The Student Room Group

What's the four best a level subjects for engineering

Probably gonna apply for civil or electric
, shall I do additional math in A2 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Maths Physics and Further Maths are best

If you have no other interest in humanities etc. then take Chemistry too
Also, I've heard people say DT/Engineering (if your school offers it) is good. I've heard better things about DT though than engineering
Reply 3
Original post by Student403
Maths Physics and Further Maths are best

If you have no other interest in humanities etc. then take Chemistry too

Thanks for your advise , luckily I've chosen the right subjects:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly maths and physics. Then further maths. Then anything you want.
Original post by QuantizedLY
Thanks for your advise , luckily I've chosen the right subjects:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome! Which did you choose?
Geology and geography are also good for civil (applying to it myself). Look at the ICE website about subjects.
Reply 7
Awesome! Which did you choose?

Math , further math ,physics and economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Math , further math ,physics and economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool! I have a friend taking the exact same subjects (Although he's applying for econ lol)
Maths and physics are the primary subjects. To secure a wider range of university subject options other than technology then I would strongly consider: English Literature, Music, Geography, History.

It's vitally important to develop and demonstrate a good balanced ability and potential far more than simply going for similar subjects which show a very narrow range of interests and ability.

I personally know three people who gained entry to Cambridge and Warwick with a balance of science and humanities.
Original post by uberteknik
Maths and physics are the primary subjects. To secure a wider range of university subject options other than technology then I would strongly consider: English Literature, Music, Geography, History.

It's vitally important to develop and demonstrate a good balanced ability and potential far more than simply going for similar subjects which show a very narrow range of interests and ability.

I personally know three people who gained entry to Cambridge and Warwick with a balance of science and humanities.

Geography also relates to civil. Humanities also are essay based (is that correct for ALL of them?) which is important for uni as well.
Studying Engineering now I would say, Maths
Further Maths
Physics
D&T/Computing/Chemistry
If you have some ability in them then a language is a good idea too. It opens up more possibilities when it comes to looking for a job or working abroad later, as well as showing you've got a range of abilities.

FWIW I did maths, physics, chemistry and German then engineering (aeronautics) at Durham. I lived and worked in Germany for 5 years, and now I'm back in the UK I'm helping my current company try to win some new work from a German client. I'm hoping to start learning Spanish soon, as we're doing some work in Mexico and Venezuela.
Original post by Duncan2012
If you have some ability in them then a language is a good idea too. It opens up more possibilities when it comes to looking for a job or working abroad later, as well as showing you've got a range of abilities.

FWIW I did maths, physics, chemistry and German then engineering (aeronautics) at Durham. I lived and worked in Germany for 5 years, and now I'm back in the UK I'm helping my current company try to win some new work from a German client. I'm hoping to start learning Spanish soon, as we're doing some work in Mexico and Venezuela.

That's awesome!

I'm taking Maths, Physics, Further Maths and German :biggrin: I'm also hoping to study aeronautical engineering either in the UK or US
Engineering is much much more than science and technology. It is a vast field covering everything from nano-scale materials to high energy particle beam accelerators and everything in between.

Engineering is useless unless the concepts, designs and science can be both recorded and communicated efficiently and with accuracy.

That means engineers must develop skills to write and communucate in both written and visual forms: specifications, executive reports, deliver slick presentations to everyone, including from other engineers to senior management, media, civil servants, accountants, production line operators, scientists, architects, project planners, the list is endless.

So yes, if you have a good grasp of communication and demonstrated flair for creative thinking and ability (literature, music, arts etc), you will find engineering opens up a very rich career path and is the reason why so many employers value engineers highly.

(I am an M.Sc. qualified engineer working in the Aerospace sector).
(edited 8 years ago)
That's awesome!

I'm taking Maths, Physics, Further Maths and German :biggrin: I'm also hoping to study aeronautical engineering either in the UK or US

That's a great combination - you'll have something different on your CV which will interest employers as well as potentially opening up a whole new job market.

Don't forget that just because you study a particular branch of engineering you don't have to work in that field. After uni I joined the army as a Royal Engineers officer, and now I design new oil and gas fields!
Original post by Duncan2012
That's a great combination - you'll have something different on your CV which will interest employers as well as potentially opening up a whole new job market.

Don't forget that just because you study a particular branch of engineering you don't have to work in that field. After uni I joined the army as a Royal Engineers officer, and now I design new oil and gas fields!

That's wonderful to hear! I guess we'll have to see how my interests change :smile: Seems you followed yours well!
Asked my dad since he teaches it......Maths and Physics are a must then chemistry and further maths would look great.
Reply 18
Original post by NathanDYEL
Asked my dad since he teaches it......Maths and Physics are a must then chemistry and further maths would look great.

Thanks! Then I'm doing the right subjects :wink:
Thanks! Then I'm doing the right subjects :wink:

Which engineering type are you deciding to go for?

Quick Reply

Latest