The Student Room Group

What do you think about the new law where police can view our internet history?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A5ko
You're kidding yourself if you don't think this is already happening.

This. Call me cynical, but I'm pretty sure the police already do something similar to this.
Surely they already have some of these kind of powers otherwise how to they bust people for viewing indecent images of children etc.

I think it's a fair power.

I might be a bit embarrassed if my family or friends could see all my browsing history but if an anonymous police person went through it I'd be like "meh", it's not like I've looked at anything terrorist or paedoish.
Would like clarity on what exactly they can arrest us for - (googling how to avoid your TV licence, live streaming, other dodgy and technically illegal stuff)

But in general, nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by billydisco
They will have access to it. Council snooping etc.
No they won't. Access to the data will first need an 'interception warrant' in which the applicant is required to state explicitly the compelling case for the request.

That must first be approved by the Home Secretary. Then it will need the independent approval of a senior panel of judges (commission) before the data can be accessed.

Councils are outright banned from accessing internet connection records.

A new criminal offence (carrying jail terms) of unlawfully accessing internet data will be created - and it will also be a criminal offence for someone who works for a communications firm or public services authority etc. to reveal data has been sought.
Yes I do. I don't rigidly stick 100% to it but I'm almost always obscuring my tracks online, fully encrypted my computer to prevent anyone taking it and examining it. My belief is that because I'm not doing anything wrong, there is no reason why anyone including the government would need to see what I do.
Original post by L i b
terrorists that can cause a great deal of harm are out there merrily using WhatsApp. Just because you can blow up a bus doesn't mean you're particularly technologically au fait.

Your point is? Just because terrorists can safely communicate away from the eyes of the security services that's not a reason to ban such services. In any democracy there is a clear need for people to have some means of communication which the government can't infringe on, warrant or not. Almost every bit of progress we've made to our political system has began as hushed tones and whispering in secret, because the government of the day would have stamped it out if they knew.
I really don't think they'll be reading our history in person, rather running it through filters and looking for specifics. I'm not worried about that because they won't find much of interest in anything I've been doing, I don't like it but I'm not convinced it's for the reason they say it is. One thing for sure is that we don't have any choice in the matter.
Reply 127
Original post by KvasirVanir
Your point is? Just because terrorists can safely communicate away from the eyes of the security services that's not a reason to ban such services

No-one is suggesting banning such services, they're suggesting that the state should be able to review data from them - with approval of a judge and the Home Secretary. We can do it with telephones, we can do it with some electronic communications data - I fail to see why this should be any different.

In any democracy there is a clear need for people to have some means of communication which the government can't infringe on, warrant or not.

Why? Barring things like communication with a solicitor, this has never been the case before. The state has always had the right to intercept mail, phonecalls and other means of communication if a person is suspected of a serious offence.

Almost every bit of progress we've made to our political system has began as hushed tones and whispering in secret, because the government of the day would have stamped it out if they knew.

Talking about policies is not a criminal offence.
Original post by L i b
Christ, at least keep up with the news. The Home Secretary specifically said in introducing the Bill that it would "we will ban local authorities from accessing such data".

The only data that will be closed to local authorities will be internet connection records.

Local authority acquisition of communications data requires the approval of a magistrate and local authorities will not be able to acquire Iinternet connection records for any purpose.

Effectively your local district council will remain able to get hold of mobile phone records to ascertain if a takeaway has contravened a planning condition limiting its opening hours provided a middle aged middle class woman with too much time on her hands now her children have grown up, agrees.
Link us to the report please
lmao Ok bro
Half of me thinks it's terrifying that the authorities now have access to pretty much everything about me, and half of me thinks it's alright because if you haven't done anything wrong nothing's probably going to happen. It's a tough one.
The only "source" you have provided is a link to some random guys ebook. What a silly silly boy you are

I want to see the Homeland securities investigation that reveals 95% of attempts are successful at getting a bomb on board an aircraft

Please post. Thanks bro
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The Blue Axolotl
If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to worry about - Axo.

They simply don't have the time to check each and every single internet user's history, it'd take forever. I imagine they'd just check someone who they have down as suspicious.
Ahh an academic you say! He must be right then!

I know you like telling others to stop making fallacious arguments when all you have done in our exchange apart from make wild and unsubstantiated claims is appeal to authority :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html

Sit down and have a read..

I have looked for it twice and the only thing i see you have provided is a link to your hero's ebook. Maybe its hidden in your walls of text but for clarities sake and the progression of this discussion, just repost it below please

I don't see why you are being so difficult?
(edited 8 years ago)
No i will continue in here, I just learned about appealing to authority :mmm:

So 67 out of 70 succesfully got an "offensive item" through (Most likely majority knives / small firearms), not bombs as you said earlier.

