The Student Room Group

Why are Muscular guys stereotyped as douchebags?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saeed97
Because we generally are.

can I see them shredded abs man?
Reply 21
Original post by Ahmed766
can I see them shredded abs man?

It hurt a lot but apparently having shredded abdomen is the new trend.

Spoiler

Original post by saeed97
x

My mum uses my abs as a chopping board when she doesn't have space in the kitchen to do the chopping :ahee:
Original post by Anonymous
But a "lean" guy can be just as vain if he has worked to look lean (I know cyclist guys who exercise more than I do and are very lean, and train for aesthetics).

Or what about a guy who dresses well? etc..

By lean, I mean not very big and by slightly muscular, I mean just toned. So they work out, eat right but not always in the gym.

Well dress sense is very important to me, it just means they look after the way they look. Idk, perhaps it's just irrational? Guys with very good bodies like Chris Evans or Henry Cavill have to train very hard and eat right all the time, which is different to dressing well imo. It's just something I really don't value and from my experience, guys like that tend to be arrogant and macho (which I dislike). That's just my perception and I'd ofc look over it if I am proven wrong.
Reply 24
Original post by Ahmed766
My mum uses my abs as a chopping board when she doesn't have space in the kitchen to do the chopping :ahee:

So i guess you been making ALLLLLLL KINNNNDDDZZZ OOOFFF GAINZZZZZZZZ
Reply 25
You can't truly optimize yourself as a person without optimizing your body as well as your mind. I dislike 'gym culture', but I also envy the 'douchebags' who have the self-discipline to get up every day and go through the physical pain of lifting in order to improve themselves.

For most people, there is no excuse for not being both at least a little intellectually and physically capable.
Then why aren't well dressed geeks or hipsters labelled douche bags?

Guys I know who dress like this for instance

http://1-moda.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/wpid-Hipster-Fashion-Shoes-2014-2015-3.jpg

and post outfit of the day on instagram

They are. Most people I'd ask would say he looks like a attention seeking ****.
Vanity and ego.
because people are stereotypical douchebags
Original post by drowzee
By lean, I mean not very big and by slightly muscular, I mean just toned. So they work out, eat right but not always in the gym.

Well dress sense is very important to me, it just means they look after the way they look. Idk, perhaps it's just irrational? Guys with very good bodies like Chris Evans or Henry Cavill have to train very hard and eat right all the time, which is different to dressing well imo. It's just something I really don't value and from my experience, guys like that tend to be arrogant and macho (which I dislike). That's just my perception and I'd ofc look over it if I am proven wrong.

Yeah. Guys like me. I'm the machoist mother****er around these forums with my macho-ceps.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Yeah. Guys like me. I'm the machoist mother****er around these forums with my macho-ceps.

Nah, you're cool. You're an exception. :biggrin:
You can focus on aesthetics but there's no "minimal amount" that is a shortcut to a 6 pack of something, some guys are vain but you have to work hard to look that good

Flaunt their bodies in minimal clothing? Not unless they're gay :innocent:

When I say six pack I dont mean the stereotypical body builder type but the more mainstream ones that looks like just flat bodies with lumps on their stomach where a six pack would be and not noticable very much, sort of like the guys on Hollyoaks have or that you cant make out the lines where muscles would be.

Work hard could still be the minimal amount needed every day to reach it, then barely enough to maintain it since its just for looks, a real bodybuilder would maintain it.

I used to use weights every day when bored, not full on weight training but just a few hours a day using normal weights sitting on chair whilst watching a movie, not a huge effort just time consuming.
Original post by saeed97
So i guess you been making ALLLLLLL KINNNNDDDZZZ OOOFFF GAINZZZZZZZZ

Attachment not found

alllll kindsa GAINZZ
Original post by drowzee
Nah, you're cool. You're an exception. :biggrin:

I think tbh, the difference for me now is that my working out has a goal other than for people to 'mire me. (OK I'll stop with the stupid bro-talk, it pisses me off and I hate that bodybuilding, gym-bro culture, it's retarded). The goal for me is to get stronger to help me with both my career and my favourite hobby - policing and MMA respectively. The fact that it makes me healthy AND look better are just bonuses, bonuses that keep me motivated to do better at my favourite hobby and my future career in the long term and short term respectively. I won't lie and pretend I don't look at my body in the mirror to check if my thighs are looking too fat (read, not muscular); if my clavicle is becoming a bit hidden; if my deltoids are sinking into the rest of my arm; if my glutes appear to have been absorbed by my anus... But that's only a means to motivate myself in the short-term to achieve goals that in the long term I know will lead to more happiness. It is not an end in itself and I would not be satisfied I think if it was meant to be.

