The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redleader1
Do leeds fans consider Huddersfield as rival or anything ? Speaking as a Bradford last team we played Hudders it was merely a derby thats it there was hardly any noise from them and the attendance was 11,000 with 4,000 of us which was shocking :0. In terms of Leeds playing them in the league whats it like ?

Think it's a lot bigger to the dog botherers than it is to us. Like it was pointed out, it's only because we've played them quite a bit recently that it means a bit more than normal games
(edited 8 years ago)
Two sides ending up in the same league often sparks these rivalries which aren't traditional.

Northampton and MK Dons was one, and Northampton vs. Luton.
Every week I expect Brighton to stop, but on they go
Brighton look really good this season, meanwhile big surprise to see Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 down to struggling Charlton.
Would it be so hard for us to get through the first round of a cup?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Wavefunction
Think it's a lot bigger to the dog botherers than it is to us. Like it was pointed out, it's only because we've played them quite a bit recently that it means a bit more than normal games

The dogs generally have a poor atmosphere. But what about when you play Bradford ? I for one can say its pretty intense atmosphere wise, I mean pyro's and 9 mins added time due to crowd disorder.....
Original post by Rock Fan
I think with Huddersfield and Leeds it wasn't much of a derby until recently with them both regularly in the same league, in the past Leeds used to be way ahead of them. Meanwhile trust Fulham to turn out their worst home performance of the season with them being 3-0 down to Birmingham.

I thinks its probably due to Huddersfields small fan base which dont generally have a intense atmosphere. What about Bradford v Leeds, what do you think about that ? I remeber in the 80s it was intense especially 86 due to the chip van incident.
Huddersfield certainly never fill their stadium out, yeah for sure Bradford and Leeds is far more fierce.
Five wins in their last five and 12 goals scored with zero conceded. Hull are in some phenomenal form. All of this has been achieved on the smallest net spend in Europe (and probably the world), Bruce really is a top defensive coach and if this form continues a shoo in for Manager of the Year.
Proof that sometimes it is better to stick by your manager after relegation.
Am I right in saying that all 3 teams that were relegated to the championship stuck by their managers (until the departure of Ramsey a few days ago)?
Sean Dyche couldn't have done much more with that Burnley squad last season. Had they stayed up, it would have made him a guarantee for Manager of the Year. The FA Cup final guaranteed Bruce an extra season too, particularly as he got Hull up in his first season there.

Since Mackay posted the POTY nominees. I was thinking of a Championship TOTY so far:

Jordan Pickford
Moses Adubajo---Curtis Davies---Michael Dawson---James Husband
Albert Adomah---Dale Stephens---Alan Judge---Sam Clucas
Chris Martin---Andre Gray

Judge should win the Player of the Season, but for whatever reason the award has to go to a striker, so Gray will likely win it. Manager of the Year should be Steve Bruce
Original post by Mackay
Two sides ending up in the same league often sparks these rivalries which aren't traditional.

Northampton and MK Dons was one, and Northampton vs. Luton.

For MK Dons, Luton are much more our rivals than Northampton.

Listened on the radio to our match away to Brighton today - sounded like we were unlucky to not coming away with a point, lost 2-1 but had what sounded like a stonewall penalty not given in the second half. :sigh:
Original post by alex_hk90
For MK Dons, Luton are much more our rivals than Northampton.

Listened on the radio to our match away to Brighton today - sounded like we were unlucky to not coming away with a point, lost 2-1 but had what sounded like a stonewall penalty not given in the second half. :sigh:

Are you not rivals with the club you destroyed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Are you not rivals with the club you destroyed?

Well obviously AFC are our arch-rivals, but the comparison was between Luton and Northampton. :h:
Rotherham will finish bottom of the Championship, surely?
Original post by The Wavefunction
Every week I expect Brighton to stop, but on they go

The Seagulls season ticket holder I know expects the run to come to an end each week.

Anyway, Barnet are through to the second round of the FA Cup. Here's hoping for a home draw again.
Still top of the league, all our main rivals (with 3 games or less in hand) dropped points which is fantastic as well.
Just seen Mowatt's screamer. Lovely goal, and his second pearler in a week.

Who do we reckon will be promoted automatically? Despite their strong start, I find it hard to see if Brighton have what it takes for a promotion push. That said, Bournemouth surprised us all.
Hull and 'Brough for automatic spots. Both extremely solid, dangerous going forward and good squad depth.

Quick Reply

Latest