A tiny sample of 70 all in America is not enough to claim that airport security is bad enough that" if terrorists wanted to blow planes up, they would be doing so"

Especially when we cannot judge the deterrent impact of the security measures have and the likelihood terrorists therefore choose perceived softer targets

Not to mention the sources claim the failure rate now is higher than in 2007. Your sources also show TSA stopped 2212 guns getting on board in 2014
(edited 8 years ago)
And then below it:

"It is also unknown which banned weapons, which can range from knives of a certain length to bombs to rifles, the undercover agents got "

Yes I am aware assault rifles and a bomb were used in the tests, this does not mean 67 bombs and rifles got past security.

Without knowing why the tests failed its hard to say. I am sure Egypts security and scanners are American / TSA authorised yet we see a very different picture security wise there than compared to UK for example

Im sure many did get through. Hundreds of millions of screenings a year. Im not saying airport security is fool proof and its impossible to get a bomb on board. I am saying its rubbish that terrorists could do so with ease if they wanted to (Or whatever your original quote was) which implied the only reason terrorists arent doing so is because the desire is not there.

Just to reiterate that the perceived risk of being stopped by airport security is hugely important in itself. If they perceive they have a 1 in 10 chance of getting a bomb on board versus a 100% chance of blowing a bus up, they are going to take the latter 99.9% of the time
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by L i b
No-one is suggesting banning such services, they're suggesting that the state should be able to review data from them - with approval of a judge and the Home Secretary. We can do it with telephones, we can do it with some electronic communications data - I fail to see why this should be any different.

But with encryption you can't just "review data", because it's encrypted. That's kind of the point. And if the encryption has a government backdoor, criminals are probably going to use that backdoor as well meaning we have no privacy. Consider just how much things rely on encryption - Like banking, securing confidential medical records, protecting company trade secrets etc - Todays modern society needs secure encryption, and that means no backdoors.

Would you be happy to do online banking if you knew the encryption was backdoored for the police to have access? I wouldn't, because I'd be afraid of the ramifications when a cyber criminal decided to use the backdoor, he might empty my account and run up a lot of debt in my name. All of this because the government wants to "keep me safe" :biggrin:

Original post by L i b

Why? Barring things like communication with a solicitor, this has never been the case before. The state has always had the right to intercept mail, phonecalls and other means of communication if a person is suspected of a serious offence.

And they still do have the right to intercept and collect as much of the encrypted data as they wish, maybe in 50 years there will be a revolutionary breakthrough and they'll be able to start decrypting some of it. They could always tap phones, but people could always talk in code on the phone if they suspected they were being monitored, and you never had to reveal what you actually meant when you were talking in code. So why should this be different?

Original post by L i b

Talking about policies is not a criminal offence.

It isn't at this point in time, who knows if it might be in future. You can talk about this being fine if you are doing nothing wrong, but the point is that I don't get to chose what wrong means, the government does. So what if I am doing something that I know isn't wrong, but they disagree and think it is wrong? I need a way of concealing my activities so that I don't get into trouble.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KvasirVanir
But with encryption you can't just "review data", because it's encrypted. That's kind of the point. And if the encryption has a government backdoor, criminals are probably going to use that backdoor as well meaning we have no privacy. Consider just how much things rely on encryption - Like banking, securing confidential medical records, protecting company trade secrets etc - Todays modern society needs secure encryption, and that means no backdoors.

Would you be happy to do online banking if you knew the encryption was backdoored for the police to have access? I wouldn't, because I'd be afraid of the ramifications when a cyber criminal decided to use the backdoor, he might empty my account and run up a lot of debt in my name. All of this because the government wants to "keep me safe" :biggrin:

And they still do have the right to intercept and collect as much of the encrypted data as they wish, maybe in 50 years there will be a revolutionary breakthrough and they'll be able to start decrypting some of it. They could always tap phones, but people could always talk in code on the phone if they suspected they were being monitored, and you never had to reveal what you actually meant when you were talking in code. So why should this be different?

It isn't at this point in time, who knows if it might be in future. You can talk about this being fine if you are doing nothing wrong, but the point is that I don't get to chose what wrong means, the government does. So what if I am doing something that I know isn't wrong, but they disagree and think it is wrong? I need a way of concealing my activities so that I don't get into trouble.

Lol what makes you think they haven't decrypted 256 bit encryption, never mind 50 years lol.

In the USA, guess who the largest employer of mathematicians? NSA. They also work closely with our security teams.
They have very very very very many resources, unimaginable to us.

so far 256 is secure as long as your password is random. But how random can we get? Who has like 20+ character passwords? Also as you mentioned there are many flaws exploitable which companies in security sell to govts/big companies.

The fact if you aren't careful, no matter how encrypted things are they can be broken into.

It's scary once you learn the truth lol. Thankfully 256bit is very ****ing hard to breakthrough. Billions of years to crack through by brute force assuming its a good password.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending