The Student Room Group

Why do people think Hijab is a symbol of oppression?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
I know just the perfect attire for you:

Orange isn't my colour though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because they must be so damn uncomfortable and unpleasant to wear, in the heat especially.

(Jk)
Not bending. Just following the halal rule of the first and only gaze.

It would be kinda creepy just gazing at someone down the street though. Lower your gaze.
Original post by aamirac
It would be kinda creepy just gazing at someone down the street though. Lower your gaze.

But the point is that its halal, so its fair game. Like scoffing your face with 20 cheeky kebabs after breaking your fast during Ramadan.
But the point is that its halal, so its fair game. Like scoffing your face with 20 cheeky kebabs after breaking your fast during Ramadan.

Do you even know the reasoning as to why there are two gazes?
Original post by aamirac
Do you even know the reasoning as to why there are two gazes?

Now i'm confused. I thought only one gaze was allowed?
Reply 46
Original post by geniequeen48
Haha yeah, tbh if Islam never existed or wearing hijab wasn't obligated anymore, I would still wear it, I like it xD

Yeah I love it too :smile:
Reply 47

Or painting your face with make-up when wearing a hijab.
It is considered a form of oppression as people are under rule of the Quran which can be considered law or even something higher,
As many people are unfamilar with this people consider it weird and oppressive. It's merely another form of society, culture and religion. If you can't respect it-ignore it. Some people are nudists but do we consider them oppressed?

Ultimately its wrong to think of it as oppression as free will supersedes this but we are all under rule of some sort of power. eg the physical limits of 4 limbs.
Now i'm confused. I thought only one gaze was allowed?

Do you know why that gaze is allowed?
No I replied not to answer his question, but to clarify that Hijab isn't actually just covering the hair, so covering the hair can be immodest because nowadays there are girls with super tight clothing, full blast makeup, and a little wrap up on their head, and some swear like hell and check out dudes - it just contradicts the meaning of Hijab.

Stop being pedantic. It was perfectly clear that I was referring to the headscarf.

Do you think it's immodest to not cover one's hair?
Original post by aamirac
Do you know why that gaze is allowed?

Because not letting men have that first glance would be unbelievably cruel? Considering that every other form of sexual conduct is haram (as well as friendship between boys and girls), apart from activity between a married man and woman.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Stop being pedantic. It was perfectly clear that I was referring to the headscarf.

Do you think it's immodest to not cover one's hair?

Oh sorry, no I don't. I've seen girls without headscarves and they dress modestly.
Also, where did you get this idea from?
:smile:
there are many reasons. Let us assume for a moment that, by hijab, you mean the headscarf

-first off, in some countries the headscarf is obligatory by law, and in some other countries, social pressure is so strong that women are in practice obliged to wear a headscarf.

-even in a country like France, there are parts of towns (the cites) where "improperly covered" women will be harassed, insulted as "whores" etc etc
Add to that, pressure by families and friends

Where the pressure is not so strong, the situation is of course different.

And yes, of course that many women wear a headscarf out of their own volition : in fact, many are proud of it, since they have developed some sort of defiance against what they perceive as an "Islamophobic" society. Or, quite simply, because they think they are obeying God's orders

Why is hijab (in general) a symbol of women's oppression ?

Some personal ideas :

-there seems to be, among Muslim communities, an obsession with women's clothing and, more in general, with any issue that is even remotely connected with female sexuality. Pressure on males is much, much less important

-in Western societies, we are used to admiring female beauty. It does not trigger unstoppable aggressive instincts. On the other hand, in "Islamic" countries, where even partial nudity is unheard of, just a bit of skin, or even simply a woman out on her own can have sexual overtones. As a result, women are routinely harassed on the streets

-there seems to be an unhealthy competition in Islamic circles : non hijabis are judged "not islamic enough" by hijabis, while niqabis may be considered as "even more Islamic" than hijabis. Next steps : gloves, covering one eye etc

-certain forms of hijab (in particular, niqab and burqah) are particularly disturbing, because facial features are almost completely hidden. This is off-putting and even presents security issues. It isolates women from the wider society. While niqab/burkah is not common in Western societies,they have become the symbol of female oppression in countries dominated by Islamic fundamentalism

-in the end, it's about group dynamics : anything which clearly defines your religious identity mean that you will be judged on the basis of the group's identity. It's a bit like people wearing "religious uniforms" in public. It will foster division and, potentially, discord. And, as we have seen, women (who are more clearly identifiable as Muslims) will suffer most

Best

-
(edited 8 years ago)

It's not even written about in the Koran. It's a misunderstanding of the original vocabulary used. The garment women were told to put back on when men came in was used to cover the breasts.
Do any of you guys think that the media (News etc) has had any impact of portraying the hijab?
Original post by TheWaffle
It's not even written about in the Koran. It's a misunderstanding of the original vocabulary used. The garment women were told to put back on when men came in was used to cover the breasts.

The word for the veil is "khimar" in Arabic, and some of the translations say put your veils over your heads or put your headscarves over you heads. Also, Sunni Muslims (dunno about other sects) follow the Sunnah and sayings of the Prophet.
Here's a bit from a website which explains what I'm talking about:

Abu Dawud narrated that 'A'ishah said:
Asma came to see the Messenger of Allah (saws). She was wearing a thin dress; the Prophet (saws) turned away from her and said to her: "O Asma, once a woman reaches the age of puberty no part of her body should be uncovered except her face and hands."
It should be noted that the Arabic word khumur (plural of khimaar) which has been translated above in the ayah from Surat an-Noor as veils, means head covers, not face veils, as may mistakenly be supposed. It refers to a cloth which covers all of the hair. Furthermore, the word juyoob (plural of jaib), also found in the ayah of Surat an-Noor, refers not only to the bosom, as is commonly thought, but also to the neck.

It should be noted that the Arabic word khumur (plural of khimaar) which has been translated above in the ayah from Surat an-Noor as veils, means head covers, not face veils, as may mistakenly be supposed. It refers to a cloth which covers all of the hair. Furthermore, the word juyoob (plural of jaib), also found in the ayah of Surat an-Noor, refers not only to the bosom, as is commonly thought, but also to the neck.
interesting; your sources ?

most Quran translations have in fact "veils" (check e.g. here http://legacy.quran.com/) and some talk about covering "bosoms"

some discussions here :

http://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=8900.0
http://www.quran-islam.org/links_%28P1127%29.html
(these, at first glance, seem to be Quranist/Submitters sites)

best
(edited 8 years ago)
I do view the hijab as a symbol of oppression and gender inequality.

It's a matter of perspective. Leave the muslims alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending