The Student Room Group

Why are Muscular guys stereotyped as douchebags?

There is a stereotype that among younger guys or even ones in their 30s the sporty/"muscular" guys who bodybuild and hit the gym are more laddish and players, whereas the geekier guys are nicer to girls.

Do you think this is true? Why do people label muscular guys douchebags do you think?

I don't think so for example me and everyone I knows who work out are very nice, and we know a lot of geeks who are horrible to women

Scroll to see replies

Can you be muscular and nerdy at the same time?
Reply 2
Original post by Forumaddict
Can you be muscular and nerdy at the same time?

Well yes but I mean the kinds of guys who join rugby teams etc. Of course you always get some douchebags. For example the LSE rugby team making rape threats
At my college, the biggest douchebag is a scrawny geeky kid. The big macho guy is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. the wierdest thing is that the scrawny douchebag gets more attention from girls....
Do you ever see skinny guys taking selfies in the gym?
Reply 5
Original post by 12345qwgyj
At my college, the biggest douchebag is a scrawny geeky kid. The big macho guy is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. the wierdest thing is that the scrawny douchebag gets more attention from girls....

Girls prefer guys who are skinny geeks these days I think?

Use Err Name
Do you ever see skinny guys in the gym?

fixed

no
Original post by Anonymous
There is a stereotype that among younger guys or even ones in their 30s the sporty/"muscular" guys who bodybuild and hit the gym are more laddish and players, whereas the geekier guys are nicer to girls.

Do you think this is true? Why do people label muscular guys douchebags do you think?

I don't think so for example me and everyone I knows who work out are very nice, and we know a lot of geeks who are horrible to women

I would say that train of thought has more died out, and its more that the guys who are overly vain are seen as douchebags.

As in they just happen to work out, but in reality they often do minimal amounts of work out and take all those protein powders then do the minimal amount of work to have a six pack or what looks like one and act as if they are all bodybuilders.

I know guys who go to the gym every day, some are somewhat vain but none are the type that flaunt their bodies in minimal clothing just to get attention.
Muscles imply vanity, vanity implies narcissism, narcissism implies douchebag.

You do realise that people who focus on exercise have less time to learn and so are less intelligent, as a result they have more simpler brains than most people, while people who focus on revision dont exercise so are not that strong. As a result it is very rare for someone to be smart and muscular at the same time
Reply 9
Original post by Bupdeeboowah

Then why aren't well dressed geeks or hipsters labelled douche bags?

Guys I know who dress like this for instance

http://1-moda.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/wpid-Hipster-Fashion-Shoes-2014-2015-3.jpg

and post outfit of the day on instagram
Original post by ElectronDonor
You do realise that people who focus on exercise have less time to learn and so are less intelligent, as a result they have more simpler brains than most people, while people who focus on revision dont exercise so are not that strong. As a result it is very rare for someone to be smart and muscular at the same time

:rofl:

It's not either/or, you can study and revise.

People are labelled "geeks" due to having hobbies like playing WoW etc., not just studying. Else everyone in school would be a geek
Reply 11
Because we generally are.
Then why aren't well dressed geeks or hipsters labelled douche bags?

Guys I know who dress like this for instance

http://1-moda.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/wpid-Hipster-Fashion-Shoes-2014-2015-3.jpg

and post outfit of the day on instagram
They look like douchebags to me.
Listen, there's an overcrowding of douchebags in the bodybuilding community. For a very simple reason: people there train almost entirely for aesthetics. It's in the nature of the sport.

And to do away with the obvious: no most bodybuilders are not *******s but you'll find more *******s in the bbing community than any other sporting community. I guarantee that.

There is a kernel of truth to it but it's clearly not true for most athletes (also, not all muscular guys are bbers. I'm only talking about bbers here not powerlifters or other muscular athletes)
Because 9 times out of 10 they are. They think they are gods gift to the world when they are not.
Original post by drbluebox
I would say that train of thought has more died out, and its more that the guys who are overly vain are seen as douchebags.

As in they just happen to work out, but in reality they often do minimal amounts of work out and take all those protein powders then do the minimal amount of work to have a six pack or what looks like one and act as if they are all bodybuilders.

I know guys who go to the gym every day, some are somewhat vain but none are the type that flaunt their bodies in minimal clothing just to get attention.

You can focus on aesthetics but there's no "minimal amount" that is a shortcut to a 6 pack of something, some guys are vain but you have to work hard to look that good

Flaunt their bodies in minimal clothing? Not unless they're gay :innocent:
Original post by Bupdeeboowah

Basically this. It's the reason why I don't find overly muscular men attractive. :/ Give me a lean, and only slightly muscular body.
Original post by PetitBourgeois
Listen, there's an overcrowding of douchebags in the bodybuilding community. For a very simple reason: people there train almost entirely for aesthetics. It's in the nature of the sport.

And to do away with the obvious: no most bodybuilders are not *******s but you'll find more *******s in the bbing community than any other sporting community. I guarantee that.

There is a kernel of truth to it but it's clearly not true for most athletes (also, not all muscular guys are bbers. I'm only talking about bbers here not powerlifters or other muscular athletes)

Are you a bodybuilder out of interest?

Which other sporting communities have you been a part of?
Original post by drowzee
Basically this. It's the reason why I don't find overly muscular men attractive. :/ Give me a lean, and only slightly muscular body.

But a "lean" guy can be just as vain if he has worked to look lean (I know cyclist guys who exercise more than I do and are very lean, and train for aesthetics).

Or what about a guy who dresses well? etc..
I think it's a phenomenon that has developed out of social media and the internet.

Most guys who train properly at the gym are good guys because any kind of activity like that which trains discipline and sacrifice builds character. You tend to find that they aren't guys who are out drinking all the time, they are usually humble and there's a good community spirit with guys helping each other out with routines and advice and stuff.

However there are some guys who work out who are loud, obnoxious and vain and the problem is these have a high profile on the internet they will be all over social media with topless selfies in the mirror showing off their generic tattoos, they go on bodybuilding.com and try to sound cool and fit in with all the brah lingo. They are also very active on dating sites and unfortunately part of the negative stereotype with women is that most women who have used dating sites have received messages from these kind of guy with their topless selfies, usually written in some kind of illiterate form like "hey baby, u ok lol? u wanna chat? wat u up2 lol". So girls go round saying guys that go to the gym are idiots etc.

The other guys who are serious trainers and decent guys aren't really high profile on the internet as they don't do that sort of stuff as much they just go about their normal lives and jobs without needing to put topless selfies everywhere. Probably most of them have wives or girlfriends anyway so they aren't on the dating sites either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending