The Student Room Group

Why do people think Hijab is a symbol of oppression?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iamthetruth
I don't know I don't see it as oppression it's just a way to dress modestly

How is not covering your hair immodest?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
How is not covering your hair immodest?

Hijab isn't just to cover the hair, it's to cover the body as well. Also to have a modest character is important. :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by iamthetruth
I don't know I don't see it as oppression it's just a way to dress modestly

Why men don't cover their head then?
Original post by simbasdragon
Many people see the hijab as representing the woman's need to be more modest than a man. It suggests that she is being held resposible for men viewing her lustfully, rather than the men themselves being accountable.

Men are told to lower their gazes too. A guy can look once. Second time he looks (lustfully) is deemed forbidden. Most people forget that.
Original post by geniequeen48
Hijab isn't just to cover the hair, it's to cover the body as well. Also to have a modest character is important. :smile:

Well done for dodging the question.
Original post by aamirac
Men are told to lower their gazes too. A guy can look once. Second time he looks (lustfully) is deemed forbidden. Most people forget that.

In that case, would it be ok for men to make the most of that single gaze? Don't stop gazing for as long as possible. Take advantage of the halal moment.
Original post by EastGuava
Well done for dodging the question.

How am I dodging the question?
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
In that case, would it be ok for men to make the most of that single gaze? Don't stop gazing for as long as possible. Take advantage of the halal moment.

That would be kinda creepy. If someones gaze was following you down the street. Muslim or not.

Loool.
Original post by aamirac
That would be kinda creepy. If someones gaze was following you down the street. Muslim or not.

As long as its halal, its all good.
Reply 30
Feeling the wind blowing through your hair is what freedom really is (as a woman, of course).

Sounds great, except it's a mixture of pollution, dust etc.
Because people dont like the fact others choose the way they want to dress ie wear a hijab. Some people dont understand the full meaning of it nor understand Islam properly.
Original post by HAnwar

Haha yeah, tbh if Islam never existed or wearing hijab wasn't obligated anymore, I would still wear it, I like it xD
But women aren't oppressed, it's their choice because they want to wear it.
People have some dark thoughts about hijabis, considering that we are women, people should make an effort more to respect our femininity/womanhood and modesty

like when I was in sixth form, when I used to take the tube, I used to got horrible men looking me up and down sexually they didn't even draw the line or me wearing a hijab
Original post by geniequeen48
How am I dodging the question?

Um, by not actually answering the question. He was blatantly referring to the headscarf so what else the word hijab means doesn't answer the question.
As long as its halal, its all good.

Don't bend the rules. Lower your gaze.
Original post by HAnwar

I know just the perfect attire for you:
Original post by aamirac
Don't bend the rules. Lower your gaze.

Not bending. Just following the halal rule of the first and only gaze.
Um, by not actually answering the question. He was blatantly referring to the headscarf so what else the word hijab means doesn't answer the question.

No I replied not to answer his question, but to clarify that Hijab isn't actually just covering the hair, so covering the hair can be immodest because nowadays there are girls with super tight clothing, full blast makeup, and a little wrap up on their head, and some swear like hell and check out dudes - it just contradicts the meaning of Hijab.

Quick Reply

Latest