The Student Room Group

Thinking of studying in America

Hey all, I've just started year 12 at college and am starting to think about universities and in particular America universities. Does anyone have any knowledge of applying to US unis? I've done some research online and have seen that the fees are incredibly expensive, especially for international students, is finicial aid hard to get, or a scholarship? Also, what A-levels are seen as a minimum for admission?
Thankd
Original post by Rory_Ewan
Hey all, I've just started year 12 at college and am starting to think about universities and in particular America universities. Does anyone have any knowledge of applying to US unis? I've done some research online and have seen that the fees are incredibly expensive, especially for international students, is finicial aid hard to get, or a scholarship? Also, what A-levels are seen as a minimum for admission?
Thankd

You might wanna look at the forum on here concerning Studying Abroad, but generally the fees are incredibly high, studying in the USA means you won't be able to work in some places (in varies depending on the state). The accommodation is very different as you have room mates rather a room to yourself (again depending on the uni, but generally shared rooms are the case). The most important thing you need to know is that they don't accept A-Levels or BTECs or any other british qualification as they require SAT's when looking at admissions, and you can sit these in the UK but they they are hard as they cover nearly every topic a typical american high school student learns there. There are things such as major and minors and so on, and generally the whole atmosphere is very different. I will be doing a semester abroad in the USA or New Zealand, but my experience will be different than yours. Its a very good opportunity to take but I would recommend you prepare for it now, rather last minute :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by maryamzahid
You might wanna look at the forum on here concerning Studying Abroad, but generally the fees are incredibly high, studying in the USA means you won't be able to work in some places (in varies depending on the state). The accommodation is very different as you have room mates rather a room to yourself (again depending on the uni, but generally shared rooms are the case). The most important thing you need to know is that they don't accept A-Levels or BTECs or any other british qualification as they require SAT's when looking at admissions, and you can sit these in the UK but they they are hard as they cover nearly every topic a typical american high school student learns there. There are things such as major and minors and so on, and generally the whole atmosphere is very different. I will be doing a semester abroad in the USA or New Zealand, but my experience will be different than yours. Its a very good opportunity to take but I would recommend you prepare for it now, rather last minute :smile:

Hey, thank you for the reply! I will have a look at the forum, the fees seem to be the main stumbling block as I doubt I could afford them without a scholarship or financial aid. I'll have a look at the SAT, as you say, better early than late! The different atmosphere and form of higher education I feel would suit me, a broader education rather than a focused one.
Original post by Rory_Ewan
Hey, thank you for the reply! I will have a look at the forum, the fees seem to be the main stumbling block as I doubt I could afford them without a scholarship or financial aid. I'll have a look at the SAT, as you say, better early than late! The different atmosphere and form of higher education I feel would suit me, a broader education rather than a focused one.

No problem! the fees are ridiculous and many US citizens find it hard to go to university there because of it being so high. remember to work hard for a scholarship and see the requirements needed to get one. also, try to look at cheaper accommodation there, rather than living in dorms and stuff :smile:

They do accept A levels!

The SAT is just something most universities require ALL applicants to take (Like the BMAT, MAT, TSA etc.)
Original post by Student403
They do accept A levels!

The SAT is just something most universities require ALL applicants to take (Like the BMAT, MAT, TSA etc.)

I stand corrected! When I was ringing USA universities back in 2012, they said they didn't :frown: obviously was misled, thanks for providing the correct answer
I stand corrected! When I was ringing USA universities back in 2012, they said they didn't :frown: obviously was misled, thanks for providing the correct answer

Ahh okay! That's very misleading of them :frown: Also thank you for being most humble about it :h: haha
Reply 7
Thank you, I'll have a look and just hope for AAA grades!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending