The Student Room Group

can I do the full reformed a level for bio and chemistry next year?

So AS plus A2
Original post by Montypower
So AS plus A2

The first full A level exams under the reformed specifications for biology and chemistry will be set in summer 2017. With the reformed specifications you wouldn't take AS and A2 exams in the same year you'd just take the full A level exams and not the AS. Only the AS exams will available in summer 2016.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
So AS plus A2

No. You can only do AS this year.
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
No. You can only do AS this year.

To make things clear. I'm 17 years old. I will be 18 next academic year, is it possible to take the biology a level ( new syllabus) within a year.
i'm currently taking AS Maths and AS psychology and I will do them for A2 next year. Just wanted to know so that I don't waste my year next year.

By august 2017, I'd ideally want to have a Full alevel in Maths, Biology and Psychology. Forget chemistry.

make sense?
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
The first full A level exams under the reformed specifications for biology and chemistry will be set in summer 2017. With the reformed specifications you wouldn't take AS and A2 exams in the same year you'd just take the full A level exams and not the AS. Only the AS exams will available in summer 2016.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But is it possible to take the full a level for biology (new specification) in one year? beginning in 2016 september?
i've already studied the old syllabus for AS biology but I can't take it this year unless I do both AS and A2 and that will cost me a lot of time and money.

Please ask me anything if it doesnt make sense.
thanks!
Reply 5
To make things clear. I'm 17 years old. I will be 18 next academic year, is it possible to take the biology a level ( new syllabus) within a year.
i'm currently taking AS Maths and AS psychology and I will do them for A2 next year. Just wanted to know so that I don't waste my year next year.

By august 2017, I'd ideally want to have a Full alevel in Maths, Biology and Psychology. Forget chemistry.

make sense?

Makes sense. If you are only going to spend 3 years over A levels you ought to be OK - it's certainly perfectly allowable in terms of exam entry rules. Maths will be old spec AS and then A2 and you will have to do the full A level exams for Psychology and Biology in Summer 2017.

The Biology content hasn't changed that much but exactly what lessons you'd have to go to (and how you would complete the AS practicals if you don't go to the AS lessons) would be up to the college you go to so you'd have to ask them. I
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
Makes sense. If you are only going to spend 3 years over A levels you ought to be OK. Maths will be old spec AS and then A2 and you will have to do the full A level exams for Psychology and Biology in Summer 2017.

Thing is I can do psychology A2 as a private candidate next year. Since there is no coursework. But I won't be able for A2 biology (old spec).
Reply 7
Thing is I can do psychology A2 as a private candidate next year.

I have yet to see a definite statement that the outgoing A2 units will be offered as exams in Summer 2017, In fact, having had a quick scout round, I don't think they are. Read this (Psychology is a Phase 1 subject) http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-W-REFORM-TIMELINE-ALEVEL.PDF
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
I have yet to see a definite statement that the outgoing A2 units will be offered as exams in Summer 2017, In fact, having had a quick scout round, I don't think they are. Read this (Psychology is a Phase 1 subject) http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-W-REFORM-TIMELINE-ALEVEL.PDF

my exam centre said I can.
But is it possible to take the full a level for biology (new specification) in one year? beginning in 2016 september?
i've already studied the old syllabus for AS biology but I can't take it this year unless I do both AS and A2 and that will cost me a lot of time and money.

Please ask me anything if it doesnt make sense.
thanks!

From all you have said I assume you are planning to self study.
Will you be able to take the exams. Yes.
Depending on what you are applying for it seems highly likely you'll need to also pass the practical assessment (not sure how expensive this might be).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by gdunne42
From all you have said I assume you are planning to self study.
Will you be able to take the exams. Yes.
Depending on what you are applying for it seems highly likely you'll need to also pass the practical assessment (not sure how expensive this might be).

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is my solution: Doing maths AS level, Psychology AS level both on old spec
- Also now doing Biology on new spec, first year doesn't require coursework or practical assesments.

If I hopefully pass, I will enter a college and do the rest there.
I dropped Chemistry, not worth it for me.
my exam centre said I can.

According to the link I gave you in my last post you will not be able to take AS Psychology old spec next summer either as you haven't previously cashed it in. Finding that tonight was also news to me but it is something you need to clarify ASAP - don't expect that your exam centre will definitely know the latest information as it's changing all the time.
Reply 12
Original post by Compost
According to the link I gave you in my last post you will not be able to take AS Psychology old spec next summer either as you haven't previously cashed it in. Finding that tonight was also news to me but it is something you need to clarify ASAP - don't expect that your exam centre will definitely know the latest information as it's changing all the time.

dude I want to take A2 psychology next summer

Quick Reply

Latest