The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by misstac
Me too, last week:smile: what are you applying for?

Computer Science and Philosophy. What about you mate?
for written work, passport photo and confirmation email that if i get an interview would i be able to attend: we send separate emails right? because it says for the passport photo jpeg file AND email title: photo, name, course etc. so i would have to send one email for the passport photo, one for written work, and one reply email with my full name, UCAS id and all other things listed....
Exeter people?
Just went on the Magdalen website and discovered that they do not accept differed entry applications for mathematics and computer science. That's what I applied for. Should I email someone and ask to be reallocated or change course to Computer Science alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by annzabelle
Just went on the Magdalen website and discovered that they do not accept differed entry applications for mathematics and computer science. That's what I applied for. Should I email someone and ask to be reallocated or change course to Computer Science alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It'll be done automatically

EDIT: To clarify, you get considered at a different college anyway, and people are offered Computer Science if they don't for any reason match up with the requirements for Maths+CS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Any Balliol lawyers?
Original post by Princepieman
It'll be done automatically

EDIT: To clarify, you get considered at a different college anyway, and people are offered Computer Science if they don't for any reason match up with the requirements for Maths+CS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I was very worried for a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haien910
What course? :smile:

Experimental psychology
What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ashtwe
To all English applicants, a few queries:
1) Can the written work be type written, marked, then scanned and sent? Or
should it be handwritten?
2) Can we use bold/italic font to highlight a point?
My teacher's never really done this before, so:
3) What does my teacher fill in in the cover sheet if no assistance was given?
None? Or does that reflect badly or something?
4) What does my teacher write for 'context of submitted work'? (It was done over
a weekend) Homework assignment?
5) I'm studying at a uni already, but the teacher marking my essay is from my high school. In this case, what would 'current or more recent school' be? My uni or my previous high school?
Help ASAP!

1) It can be either typed or handwritten as long as the written work is legible. But it has to be marked. I also translated my teachers' comments about work, just in case.
2) I personally didn't use bold/italic because I didn't use those options when I wrote written works for school, so why should I change them? Oxford is looking for original school works.
3) My teacher also didn't give any assistance expect for explaining to the whole class (not only me) what she is looking for in the literature examination essay (that's one of my written works), so I told her to write that. :biggrin: I really don't know whether it is going to have a negative impact, I'm applying for the first time as well. However, I wouldn't want my teachers to write I didn't have any help because that is unreal. How could you properly discuss any topics without at least being given further explanation?
4) If you want, define it as a homework assignment, it surely isn't an examination essay. :biggrin:
5) Your university, of course. Your uni professor should have written a reference letter and filled in written work cover sheet, why a high school teacher?
When it comes to the message you left me, I would tell your teacher to write that you were given three days to complete your work since writing did really take three days. :biggrin:
I hope I helped. :biggrin:
And I understand you, I'm a high school student and nobody helps me, I've translated my written works alone, without any help (and they are really hard to understand because I've used a lot of metaphors etc.) and I applied to Oxford alone, I literally had to beg my teacher to write a reference letter and now I've chased after two of my professors to fill in the cover sheets and write comments which I, again, had to translate. But I don't really mind, at least I know I gave my best. :biggrin: Good luck!
Any here for Trinity? :tongue:
Original post by misstac
Hey, how did you find the BMAT? I'm applying to St John's:biggrin:

Yay another medicine applicant for St John's :smile: Although after the BMAT I stand no chance haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You too!! Trinity is brilliant :tongue: Medicine :smile:
Original post by Faseeh.
Computer Science and Philosophy. What about you mate?

Medicine :biggrin:
Original post by emem2011
Yay another medicine applicant for St John's :smile: Although after the BMAT I stand no chance haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling that!! The bmat was pretty horrendous, which essay did you do?
Original post by misstac
Oh god I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling that!! The bmat was pretty horrendous, which essay did you do?

Mine went awfully. I have no chance whatsoever now🙈 I'm so gutted because I love Oxford! I did the third question, how about you?

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to confirm - we pretty much all feel our entrance exams went rather badly?
Original post by Nancy97
1)
5) Your university, of course. Your uni professor should have written a reference letter and filled in written work cover sheet, why a high school teacher?
When it comes to the message you left me, I would tell your teacher to write that you were given three days to complete your work since writing did really take three days. :biggrin:
I hope I helped. :biggrin:
And I understand you, I'm a high school student and nobody helps me, I've translated my written works alone, without any help (and they are really hard to understand because I've used a lot of metaphors etc.) and I applied to Oxford alone, I literally had to beg my teacher to write a reference letter and now I've chased after two of my professors to fill in the cover sheets and write comments which I, again, had to translate. But I don't really mind, at least I know I gave my best. :biggrin: Good luck!

It's a long story, my professor at uni set me a topic to write on and then suddenly backed out of correcting it. He said that he would be unable to do it and that I should go to 'someone else'. This was yesterday, four days before the deadline! I emailed Oxford, asked if I could send in my essay a little later because I had to find another professor, or if I could get it marked by my high school teacher. They replied saying I could do the latter, as they can't extend the deadline. So now, I'm running around for that!
The course I'm currently doing has no English Lit in it, so I haven't done English lit since I finished school in March! Which is why I'm wondering about the assistance question on the cover sheet.
Good luck to you too! It sounds like you've got your plate full!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, good luck to all with applications! Thought I'd just say - I'm a current student at Keble studying Maths so if anyone has any questions about Keble/Maths feel free to shoot away!
Reply 4298
Any Univ applicants here?? :biggrin:
Original post by antisansculotte
Just to confirm - we pretty much all feel our entrance exams went rather badly?

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much about your test - the tests are supposed to challenge you and see how you think outside the box/how you think when faced with a difficult problem, so they are meant to feel challenging. They are also considered as part of your whole application, so don't worry :smile: (Just reiterating the advice given to us this time last year!)

Latest

Trending

Trending