The Student Room Group

Senior Maths Challenge 2015 predicted thresholds and past thresholds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
2006 step I was my first paper and probably my most successful weirdly. It did take me like two weeks. Yh I sat step this year but will be resitting step III.(II and III if i need to if i get a cambridge offer).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?? I have just started it and looks pretty hard (although haven't attempted any other questions yet). The only papers I've done so far are 2007-2009 and they were all pretty nice :smile:.
What did you get in your STEPs last year then? And how did you manage to sit STEP III a year early, since I doubt you would've known all the A2 Further Maths required in Year 12?
Original post by PrimeLime
Really?? I have just started it and looks pretty hard (although haven't attempted any other questions yet). The only papers I've done so far are 2007-2009 and they were all pretty nice :smile:.
What did you get in your STEPs last year then? And how did you manage to sit STEP III a year early, since I doubt you would've known all the A2 Further Maths required in Year 12?

I sat it in Yr 13. I am now on a gap year after missing my cambridge offer for maths. I got 1,1,3 respectively. In I 2006 i got full solutions to all the pure and mechanics(bar Q11). So it was a nice paper for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I sat it in Yr 13. I am now on a gap year after missing my cambridge offer for maths. I got 1,1,3 respectively. In I 2006 i got full solutions to all the pure and mechanics(bar Q11). So it was a nice paper for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh nice. Is STEP III that much harder than the other II or was it the specific paper you sat?
Have you got another offer from Cambridge already or are you currently applying again?
I did mine today, i only did 12 questions lol
Original post by PrimeLime
Oh nice. Is STEP III that much harder than the other II or was it the specific paper you sat?
Have you got another offer from Cambridge already or are you currently applying again?

Na this year Step II was harder then STEP III. But in general they are same difficulty. I just messed up first solution as i cudnt do the last part and just panicked so it just went downhill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GCSEstudentt
I did mine today, i only did 12 questions lol

You only did yours today?! Wtf the solutions were up though?
Original post by Renzhi10122
I must say, I've only read the inequalities one from UKMT, and that was for my personal statement, so I can't give much advice there.

What did you read for BMO1/2 then? Or nothing?
Original post by SCalver
What did you read for BMO1/2 then? Or nothing?

Just used google tbh, and my friend's knowledge if I needed help.
Just used google tbh, and my friend's knowledge if I needed help.

Is he in contention for imo aswell?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is he in contention for imo aswell?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, if he tried, yes. But he's applying for econ, so probably not :tongue: But he knows things that I don't and I know things that he doesn't, so it's really quite good when we work together on something.
Do you think you could help me with some proof for a past bmo1 q?
Hmm, if he tried, yes. But he's applying for econ, so probably not :tongue: But he knows things that I don't and I know things that he doesn't, so it's really quite good when we work together on something.

Econ, that is shameful with that talent haha lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theworkkid
Do you think you could help me with some proof for a past bmo1 q?

Probably yes if you were talking to me.
Econ, that is shameful with that talent haha lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ikr, but then again, he's amazing at econ too... but I'm not complaining lol, it's less competition.
Reply 194
Sooo, what's the wager I'll be short of gold with 80?..... Stupid errors:s-smilie:
Original post by IMZL
Sooo, what's the wager I'll be short of gold with 80?..... Stupid errors:s-smilie:

80 seems to be like the most common score on TSR so we all know 81 will be Gold xD
Reply 196
Original post by ComputerMaths97
80 seems to be like the most common score on TSR so we all know 81 will be Gold xD

Don't even say that man... just don't
:cry2:
Original post by ajaxkiller
rahhh if ur getting a gold in year 12 thats maddd uno

plus u have next year anyways. people always do way better in the second year because they improve on their math foundations. if ur getting a gold this year i think you might have a solid chance for bmo next year

I completely agree as i got gold in year 12 and got BMO this year. Actually i could get BMO easily last year if it wasn't after 3 long mocks...
Original post by Bruhh
I got an offer for maths too :smile: They likely care about your AS UMS more than any maths challenge related things, (thankfully mine was high) but having it on there is always an added bonus.

I applied to Mathematics and Physics degree at UCL, but haven't yet got even an invitation to an interview. My AS maths and FM grades were really high. I applied on 14th of October, so why it is taking so long? Also, have you got offer without an interview?
Congrats on the offer BTW
Original post by Ramil Ahmadov
I applied to Mathematics and Physics degree at UCL, but haven't yet got even an invitation to an interview. My AS maths and FM grades were really high. I applied on 14th of October, so why it is taking so long? Also, have you got offer without an interview?
Congrats on the offer BTW

Ucl dont do interviews for maths most of the time. I applied last year with around 96-97UMS in maths FM and i got an offer end of october(applied 13th oct). But that was last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest