The Student Room Group

I want to get into medicine...

I am currently picking A-Level options an I have decided that I really want to do Biology and Chemistry. :biggrin:
So basically, I really want to become a doctor or get somewhere in medicine, but I really am not fond of Maths or Physics and I went to the college I want to apply for and they said it is recommended. Instead, I intend on taking psychology, but i don't want to ruin my chances of becoming a doctor.
What I am thinking is, I rather get A*s in three subjects that I enjoy, rather than two A*s and a B/C in a subject I hate.
Any recommendations? Otherwise, I might give up the medicine dream all together... :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nium2300
I am currently picking A-Level options an I have decided that I really want to do Biology and Chemistry. :biggrin:
So basically, I really want to become a doctor or get somewhere in medicine, but I really am not fond of Maths or Physics and I went to the college I want to apply for and they said it is recommended. Instead, I intend on taking psychology, but i don't want to ruin my chances of becoming a doctor.
What I am thinking is, I rather get A*s in three subjects that I enjoy, rather than two A*s and a B/C in a subject I hate.
Any recommendations? Otherwise, I might give up the medicine dream all together... :frown:

You definitely don't need to do maths or Physics (unless you want to apply to Cambridge). Psychology is a perfectly good option.

And you're right. It is far more important to get AAA.
Reply 2
First of all, what were your gcse grades?
Reply 3
Original post by ubisoft
First of all, what were your gcse grades?
Well, I haven't done them yet but my predicted grades are all As and a Distiction* in Level 2 BTEC Music...
Reply 4

You don't need Maths or Physics (though most unis prefer it, but it wouldn't ruin your chance at all if you did not take it). Most of my friends that got into Medicine for this year did only the required subject (Biology and Chemistry) and a non science subject (Geography, economics)
Reply 5
Original post by ForestCat
You definitely don't need to do maths or Physics (unless you want to apply to Cambridge). Psychology is a perfectly good option.

And you're right. It is far more important to get AAA.

I don't want to go Cambridge.
So I have a chance! Thanks so much!:biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by kkboyk
You don't need Maths or Physics (though most unis prefer it, but it wouldn't ruin your chance at all if you did not take it). Most of my friends that got into Medicine for this year did only the required subject (Biology and Chemistry) and a non science subject (Geography, economics)

Thanks! But would Psychology be good enough?
Reply 7
Chemistry and Biology are both very good choices, and no you certainly don't NEED Maths or Physics unless you're aiming for a top uni.If you get a C or above in Maths GCSE you should be fine!And no, I don't think you should give up on your dream of doing medicine, go for it!
Reply 8
Original post by Mel79
Chemistry and Biology are both very good choices, and no you certainly don't NEED Maths or Physics unless you're aiming for a top uni.If you get a C or above in Maths GCSE you should be fine!And no, I don't think you should give up on your dream of doing medicine, go for it!

Thanks! But is Psychology a good option?

Yes it is.
Reply 10

Absolutely! If you're likely to get a good grade, you should pick it.

Would you choose another subject for AS?
Reply 11
Original post by Mel79
Absolutely! If you're likely to get a good grade, you should pick it.

Would you choose another subject for AS?

Due to the A-Level Reforms, no. I pick 3 A-Level courses, and maybe an extra A-Level depending on my GCSE grades
Reply 12
Due to the A-Level Reforms, no. I pick 3 A-Level courses, and maybe an extra A-Level depending on my GCSE grades

Ok, then if you do really well in Chemistry, Biology and Psychology you'll be fine! :smile:
Reply 13

Whether you do Psychology, Physics, History, English lit or even Sociology willl honestly not matter at all as long as you get the required grades; do lots of work experience; get good reference; do well in interviews.
Reply 14
Psychology is an option, but having maths or physics is better.

Although you don't need maths/physics medicine is a highly competitive course. You'll find that even if you don't take them lots of other people will. Taking psychology is fine, but I think you should take one of maths/ physics to secure your chances of being accepted.
Original post by djbrowniej19
Although you don't need maths/physics medicine is a highly competitive course. You'll find that even if you don't take them lots of other people will. Taking psychology is fine, but I think you should take one of maths/ physics to secure your chances of being accepted.

Doing maths or physics is not going to increase their chances of getting in at all. Picking something they feel they can get an A in is.

Once you have chemistry and biology the other subject choice really doesn't matter. Except that you need an A.
Original post by jokemanz
Psychology is an option, but having maths or physics is better.

No, its not.
Stop listening to the science pushers. Do Biology and Chemistry. And for the other what YOU want and are good at. At the end of the day universities only care if you can meet their offer,,,other than that there are so many other things to differentiate between candidates.

I'm currently a first year and did Biology, Chemistry and English Literature with Geography at AS- It honestly does not matter, if anything, for me doing maths would have hindered my chances because I would have had no motivation whatsoever to do it.
Original post by Dannyboy1236
Stop listening to the science pushers. Do Biology and Chemistry. And for the other what YOU want and are good at. At the end of the day universities only care if you can meet their offer,,,other than that there are so many other things to differentiate between candidates.

I'm currently a first year and did Biology, Chemistry and English Literature with Geography at AS- It honestly does not matter, if anything, for me doing maths would have hindered my chances because I would have had no motivation whatsoever to do it.

How are you finding english literature with the two sciences? I'm thinking of doing the same but with spanish as my forth. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest