The Student Room Group

dyslexia

I know this is probs the wrong place for this thread but I have no idea where else I could put it? There is not forum for learning disabilities??

Anyway, I was recently diagnosed with dyslexia and have always had a very positive view on the learning disability (I don't think it's even a disability tbh) until recently I noticed how many people think it literally just makes you stupid.

I was wondering what people on TSR thought/knew about dyslexia or if they've ever been bullied for having it?

(If you are interested, I suggest you read 'The dyslexic advantage' by Dr. Brock Eide and Dr. Fernette Eide - it's a really great book)
Generally I agree with Peter Hitchens view that dyslexia is an excuse used for bad teaching and bad learning. I was told I am dyslexic by someone who came up to my house to evaluate me when I was 16. I basically told him to f off, he also said I had depression at the time. I can learn English if I want to. However I have to want to learn it doesn't come easy to me. I have had to learn how to spell and use grammar since I left school. My mother also got me extra classes. I am not stupid, so I find someone telling me that I dyslexic to be insulting. As that is what I think it means. People called me stupid in school, so when someone said I was dyslexic it hurt me I guess. Some stupid people actually have dyslexia though. Like mentally retarded people, rather than people like me who were never motivated to learn English.
Reply 2
Original post by william walker
Generally I agree with Peter Hitchens view that dyslexia is an excuse used for bad teaching and bad learning. I was told I am dyslexic by someone who came up to my house to evaluate me when I was 16. I basically told him to f off, he also said I had depression at the time. I can learn English if I want to. However I have to want to learn it doesn't come easy to me. I have had to learn how to spell and use grammar since I left school. My mother also got me extra classes. I am not stupid, so I find someone telling me that I dyslexic to be insulting. As that is what I think it means. People called me stupid in school, so when someone said I was dyslexic it hurt me I guess. Some stupid people actually have dyslexia though. Like mentally retarded people, rather than people like me who were never motivated to learn English.

There are scientifically proven neurological differences between dyslexic and non-dyslexic brains - trust me, it's a thing!

It's interesting because I never associated it with stupidity... I just think that dyslexic strengths aren't reflected in western education systems.
Original post by nverjvlev
There are scientifically proven neurological differences between dyslexic and non-dyslexic brains - trust me, it's a thing!

It's interesting because I never associated it with stupidity... I just think that dyslexic strengths aren't reflected in western education systems.

I don't do science in that regard. I believe people through work can improve themselves and overcome dyslexia. However mental retardation, not so much. So in the end it comes down to bad teach and bad learning. It is the same with something like addiction, which isn't real either. You stop being addicted when you want to. It is a matter of will.

What are these dyslexic strengths you speak of? I am actually interested to know, as it could explain why I am able to understand concepts and work things out in my head. Yet I can't read, write or spell very well. My dad is the same. My mother is academically capable, but mentally useless. My brother just isn't that good.
Reply 4
I don't know how being Dyslexic can make someone stupid tbh.

People like Richard Branson, Agatha Christie, Steven Spielberg, Leonardo Da Vinci were far from stupid, yet were Dyslexic, so no being Dyslexic is not a sign of stupidity.

People who say that are just ignorant and narrow minded.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nverjvlev
I know this is probs the wrong place for this thread but I have no idea where else I could put it? There is not forum for learning disabilities??

Anyway, I was recently diagnosed with dyslexia and have always had a very positive view on the learning disability (I don't think it's even a disability tbh) until recently I noticed how many people think it literally just makes you stupid.

I was wondering what people on TSR thought/knew about dyslexia or if they've ever been bullied for having it?

(If you are interested, I suggest you read 'The dyslexic advantage' by Dr. Brock Eide and Dr. Fernette Eide - it's a really great book)

You're right, I don't think there is a specific forum apart from the Learning disabilities in the University section. However I have set up a Communication difficulties society, which can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3677041 :smile:

In answer to your thread, no I don't think it makes people stupid at all! There are people on with course at Uni with dyslexia who are very intelligent and achieve great results :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's the disabled students forum in the universities section.

The problem is, that there are some people who do use it as an excuse just to try. I did used to know someone who was like this. His spell was awful and it was obvious he just wasn't that intelligent and wouldn't actually try. He would always say he couldn't spell because he was Dyslexic. But it was obvious that he wouldn't do anything to try and help himself.

Quick Reply

Latest