The Student Room Group

Feel humiliated, cried twice in front of 2 different teachers today.

So I'm in year 13, doing 4 a levels on top of an EPQ, a job, volunteering and preparing for an Oxford interview. The writing of the essay which I need to send off for Oxford has made me extremely stressed as it is written so badly and I don't have time to improve it.

I cried all of last night from stress, and resolved to go and speak to my form tutor today. However, I could barely say anything to him as I just burst into tears, and was sat there all snotty and gross. He reassured me and I was okay, but then later when another teacher was going over my Oxford written work and saying it made no sense, I burst into tears again and she just left awkwardly.

I feel so embarassed, the second teacher emailed me and said that she can no longer help me. Has anyone else cried in front of teachers in sixth form?
Original post by simbasdragon
So I'm in year 13, doing 4 a levels on top of an EPQ, a job, volunteering and preparing for an Oxford interview. The writing of the essay which I need to send off for Oxford has made me extremely stressed as it is written so badly and I don't have time to improve it.

I cried all of last night from stress, and resolved to go and speak to my form tutor today. However, I could barely say anything to him as I just burst into tears, and was sat there all snotty and gross. He reassured me and I was okay, but then later when another teacher was going over my Oxford written work and saying it made no sense, I burst into tears again and she just left awkwardly.

I feel so embarassed, the second teacher emailed me and said that she can no longer help me. Has anyone else cried in front of teachers in sixth form?

awwww i dont even know what to say how long unill you need to send of the piece of writing?? and dont worry i cried in front of all my teachers on GCSE day
Original post by candycaneland500
awwww i dont even know what to say how long unill you need to send of the piece of writing?? and dont worry i cried in front of all my teachers on GCSE day

Thanks for being so kind <3. It needs to have reached Oxford by Tuesday at the latest, but because I was pressures to write it in one evening, its an incoherent shambles. Aww, results day? I hope they were happy tears?
Reply 3

Loads do, I wouldn't worry about it.

You do have a lot on your plate, the EPQ takes up tones of time let alone the other stuff going on. Its a shame that teacher has backed away. Is there another teacher you can trust to help you, even the Head sometimes likes to get involved and help out with the oxbridge stuff.

It will all get done, most people (who are going places:smile:) are under pressure at this time of year in year 13. Keep calm, keep breathing, find someone you can get to help you.

Do you have any pastoral care at school, sometimes it helps to go and have a cry there.:smile:
Thanks for being so kind <3. It needs to have reached Oxford by Tuesday at the latest, but because I was pressures to write it in one evening, its an incoherent shambles. Aww, results day? I hope they were happy tears?

yeah they were and what do u have to write about ill help you since im free all weekend x

or is it too late?
Original post by Racoon
Loads do, I wouldn't worry about it.

You do have a lot on your plate, the EPQ takes up tones of time let alone the other stuff going on. Its a shame that teacher has backed away. Is there another teacher you can trust to help you, even the Head sometimes likes to get involved and help out with the oxbridge stuff.

It will all get done, most people (who are going places:smile:) are under pressure at this time of year in year 13. Keep calm, keep breathing, find someone you can get to help you.

Do you have any pastoral care at school, sometimes it helps to go and have a cry there.:smile:

The teacher backed away because my essay is so incoherent that she can't do anything really to help. I just haven't had time to sort it out but have to do that first before anyone can help.

I can only think of the councellor, but that seems a bit drastic at this stage.
Thanks so much for your kind words.
Reply 7
The teacher backed away because my essay is so incoherent that she can't do anything really to help. I just haven't had time to sort it out but have to do that first before anyone can help.

I can only think of the councellor, but that seems a bit drastic at this stage.
Thanks so much for your kind words.

Awww thats ok, just remember you are not alone and people around you do want to support you and want you to do well. :smile:
Original post by candycaneland500
yeah they were and what do u have to write about ill help you since im free all weekend x

Aww, it's really only something that I can do myself, but that's a very sweet offer.
Aww, it's really only something that I can do myself, but that's a very sweet offer.

well if ya need help ill try my best to help xx

The beginning of this year I cried in front of my english lit teacher during our 1to1 meeting (the meeting happened in front of the whole class as well btw!!) She wanted me to resit but I find exams really difficult to deal with and so I'd rather not resit. Basicially, the whole situation was really overwhelming (I'm quite an anxious person so some people would have found the whole thing alright)

I've lost count of how many of my students have cried in front of me over the last quarter century. It's part of the job. They won't be thinking anything other than feeling sorry that you are distressed.

My best tip for improving an essay is to read it out loud to yourself. Seriously. Listen to how it sounds. If it is hard to read out loud, then it isn't flowing well and the sentence needs to be restructured. If there is someone like a parent who can listen to it as well, that is good, too, but don't let them read it themselves. It doesn't matter if they know anything about the subject or not - in fact it's often better if they don't. If they don't understand what you mean, you need to work on that bit.
I may not be of much help but I'm happy to proof read and make any small changes? I don't work at Oxford but I've got a lot of experience working in schools and marking.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I've lost count of how many of my students have cried in front of me over the last quarter century. It's part of the job. They won't be thinking anything other than feeling sorry that you are distressed.

My best tip for improving an essay is to read it out loud to yourself. Seriously. Listen to how it sounds. If it is hard to read out loud, then it isn't flowing well and the sentence needs to be restructured. If there is someone like a parent who can listen to it as well, that is good, too, but don't let them read it themselves. It doesn't matter if they know anything about the subject or not - in fact it's often better if they don't. If they don't understand what you mean, you need to work on that bit.

That's such a relief, it just felt like my second teacher thought I was overreacting and thinks I'm thick as I'm applying to do English and can't even write coherently. I have been reading it aloud now and it is helping, thanks!
Original post by victorialep
I may not be of much help but I'm happy to proof read and make any small changes? I don't work at Oxford but I've got a lot of experience working in schools and marking.

I've got so many changes to make before it is even remotely understandable, but I suppose that's what you get when you have to write it all in the early hours of the morning. Thanks for the offer though :smile:

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this x I cried in front of my Maths teacher the first time I did AS. She was luckily very understanding though. I also have a feeling that if my Psychology teacher asks how Psychology is going I may end up crying then.

I'm not applying to Oxbridge but I'm still here is you need support x Just take the night off and don't focus on your application, get plenty of sleep and view it with a fresh perspective in the morning xx
That's such a relief, it just felt like my second teacher thought I was overreacting and thinks I'm thick as I'm applying to do English and can't even write coherently. I have been reading it aloud now and it is helping, thanks!

Not a problem. I teach English and it's always been my advice. Listen to the cadences and make it sound fluent, and it'll read fluently. (And most of the staff I know keep boxes of tissues in the desk.)
Ah don't worry about crying in front of your teachers. I feel like I'm friends with mine :lol:. Just take a breather and look over your essay with a clear head so you can see where you can improve quicker and also be able to bring new ideas too.

Quick Reply

Latest