The Student Room Group

Does anybody do Primary Education at Reading or Brighton?-interview help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daniela427
You'll be ok. Just make sure to mention Nicky Morgan and the new proposed testing for 7 year olds!!

Thank you, I will! :smile:
Original post by harrynyazai
Might see you there then. Got an interview for primary education on the 18th at Chichester :smile:

Ah thats great! Is yours the morning or afternoon? :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by carly148
This made me feel so much better about the interview days- Worcester is my favourite too, but i have two interviews before that one.
Im kind of worried about the cost of going to all of these interviews! Did you have to do an oral presentation and if so, did it go well?

Yeah it takes a lot of time and money, that's why im not going to all of them. Worcester asked for a 2/3 presentation on a learning experience you had with children. Mine went really well, I spoke about how I taught a group long multiplication, using different resources. For my group it was so informal, we gave it just sitting around a table it was really casual.There was also a student interviewing us as well as a tutor which i really loved, they put me at my ease and were so friendly. For the presentation, although it is quite casual, make sure you sit up straight, speak clearly, and make eye contact with mainly the interviewer but also the student and the other candidates, also don't just read it! I know that all seems quite obvious, but one of the other girls in my group slouched over the desk leaning on her elbows, spoke really badly and made no eye contact at all, which you could tell the interviewers didnt like at all!

Another little tip that they said they liked about my presentation in my interview was that I suggested what i could have done to make my teaching better in that instant. The brief didn't ask for that but it shows you can be reflective and give yourself constructive criticism, which you need as a teacher.

Good luck! Worcester is such a lovely uni, I hope you get a place :smile:
Ah thats great! Is yours the morning or afternoon? :smile:

Morning. How about you? :smile:
Original post by skibumm
Yeah it takes a lot of time and money, that's why im not going to all of them. Worcester asked for a 2/3 presentation on a learning experience you had with children. Mine went really well, I spoke about how I taught a group long multiplication, using different resources. For my group it was so informal, we gave it just sitting around a table it was really casual.There was also a student interviewing us as well as a tutor which i really loved, they put me at my ease and were so friendly. For the presentation, although it is quite casual, make sure you sit up straight, speak clearly, and make eye contact with mainly the interviewer but also the student and the other candidates, also don't just read it! I know that all seems quite obvious, but one of the other girls in my group slouched over the desk leaning on her elbows, spoke really badly and made no eye contact at all, which you could tell the interviewers didn't like at all!

Another little tip that they said they liked about my presentation in my interview was that I suggested what i could have done to make my teaching better in that instant. The brief didn't ask for that but it shows you can be reflective and give yourself constructive criticism, which you need as a teacher.

Good luck! Worcester is such a lovely uni, I hope you get a place :smile:

I'm not going to all either- everywhere i applied is at least 6+ hours travelling! I'm going to do mine on my work experience with class 2s helping to teach them numeracy, and I'm not as nervous now you said it is with a small, informal group.
I really like it there, and i hope i get a place too! Thank you :smile:
Original post by harrynyazai
Morning. How about you? :smile:

Afternoon. Good luck with your interview though! :smile:
Reply 26
I'm not going to all either- everywhere i applied is at least 6+ hours travelling! I'm going to do mine on my work experience with class 2s helping to teach them numeracy, and I'm not as nervous now you said it is with a small, informal group.
I really like it there, and i hope i get a place too! Thank you :smile:

Are you able to not go to some interviews?
Original post by Goodzzz
Are you able to not go to some interviews?

I've got 3/5 interviews so far and I can't really afford to go to all of them, especially if i get any more, so i might have to decline one but I haven't decided definitely yet!
Reply 28
I've got 3/5 interviews so far and I can't really afford to go to all of them, especially if i get any more, so i might have to decline one but I haven't decided definitely yet!

I have had 5/5 interviews but feel going to all of them will be a bit too much, as they are all over 2 1/2 hours away.
Original post by Goodzzz
I have had 5/5 interviews but feel going to all of them will be a bit too much, as they are all over 2 1/2 hours away.

Yep, i think so too! what universities did you apply to? :smile:
Reply 30
Yep, i think so too! what universities did you apply to? :smile:

UWE, Oxford Brookes, Chester, Gloucester and Newman :smile: You?
Original post by Goodzzz
UWE, Oxford Brookes, Chester, Gloucester and Newman :smile: You?

Worcester, Brighton, Kingston, Chichester and Marjohns :smile:
Reply 32
Worcester, Brighton, Kingston, Chichester and Marjohns :smile:

Do we complete the professional skills tests on the day or is it just a basic maths and literacy questions?
Remember schools do look at certain providers very favourably - Brookes and Winchester have a good reputations in the Primary sector.

Make sure you have some thoughts about assessment without levels, know a bit about the new NC, new EY profile and new KS1 and KS2 assessments.

Do live in hall as they often organise transport for teaching practice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, I've applied for teaching too! - Oxford Brookes, Roehampton and Winchester :smile:
I had my interview for Winchester on Wednesday and didn't have the best interviewer but it gave me a good idea as to what the interviews are like!! Got roehampton next Wednesday and Oxford Brookes on the 3rd December too!!! So nervous for Brookes as its my favourite

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goodzzz
Do we complete the professional skills tests on the day or is it just a basic maths and literacy questions?

the professional skills tests are separate, you have to book them (there's two, literacy and numeracy) and i think Universities prefer if you have either passed them or booked them by your interview :smile:
Original post by Idcatgirl
Hey, I've applied for teaching too! - Oxford Brookes, Roehampton and Winchester :smile:
I had my interview for Winchester on Wednesday and didn't have the best interviewer but it gave me a good idea as to what the interviews are like!! Got roehampton next Wednesday and Oxford Brookes on the 3rd December too!!! So nervous for Brookes as its my favourite

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! It's good Brookes is last then so you can have the first two as practice :smile:
Afternoon. Good luck with your interview though! :smile:

Actually think I'm Afternoon. Ugh, idk. They want me there by 12:15
For the people who have offers from Bookes, when did you send off your UCAS? Getting worried now 😂
Reply 39
the professional skills tests are separate, you have to book them (there's two, literacy and numeracy) and i think Universities prefer if you have either passed them or booked them by your interview :smile:

Okay, thank you! I will book my professional skills tests soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest