAA at AS so were a bad school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Tons of people do M2 in Yr 12. My school did it and few of us got 100. Btw my school only had 2 people get AAAA at AS so were a bad school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you trying to say? That you have more people in your year that like Mechanics? Lmao there's way more factors, but there's a reason the M2 grade boundaires are always so much lower than the S2 ones.

Quick Reply

Latest