Still, in the past I was very insecure about my looks and I still am to an extent. I started weightlifting before I had decided I wanted to join the po-po and before I started doing MMA. Although tbh, I was powerlifting then and not bodybuilding AND I did have juvenile athritis, which the weightlifting, along with a better diet has completely nullified. Plus in college I got fat and didn't like that as frankly it is unhealthy. *shrugs* Maybe I never have worked out primarily for aesthetics. I don't think I have tbh. To maybe that explains the difference. I'm not someone who works out for aesthetics.

P.S I'm enjoing a juicy mcdonalds now, specifically a malteser mcflurry. Yuuum.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TorpidPhil
I think tbh, the difference for me now is that my working out has a goal other than for people to 'mire me. (OK I'll stop with the stupid bro-talk, it pisses me off and I hate that bodybuilding, gym-bro culture, it's retarded). The goal for me is to get stronger to help me with both my career and my favourite hobby - policing and MMA respectively. The fact that it makes me healthy AND look better are just bonuses, bonuses that keep me motivated to do better at my favourite hobby and my future career in the long term and short term respectively. I won't lie and pretend I don't look at my body in the mirror to check if my thighs are looking too fat (read, not muscular); if my clavicle is becoming a bit hidden; if my deltoids are sinking into the rest of my arm; if my glutes appear to have been absorbed by my anus... But that's only a means to motivate myself in the short-term to achieve goals that in the long term I know will lead to more happiness. It is not an end in itself and I would not be satisfied I think if it was meant to be.

Still, in the past I was very insecure about my looks and I still am to an extent. I started weightlifting before I had decided I wanted to join the po-po and before I started doing MMA. Although tbh, I was powerlifting then and not bodybuilding AND I did have juvenile athritis, which the weightlifting, along with a better diet has completely nullified. Plus in college I got fat and didn't like that as frankly it is unhealthy. *shrugs* Maybe I never have worked out primarily for aesthetics. I don't think I have tbh. To maybe that explains the difference. I'm not someone who works out for aesthetics.

P.S I'm enjoing a juicy mcdonalds now, specifically a malteser mcflurry. Yuuum.

If it makes you feel better and you're doing it for your career, then I have no objections and I admire you for your motivation. :smile: It's just the whole bodybuliding and gym-bro culture which is extremely off putting to me, as you have said. I admire people that say fit and go to the gym (as I regularly go too), it's just when people are too excessive, it can be off putting.

I saw a picture of you on the 'post a picture of yourself' thread :ninja:, you have nothing to be insecure about, nothing at all. :smile: I know how you feel about being fat, I was a chubby kid and that changed. See in your instance it's fine to me, but when it's all for vanity it just off putting, especially considering the extremes some guys go to.

I want a mcflurry :frown: It's okay, I had a slice of chocolate cake. :biggrin:
Original post by Forumaddict
Can you be muscular and nerdy at the same time?

Me for sure.
Im not a nerd but do have nerdy qualities for sure.
I also love working out!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Muscles imply vanity, vanity implies narcissism, narcissism implies douchebag.

Spoiler

There is a stereotype that among younger guys or even ones in their 30s the sporty/"muscular" guys who bodybuild and hit the gym are more laddish and players, whereas the geekier guys are nicer to girls.

Do you think this is true? Why do people label muscular guys douchebags do you think?

I don't think so for example me and everyone I knows who work out are very nice, and we know a lot of geeks who are horrible to women

I definitely feel that there is a stereotype that muscular guys are duchebags, but sadly I go to an all boys school so idk about how nice they are. But I go to the gym around twice a week but personally if I meet a stranger, I wouldn't be a dick to them.
Original post by drowzee
If it makes you feel better and you're doing it for your career, then I have no objections and I admire you for your motivation. :smile: It's just the whole bodybuliding and gym-bro culture which is extremely off putting to me, as you have said. I admire people that say fit and go to the gym (as I regularly go too), it's just when people are too excessive, it can be off putting.

I saw a picture of you on the 'post a picture of yourself' thread :ninja:, you have nothing to be insecure about, nothing at all. :smile: I know how you feel about being fat, I was a chubby kid and that changed. See in your instance it's fine to me, but when it's all for vanity it just off putting, especially considering the extremes some guys go to.

I want a mcflurry :frown: It's okay, I had a slice of chocolate cake. :biggrin:

It seems we're in mutual agreement then that what is obnoxious is not people who spend a lot of time working out per say, but instead people who subscribe to bro-culture as an end in itself.

:smile:

These Malteser ones are great though. They have the best tasting caramel in them... Very serendipitous as this is the first time I've ate one of this flavour.
Original post by nverjvlev
because people are stereotypical douchebags

you look like someone I used to know

are you of eastern european origin?

Quick Reply