The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

I finished my application on 27th October, my principle reference was submitted that day. I'm still waiting for the second one. Beyond frustrating.

Does anyone know when you can send the reminder emails via UCAS? Despite me making sure my second reference had received the request on the day it was sent, he only submitted the 'yes, I will be a reference' part two days ago. Is it two weeks from date of sending, or two weeks from agreeing to be a referee? .
I hope everyone's application process is going well.
I have an interview for a 3-7 SCITT on Friday 13th (typical) and I am so nervous! I was wondering if anyone could give my any help or advice! I have to carry out a discussion with four children using a tray of 'natural objects' which is given to me and I need to have a critical discussion and do a presentation in a group on issues in primary ed such as boys leaving reception at a lower level of ability than girls. Any help will be greatly appreciated I am FREAKING OUT!
Original post by JaneBaratheon
I finished my application on 27th October, my principle reference was submitted that day. I'm still waiting for the second one. Beyond frustrating.

Does anyone know when you can send the reminder emails via UCAS? Despite me making sure my second reference had received the request on the day it was sent, he only submitted the 'yes, I will be a reference' part two days ago. Is it two weeks from date of sending, or two weeks from agreeing to be a referee? .

It's 2 weeks from sending requests.
Original post by gentlegiant
Great news.

Just checked mine and my priniciple reference just came in.

Great feeling, isn't it ... on the other hand, it means that we are now closer to starting stressing out because of interviews :wink:
So I've got an interview Monday (ahhhh) at my third choice place, and the school where I volunteer has basically told me today l be getting a school direct interview before Christmas...
It's so weird having worked so hard to get here and now just feeling so helpless and terrified!!!!
Next week is going to be stressful - QTS for both numeracy and literacy on Monday, and interviewing for my 1st and 2nd choices on Weds and Thurs (PGCE History). Honestly don't know how I'm going to cope. I have work on Sunday and Monday so have almost no prep time (I had to take time off for both of them, so can't really take any more days). I really hope I don't scupper my chances by having everything so close together and on such short notice (only found out yesterday afternoon).

They will recieve an automated email 2 weeks from them accepting to make a reference.

You can make a manual reminder 2 weeks after you sent the requests. On the UCAS application page on the reference section it will give you a time and date of when you can send another request to that reference.
Original post by *tango*
Great feeling, isn't it ... on the other hand, it means that we are now closer to starting stressing out because of interviews :wink:

It is definetly a great feeling, and yes I remember the nerves I had last time around, I hope this time round the butterflies will bugger off. :smile:
Well done everyone on getting interviews!

I have two lined up on 18th and 26th for PGCE primary. They're my second and third choices so hoping I hear from my first choice soon!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Original post by GreenMeerkat
Well done everyone on getting interviews!

I have two lined up on 18th and 26th for PGCE primary. They're my second and third choices so hoping I hear from my first choice soon!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Great news, Good luck
Reply 970
what spellings came up for you?
Original post by ChancedTravels
So I've got an interview Monday (ahhhh) at my third choice place, and the school where I volunteer has basically told me today l be getting a school direct interview before Christmas...
It's so weird having worked so hard to get here and now just feeling so helpless and terrified!!!!

Exactly how I feel ... The school I volunteer also told me I'd get a school direct interview before Christmas. But I don't feel like I'm ready for a LIFE CHANGING interview yet ! !
Original post by Eve38383
Next week is going to be stressful - QTS for both numeracy and literacy on Monday, and interviewing for my 1st and 2nd choices on Weds and Thurs (PGCE History). Honestly don't know how I'm going to cope. I have work on Sunday and Monday so have almost no prep time (I had to take time off for both of them, so can't really take any more days). I really hope I don't scupper my chances by having everything so close together and on such short notice (only found out yesterday afternoon).

Wow it's short notice indeed ... Hope it goes well !
(edited 8 years ago)
Reference submitted this morning, so my application has now been sent. If I wasn't stressing out before, I certainly am now.
Reference submitted this morning, so my application has now been sent. If I wasn't stressing out before, I certainly am now.

Oh I know what you mean, it will all come out in the wash.

Good luck to you and everyone else biting there nails stressed and nervous about upcoming interviews. I will be there soon as well.
It's really starting to wind me up that I'm waiting on my second reference while so many of you are having interviews!

He hasn't even replied to my reminder email asking if I need to rearrange my skills tests. They're in under 2 weeks now so I kind of need to know.
Original post by Aemiliana
It's really starting to wind me up that I'm waiting on my second reference while so many of you are having interviews!

He hasn't even replied to my reminder email asking if I need to rearrange my skills tests. They're in under 2 weeks now so I kind of need to know.

I would definetly phone them on monday and remind them that without the reference you can't pay for it and get it sent. Also add the pressure that interviews are already happening.

I'm hoping my second reference does what he says he will by having it done on Wednesday, whats worse is I've known him for 15 years.

keep you chin up and work the problem, don't let it work you.
Original post by gentlegiant
I would definetly phone them on monday and remind them that without the reference you can't pay for it and get it sent. Also add the pressure that interviews are already happening.

I'm hoping my second reference does what he says he will by having it done on Wednesday, whats worse is I've known him for 15 years.

keep you chin up and work the problem, don't let it work you.

He's a lecturer so is unlikely to be in his office anyway. Besides, I'm in hospital having hearing tests on Monday so making a phone call then is a bad idea for me for like 3 reasons haha.

I emailed him on Thursday so I'll bug him again in a week. I just would have appreciated an email back letting me know either way.

This is pretty par for the course in this uni unfortunately. I should have asked someone from my undergrad uni but they wouldn't be able to comment on my latest work. Ho hum.
He's a lecturer so is unlikely to be in his office anyway. Besides, I'm in hospital having hearing tests on Monday so making a phone call then is a bad idea for me for like 3 reasons haha.

I emailed him on Thursday so I'll bug him again in a week. I just would have appreciated an email back letting me know either way.

This is pretty par for the course in this uni unfortunately. I should have asked someone from my undergrad uni but they wouldn't be able to comment on my latest work. Ho hum.

I was in the exact same position as you yesterday, however within 8 hours my second reference was completed, I paid for and set off my application and one of my choices offered me an interview for next week. Once your reference comes through, it really doesn't take long to get the ball rolling so try not to worry about the timing too much! Besides, everybody who comments on here are mostly people who are super eager and have applied early! A lot of people don't apply until late November/early December, or later!

I would definitely at least try and ring him if he has not responded by next week! You can't brush a direct conversation under the rug like you can do with an email :smile:

If its for your second reference, if memory serves they are like a character reference. so one of your undergrad lecturers should be ok.

Check out the ucas website or contact them about the second reference there should be information about who can be your secondary reference.

Quick Reply